need info quick on wind tolerance please

LSPTpr

I am trooper in New orleans area and sent wife to Miridian, ms in the bighorn. busy as can be an she calling me about how much wind is to much wind for the bighorn and when she should move farther away if winds pick up in the area she in. Would anyone know about what is safe winds for the RV? any info would be appreciated.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I don't know how the BH will hold up to wind other than we were in gusts up to 50mph this spring.

Speaking as a cop's wife, you be careful out there, the public needs you, but your family needs you back even more.
Kristy

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
With a category 3 to possibly a 4...she needs to move as far NORTH as possible!!! As quickly as possible!!!

Uncle Rog

LSPT, a hurricane is like a divorce, somebody is going to lose a mobile home, bad joke tell her to head north...............

LSPTpr

oh she will leave when she knows she needs to. she just worried aobut thunderstorms and gonna leave if spreads out that far. thanks for the 50mph, i was figuring 35-40 gusts. As for me, got my MRE's, water, rubber ducky and foaties. Unforturnately can't leave but got storm shelter to go to. just hoping every else leaves so dont have to go thru same crap after the storm with people that didnt heed the warnings and expect u to come get them then complain cause you took so long to get to them. Thanks again.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
oh she will leave when she knows she needs to. she just worried aobut thunderstorms and gonna leave if spreads out that far. thanks for the 50mph, i was figuring 35-40 gusts. As for me, got my MRE's, water, rubber ducky and foaties. Unforturnately can't leave but got storm shelter to go to. just hoping every else leaves so dont have to go thru same crap after the storm with people that didnt heed the warnings and expect u to come get them then complain cause you took so long to get to them. Thanks again.
Hey Man,Stay safe down there and just know that you and everyone else involved in the hurricane are in our Prayers.Thanks for your service to your fellow man.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I am sure the Vancouver, BC, Canada, Urban Rescue Team is ready and willing to help as they did after Big K blew through.
Keep safe and I know all of us will keep you in our prayers.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Stay safe trooper and tell the wife to head North now.... Not west, don't wait. You know as well as anyone that hesitation can kill you. We may be chewing the same turf really soon. We already have shower trailers being dispatched to the area.

If you wait for the wind to pick up it's going to be too late and she may not be able to pull the trailer. She ain't going to out run the wind once it gets there.

At 25 mph steady winds we are required to shut down per our company guidelines. IIRC At 35 mph high profile vehicles are not supposed to be on the highway per federal law.

If she's driving in a cross wind, a micro burst will flip these trailers in a heart beat. Several transport companies lost both truck and trailers like that this year including our own. Our driver really did a number and did a complete 360* rollover off a bridge in Ontario with a fifth wheel trailer completely totaling the truck and trailer. You could not even tell what they were it was such a mangled mess.

I can tell you for a fact these trailers are a handfull in the wind and when you combine highway speed with a 25 mph cross wind or quartering wing parts like the lower skirts, TV antennaes and awnings bend, break and tear. Now add a little rain to the equation.......Have you ever seen followed somebody trying to drive/pull an RV in a 50 mph wind without the sense to stop. I have and they like to be sideways and lift tires off the ground. I generally won't even drive without a trailer in wind like that.

Stay safe, Godspeed.

Last edited:

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
When I was talking about 50 mph gusts, I meant parked with our JT Stabilizers in place. No way would we drive in 50 mph or anything close to it.

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
I believe that it is a sustained, 80 mph wind needed to topple over a parked fifth wheel. I read that once a long time ago and forget the source,,, Lizzy

LSPTpr

DW back home

Wanted to thank everyone with the wind question i had, maybe should have phrased it better just didnt have quite the time when trying. DW back home now and she didnt have any problems. She followed her checklist that we made up for hooking/unhooking and with some assistance from neighbors did very well. She drove the 5er all by herself and is now a little more confident in her abilities. (i not a good confidence builder when we drive together, but i knew she was capable of doing it). We had minimal home damage (tree debris, roof shingles, and fencing) so i consider that to be lucky. Did find a new Bighorn located on LA 39 in Plaquimines parish. I think the town was Braithwaite. Thanks for the prayers.