Yea! Upgraded our "RVLOCK" - No code needed to lock now!!

Oregon_Camper

The one thing that bugged us about our after-market lock from RVLOCK was having to enter our code every time we wanted to lock the door rather than just push the lock button.

UPDATE -->
I was originally told by RVLOCK only a few versions required both boards to be replace, but RVLOCK contacted me and asked I update this post to inform everyone that two boards are needed for all locks...cost is ~$20.

We can now touch the lock icon without using our code, to lock our door!

You can read more and watch the video on how to change one of the circuit boards on your lock if you'd like this functionality too.

https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/single-post/2017/11/16/No-Lock-Code-Needed---RVLOCK-Upgrade

If you don't already have this aftermarket lock on your RV...then you should consider this change.
Link to RVLOCK on Amazon

Last edited:

Alan_B

Thanks for putting together this video Jim. This is a definite improvement over the standard RV Lock.

One other improvement opportunity: The RV Lock still uses the RV industry master key for the door lock (not the deadbolt). Perhaps another upgrade would be swapping that for a unique lock.

Thanks again.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for sharing, may want to do this! Do they have them for the slam baggage doors too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Thanks for putting together this video Jim. This is a definite improvement over the standard RV Lock.

One other improvement opportunity: The RV Lock still uses the RV industry master key for the door lock (not the deadbolt). Perhaps another upgrade would be swapping that for a unique lock..

Glad to help... :)

Regarding the same master key, I only have 1 key for our RVLOCK and it works on the main lock and the deadbolt. I don't see how this could be the master key you're referring to.

Now, I know for sure the lock on by front storage and power cord reel door DO use that darn lock/key everyone has. :(

Oregon_Camper

Re: Yea! Upgraded our "RVLOCK" - No code needed to lock now!!

Do you have to reprogram the lock?

Yes, however that only takes about 15 seconds.

You hold down the #8 and "Lock" icon for 2 seconds....until you hear a "beep".

Enter factory default code 1-2-3-4...then "lock" icon.

Enter new code & then "lock" icon. Done.

Dang it...now that you asked, I realized I should have shown that in the video. I'm still new to this Blog/Vlog thing...but I'm learning. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing, may want to do this! Do they have them for the slam baggage doors too?

Not sure...but I would have to lean toward saying yes, as those slam baggage locks look very similar. Just give them a call...they are VERY helpful.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

One other improvement opportunity: The RV Lock still uses the RV industry master key for the door lock (not the deadbolt). Perhaps another upgrade would be swapping that for a unique lock.

Thanks again.

Could you just order a new - Non-master cylinder to replace the master lock cylinder?

RoadJunkie

I don't know if the OP ran into the same information as I did, but RV Lock told me today that you need both the new circuit board and a new touch-key pad. With shipping the mod is almost $20, ~$9 for each part. Maybe the need for a keypad is model dependent? Slam door baggage lock modifications are not yet available.

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

I don't know if the OP ran into the same information as I did, but RV Lock told me today that you need both the new circuit board and a new touch-key pad. With shipping the mode is almost $20, ~$9 for each part. Maybe the need for a keypad is model dependent? Slam door baggage lock modifications are not yet available.

I was told the keypad replacement was model specific and most would not need it. However mine did need the keypad replaced, but I didn't show that in the video, due to RVLOCK telling me it was a low number that would need it.

Having said that, I will update the blog, stating some locks will require keypad board replaced as well. BTW...the keypad replacement adds about 3 mins to the process...very easy to do.

avvidclif

I'm in for this as putting in the code to both lock and unlock is kinda bizarre.... Now to contact them for the upgrade.

I have to replace the keypad also.
I purchased mine at the Virginia rally, so it's an older one.
The parts are on order, $21.97 total.

Hockster

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
Unless I'm missing something here if you only hit an icon to lock and unlock where is your security for your unit?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I believe it's only the lock function reduced to one button, not the unlock function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

Why not just use your fobe if you dont want to enter 4 numbers?
:confused:

Key fobs are convenient, but I don't trust them to unknowingly lock/unlock the door when in your pocket. I have squatted with key fobs in my pocket and the truck locks, beeps, and leaves me wondering what the true state of the lock is in. But you're correct, it is an option.

Oregon_Camper

Unless I'm missing something here if you only hit an icon to lock and unlock where is your security for your unit?

Only the "lock" function no longer needs a code. To "unlock" you still need to enter your code.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not just use your fobe if you dont want to enter 4 numbers?
:confused:

There are times I use the remote, but other times (going for hike, motorcycle ride, swimming, etc..) I just don't want the remote in my pocket. For me, just touching the "lock" icon is a lot easier.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired

Only the "lock" function no longer needs a code. To "unlock" you still need to enter your code.

Ok makes sense but to me a waste of 10 bucks in my opinion a code is still needed but glad you are happy with it.

Alan_B

Regarding the same master key, I only have 1 key for our RVLOCK and it works on the main lock and the deadbolt. I don't see how this could be the master key you're referring to.

Most RV doors have two locks, the handle lock and the deadbolt. The owner has one key that works both. The handle lock, if it is RV-master key compatible, also will open with the RV master key. This allows dealership personnel to access all the units with the same key (assuming the deadbolt is not locked).

In your video it is easy to tell that the RV Lock uses a master-key compatible handle lock as it has an "M" stamped into the metal. I asked RV Lock about this and they have chosen to keep their lock compatible with the RV master key. They are probably trying to get their locks used as OEM.

Oregon_Camper

Most RV doors have two locks, the handle lock and the deadbolt. The owner has one key that works both. The handle lock, if it is RV-master key compatible, also will open with the RV master key. This allows dealership personnel to access all the units with the same key (assuming the deadbolt is not locked).

In your video it is easy to tell that the RV Lock uses a master-key compatible handle lock as it has an "M" stamped into the metal. I asked RV Lock about this and they have chosen to keep their lock compatible with the RV master key.

Well that clears that up...Thanks! You learn something new everyday. :)