Awning - how much did I just cost myself?

davelinde

Well... first trip to a local CG we've camped many times in our small rig but now we are a bit bigger -- and oops. The access roads are narrow and tree lined and I've always navigated them carefully and safely before. This time I didn't hug the correct side of the curve and caught the middle of our awning on a tree - sliced up the awning and bent the roller. The rest is fine.

Any ideas what this is going to cost to replace? Can I DIY or should I just have it done? I've watched an awning replace before and it looks easy enough IF you have enough hands (at least two people) and the right parts (on this rig a scaffold could help too - I can borrow that).

Oh well... guess I'm glad the tree didn't snag the roof.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would just call my insurance company:D. I have no idea what the parts would go for.It may be cheaper to go with a new one. Possible upgrade to electric or AE9000.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I would do like Ray said and turn it in to your insurance company. I replaced one on a TT I had some years back and by the time I got thru I said I would never do that again. It was a pain in the B--t. Best to let a qualified person do it (not saying your not qualified) but that's what I would do.

Bill

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi guys..
I had some repairs done on my trailer in 2006. I hooked some Oleander bushes and pulled the Awning off and did some other damage. Got most of it repaired so we could continue our vacation. When we got back home I took it to the Dealer and had the trailer repaired. About 3K... Doors, fiberglass, graphics and awning..

Now that I am fulltime I had to change insurance companies. All of my insurance including an Umbrella policy is double what it normally would be. I am spending about 7-8 hundred a year between all my policies for 3 years.

If you only have an awning problem.. Fix it or have it fixed but don't turn it into your insurance. You will still have to pay a deductable. Check into the costs and ask your insurance agent what it will do to your future policy premiums.

FWIW..

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
If you only have an awning problem.. Fix it or have it fixed but don't turn it into your insurance. You will still have to pay a deductable. Check into the costs and ask your insurance agent what it will do to your future policy premiums.

Totally agree. It's one thing to have windstorm damage that is covered by your comprehensive and another to have collision damage. Surcharge will be applied to the tow vehicle. When I had my "problem" in 2006 with a concrete post that I embedded into my BH, the policy went up $500 the first year and $200 more the second. Even if the 3rd year doesn't have an increase, that was additional premium costs of $1900. I'm not sure I would even mention it to my insurance agent - no use volunteering information if you decide to fix it yourself.

davelinde

... collision damage. Surcharge will be applied to the tow vehicle.

At this point I think I can fix it myself for less than my deductible, so insurance will not be involved. However this statement had me curious -- my TV and RV insurance are with two unrelated companies and no agents are involved we bought the policies directly. (Progressive and NJ Manufacturers if that matters) Does this mean that if I submit a collision damage claim to my RV insurance company they would go to my TV company for the $$'s and the TV company would surcharge me?

cdbMidland

Dave, I can't answer that for you. Perhaps someone who is/was in the insurance business can. I have all vehicles and homeowners on the same policy (at that time - AAA) and I asked why the surcharge was applied to the tow vehicle instead of the trailer, and was told that it is always the tow vehicle that has the surcharge applied. I guess it makes sense because
(1) it was the tow vehicle pulling the trailer that caused the problem - the trailer could not have by itself and
(2) the premium amount of the trailer is significantly less than the tow vehicle, so there is more to surcharge.

Insurance companies share information. When I decided to check with other policies as my AAA was gettting pretty steep, all agents or online companies had access to my claim history.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Check ebay for roller tubes and replacement fabrics. Several RV parts stores on there selling replacements. If all arms and hardware are good, you'll just need a new roller tube and the fabric. With 2 people shouldn't be that hard to do.

cdbMidland

I had a roller tube bend on a travel trailer several years ago because of a downpour and my insurance comprehensive paid for replacement. Fabric was only slightly torn, I offered it to a friend that has construction equipment and he was able to straighten the tube by pressing down on it with a front end loader bucket. Probably not perfectly straight, but it is unnoticeable.

davelinde

Looked at this closer yesterday and got the numbers to buy the parts. The tube is caved in and bent and the awning is shredded.

First quote for parts was $198 for the fabric and $192 for the roller tube. Shipping for both was $167! They told me I might end up cheaper buying the tube, springs and fabric as a package and will send me a form for that quote (still shipping on this is beastly). Still shopping.

So... insurance deductible $500 out of pocket costs $557 - looks like I'll pay this myself.

Shadowchek

We were in a rain storm in our old sob 5ver. I had a pretty good slant on our awning and thought I had it pulled tight. Some water was building up so I went to lower it some more. It came down hard almost got me bent the rod in a 45 degree angle bent the tube scared the everything out of me. I didn't rip the awning suprisingly. I dented the side of the 5ver. They replaced the awning and one small piece of sheet metal and it was 2200.00 5 years ago. Our comprenhensive paid for though. it was a 200 dollar deductable but they never charged us for it and I don't think it affected our insurance price. Was a good lesson to me for the future though.

Greg

Thedonald

I just had an experience that was much the same. While pulling through a gate at a friends farm I did not notice the gate olpen wide enough at the top, but sitting at a slant and therefore much closer at the bottom. I caught the bottom of the awning pole which tore off the fender skirt and pulled the top and bottom mounting loose. I got two estimates from Camping World, 1) if I did the minimum and not report it to the insurance ($1K), and 2) if I reported it to the insurance and repaired everything ($3K). I went with the insurance. The biggest problem was getting the fender skirt for Heartland-about 3 weeks. Otherwise it looks good and I am back in business. Good luck.

davelinde

OK... for anyone who is interested...
I began with an internet source, but they were pretty long lead times and arranging the shipment of an 18' item was a hassle. So I ended up paying a little more to a local RV dealer who carries A&E.

Total cost for the awning tube, fabric, and springs (I didn't need the springs but it was cheaper to buy the assembly) was $544 parts/shipping/tax. I'm pretty sure I can install it myself. Should be here next week.

Shadowchek

Sounds like a very good price. I looked around on the internet and it was looking more like $ 800.00 If it wasn't for the body damage I may have tried it. Actually if it wasn't for the insurance I would have done the whole thing. Good luck.

Greg

davelinde

I saved a little because I am re-using the arms that were not damaged.
Most of the published prices on the internet are for entire awning assemblies. The vendors who provide parts only generally have "call for pricing" on the components. Also, shipping costs for the tube are huge.

I'll know after I do it if I saved any money vs handing it to insurance.

I know already that the lingering shock of this experience has made me even more careful while driving the rig. I guess after 4 years and lots of driving/backing etc I got complacent.

bigredtruck

We had a simlar experience. Left the awning out for a few days without enough slant and it filled with rain. A couple of fittings on the arms broke - cost about $12 at Camping World and a case of beer for the Brother inlaw to rivet back together. Replaced the torn fabric (A&E) for $137. Now we just have to find time to slide the whole assembly back on to the trailer. What really hurt is that it's the 'old' trailer that we are trying to sell so we really didn't want to spend a whole lot.

davelinde

We picked up the awning/roller from the dealer this weekend and installed it in less than two hours - most of the time spend pondering the best way to do it. Now that it's done I can say that it was not too hard at all. For sure a two person job, but the helper does not need to be strong or skilled.

I bought an assembly with the springs pre-tensioned, however tensioning the springs would not have been that hard. On the pre-tensioned springs I can offer the tip that the cotter pins must be very straight before you try to pull them. I tried to pull one with a minor bend on the end and it got pretty stuck in there.

I also learned that you shouldn't screw down the end of the bead until AFTER you close the awning... closing the awning will square it all up and the bead needs to slide slightly left/right to allow it all to square up.

I had THOUGHT that sliding the bead into the channel would be hard, but in our case it was not. The Cyclone is a bit high so I needed a 10' A-frame ladder, but the bead slid in easily. My helper was on an 8' A-frame and was able to help me push the first half into the channel, then the helper moved the ladder and helped by pulling the second half of the bead.

All considered, not a bad DIY.