Lefty's Meatloaf - You mother never made it like this!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty's Meatloaf Version 8.0 -- You mother never made it like this!

Shamelessly Ripped Off from the Ro-tel site. Serial numbers filed off.
Ingredients changed. Stuff added. Stuff taken away. Made it my own.

Hands On: 10 minutes
Total: 1 hour 15 minutes
Makes: 8 servings (1 slice each) (In your dream Red Rider. Bet you can't eat just one!!!)

Ingredients
1-1/2 pounds ground 80% beef. Just plain old hamburger.
1 cup italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons chili powder

You can adjust any of the ingredients to suit your personal taste. Ground pork can be
put in if you like it that way. You can put in some milk to help the binders.

Additional bread crumbs if the mixture is too loose. The two important
things are the seasoned breadcrumbs and the Ro-tel. Any of the Ro-tel products
will work. So, you can use regular Rotel in lieu of the one with Green Chiles.
I usually chop a couple of jalepenos and put them in for more flavor. This is
Texas. after all.

Sauce -- This stuff is sweet but spicy! (I ain't kiddin' here!!!)
1 Can Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce
1 Can Tomato Sauce
1 Can Tomato Paste
1/2 Cup Sugar or more to taste.
3/4 Teaspon Cayenne Pepper more or less. This
Stuff will definitely clear your sinuses.
Basil to Taste
Anything else you want to throw in.

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Combine ground beef, bread, onions, tomatoes, eggs and chili powder in medium bowl.
3. Shape meat loaf mixture into an ungreased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2-inch loaf pan.
4. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until done; drain excess drippings.
Spoon chili sauce over meat loaf; bake an additional 15 minutes.

The time is going to be dependent on the amount of meatloaf and how hot your oven is.

Last edited:

cjbearden

Visitor
Thanks, Lefty, sounds like a keeper to me. DH always says my meatloaf is too plain - your ingredients sound like just the thing to 'spice things up' ;)

CJ

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Play around with it. You can't mess it up. As is, it maybe too spicy if you don't live in the Southwest.

Thanks to you too...I just ripped off your crockpot dressing. Sounded so good, I'm on my way to Walmarts to buy another crockpot!@!!

cjbearden

Visitor
:)Lefty, hope you enjoy the dressing as much as we have - so moist. If you come up with some ways to spice it up, let us know. Awww, sorry about the crockpot purchase! :D I am convinced you can cook anything in a crockpot if you think about it long enough - now for a way to cook the meatloaf and let the grease drain off!

Wow, you aren't kidding, Lefty, on the meatloaf. I think I just made what will become a 'traditional Labor Day meatloaf'! It is wonderful and just the right taste DH and I have been looking for. Thanks again for sharing your great cooking with us.

C.J.

SmokeyBare

Few slices of bread under the meatloaf while it's cooking helps drain the grease from the meatloaf...

Marv

cjbearden

Visitor
Thank you, Marv, great information. I knew someone would have an idea about draining the grease. Definitely will try the meatloaf in crockpot next time.

CJ

jbeletti

Crockpot meatloaf? Sounds good to me. The bread may breakdown but worth trying.

Another idea, a layer of peeled whole carrots cut in half perhaps. Line the bottom with them. Should hold solid enough to keep the meatloaf 3/4" up off the grease. Then take the carrots out with tongs and eat them too!

Jim

flamingknitter

Or ..... how about carrots, potatoes, and onions cut in chunks? I have a recipe for chicken that has those three as a base. It all tastes pretty good and I bet it would work in the crockpot.

Marybeth

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
Greaseless meatloaf

DW found a "double" baking pan for meatloaf at Walmart. The "inside" pan has holes in the bottom for grease to drain off. It sits about a half inch above the bottom of the "outside" pan

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
And, for you weak sisters worried about your cholesterol...

In lieu of hamburger...use 3 pounds ground deer and 1 pound Bob Evans Spicy Patty Susage. Add fresh chopped cilantro and 3+ cloves of garlic with one fresh chopped jalapeno. Correct salt and pepper. Refrigrate over night to allow the flavors to mingle. Check mixture prior to putting in baking dish to insure that it's not too dry or compressed into something resembling large red brick.

Bake 350 degree oven until done.

.that's the way I like it uh-huh, Uhhuh uhhuh!

Oh, Bambi!!!!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Made this for dinner tonight, when finished it weighed over 6 pounds...my son-in-law ate 4 pounds over a two hour period...I get the scraps and scarpings.

Well, he liked it.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Made this tonight. Lefty's meatloaf baked in a cast iron skillet with a bed of rice. If you haven't baked meatloaf in a cast iron skillet, you haven't had meatloaf. Good job on the recipe Lefty.
Peace
Dave

Attachments

• DSC00265.JPG
    DSC00265.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 30

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Loots good Cookie...mine never makes it to the artistic stage...mine barely makes it out of the oven!

Man, it was good.

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
yumo!!!

Shamelessly Ripped Off from the Ro-tel site. Serial numbers filed off.
Ingredients changed. Stuff added. Stuff taken away. Made it my own.

The time is going to be dependent on the amount of meatloaf and how hot your oven is.

I just made this tonight...it was outstanding!!! Thanks for a great recipe