New Torque 396 - not too happy with fit and finish - check out the bathroom pocket door picture!

Equalizer

I just posted another thread about my dysfunctional three seasons wall upgrade. That was dealer installed. I've seen many other examples of poor fit and finish inside though - staples hanging out, no light switches as shown in online photos of the Torque 396 (which I feel is a bait and switch - to turn most of the lights on, they are not mounted above closet like in website photo, instead, they are not only inside cabinet where genset switch is, but they are on SIDE panel inside that cabinet - so you barely have finer room to reach and try any of the 5 or 7 switches in there! Let alone lack of lack of labeling).

Thought it was funny that both sets of black and gray tank dump valves are not labeled either. Not even different colored handles!

Plenty of things like staples hanging way out, trim not miter cut at all (just one cut square to the other, with no filler - and thus a very poor transition), second shower wall peeling away from wall, cabinet door handles so sharp that I will have to sand them down for safety purposes, or replace them.

I think the pocket door takes the cake - not only does it not actually latch closed (yes, I tried jiggling the catch and the door, no luck) - look at how the handle was put in - there is space above AND below the handle, like the person realized, oh, it doesn't go there - and not only that, the cuts aren't straight from the side or through the cross section, like someone picked out their own tool, a jig saw, and just rammed that saw around until they could somehow fit that handle in there.

I mean, if there is apparently NO care to their work done, how can I trust any of the more hidden systems?

I've always bought used until now, but because from all the GLOWING reviews of Heartland, it seemed, this must be the RIGHT choice for me and my family now that I am finally able to go new. Now, it's looking like I will have to fix more stuff than ever before, and I've done projects from fixing up a 25 year old camper to building out a cargo trailer with living quarters from scratch. It's one thing fixing stuff which has been well-used, but stuff that had no thought put into it, like this door - this is ridiculous.

Apologize the image hosting site rotated the image:
2zovm2x.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2zovm2x.jpg

Garypowell

Since you have always bought used....my guess is the previous owner fixed most of the problems. Since you are handy you’ll be doing the same for your rigs next owner. I would suggest to dig in and get them done so you put it behind you and enjoying your rig.

Equalizer

Since you have always bought used....my guess is the previous owner fixed most of the problems. Since you are handy you’ll be doing the same for your rigs next owner. I would suggest to dig in and get them done so you put it behind you and enjoying your rig.

Thanks Gary. I don't mind fixing minor things, but that door handle I shot the picture of - it's really not fix-able, they should have discarded that door and put a new one in. I can't fix a 1/4" gap that is both above and below the handle...

Let me ask you, did you have finish issues that obvious (as the door handle) but unfixed when you took delivery of your unit? (I'm assuming you're the original owner of the one in your sig, if not, then a moot point.)

My previous unit was a Nu-Wa - I didn't need all the fancy appliances, and preferred the garage, but basic stuff seems lacking on this. Not a good feeling when you've signed an expensive loan note and your first feeling upon delivery is "take it back" (but obviously, you're stuck then).

I tried to dismiss all the horror stories I've read over the past year as research as isolated incidents (fresh and black tanks falling out, delamination, etc.).

And the lack of light switches in regular places, really annoying. I am going to have to tape battery powered lights or something all over just to have lights where expected. I thought those days of "do these manufacturer guys even RV?" were over a decade ago, but I guess not. And I do think it's bait and switch that they show PLENTY of accessible light switches in their online sales literature. Yes, I know, features can change - but to take OUT light switches? Makes me wonder if they just tacked those on the wall for the photo shoot, and they were never functional. I don't see the light switches on the Cyclone same floor plan model either when I look at dealer lot photos, only in their online photos.

Garypowell

In my 5 rigs from various manufactures (but the last 2 from Heartland) I have been very blessed that nothing as wrong as your door has been evident. But after a trip or two a few things have come loose and some of the paneled cabinet doors have separated but HL replaced them. Sent them to me to install.

Once I start typing I can't go back to your post....but it seem to recall you said the dealer did the door. But either way someone should be willing to make it good.

Equalizer

Did you do a PDI before accepting your trailer?

Unfortunately, no - the dealer was far away and sent pictures (but not detailed enough to really spot anything). I had them deliver it since it would have taken me almost half as much just for gas, let alone taking the 2-3 days off. Funny thing is I had been considering hiring a private party inspection, but kept thinking, what am I, crazy, this is a new unit!

Hopefully they will either figure out some way to get it corrected remotely or maybe Heartland will authorize some way of fixing it with parts by mail. If all the major systems pan out ok as I start testing them out and using them, I'll be happy... just wanted to get some of these fit/finish things out just to make sure I wasn't crazy thinking it was a bit over the top.

danemayer

With prior approval from Heartland, you can have a local shop or mobile servicer do the warranty work. With mobile service, you'll have to pay their travel charge, but that's often less expensive than taking the trailer to a dealer.

In some situations, Heartland may send you parts for self install. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They may be able to point you to an authorized service location near you and you can discuss whether it makes sense for you to do certain repairs yourself.

As for dealer installed options like the 3 season door, you'll have to work that out with the dealer who did the work. Maybe they'll agree to pay for someone local to fix their mistake.

Equalizer

In my 5 rigs from various manufactures (but the last 2 from Heartland) I have been very blessed that nothing as wrong as your door has been evident. But after a trip or two a few things have come loose and some of the paneled cabinet doors have separated but HL replaced them. Sent them to me to install.

Once I start typing I can't go back to your post....but it seem to recall you said the dealer did the door. But either way someone should be willing to make it good.

Thanks Gary - that is good to know. I've been in a lot of new RVs over the past few years even though this is the first I've bought new. I know I've seen some that were really bad shape overall, very slapped together looking (forgot which brand, it was a cheap one though). I've seen plenty of toy haulers, and never saw anything off-putting (including Road Warrior and Cyclone). Maybe I didn't look quite as closely as one would when purchasing, but somewhat thoroughly. At one point I was very close to purchasing a basic Coleman trailer with a small garage, would have bought if Camping World had come down a bit more on the price, but they wouldn't budge. Even though that's a budget line, everything was ok for what it was.

That is what got me worried seeing this arrive - I am just hoping it's not an indication of their business expanding too rapidly (Heartland is selling more than ever, and RV sales are way up this year).

The door that the dealer did was my other post about the three season wall. I really wanted the factory to put it in too, but upon speaking with a rep, they said they're changing their methodology and not allowing ANY customizations any more. A couple of years ago, yeah, they'd probably accept some swaps. (they wouldn't even swap the couch for a table and chairs and recliner/small couch, for example) I was thinking, well, maybe it's good, keep everything 100% the same, better quality output.

Thank you both for the camaraderie. It definitely helps to get other owners' feedback! To be honest, if it wasn't for the dealer-installed three season wall (and its multiple issues) and that bathroom door hack job, I'd be feeling a lot better about the other minor things. (like, the lights - yeah, they're all LED, but boy are they very blue LEDs! and since they're not bulbs, I'd have to change the fixtures out to get a different color temp, which is what I'll do - plus many of them have this very hard-to-use 1/16" "switch" sticking out in the middle of the light, hard to see when light is on, and blinding, and two of the lights don't even turn on at all - I'd rather have the old-fashioned RV light fixtures; these came across as being a very cheap way of saying 'all LED lighting' when they're just not very good LEDs)

- - - Updated - - -

With prior approval from Heartland, you can have a local shop or mobile servicer do the warranty work. With mobile service, you'll have to pay their travel charge, but that's often less expensive than taking the trailer to a dealer.

In some situations, Heartland may send you parts for self install. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They may be able to point you to an authorized service location near you and you can discuss whether it makes sense for you to do certain repairs yourself.

As for dealer installed options like the 3 season door, you'll have to work that out with the dealer who did the work. Maybe they'll agree to pay for someone local to fix their mistake.

Thanks Dan - yeah I don't mind paying travel for mobile repair. I'll try calling them direct next week. I guess I was thinking, are they going to tell me "well, did you call your dealer already?" - so I was waiting on the dealer to get back to me, which they haven't (sent them photos on Monday - know it's been a holiday week though of course).

In your experience, can I just call Heartland anyway and expect them to help me out, or do they need to have proof from the dealer that they were contacted first about any issues? If I can just work directly without worry about being reprimanded, that's fine with me, and preferred.

danemayer

Thanks Dan - yeah I don't mind paying travel for mobile repair. I'll try calling them direct next week. I guess I was thinking, are they going to tell me "well, did you call your dealer already?" - so I was waiting on the dealer to get back to me, which they haven't (sent them photos on Monday - know it's been a holiday week though of course).

In your experience, can I just call Heartland anyway and expect them to help me out, or do they need to have proof from the dealer that they were contacted first about any issues? If I can just work directly without worry about being reprimanded, that's fine with me, and preferred.

It's pretty common to need warranty service when you're not close to your selling dealership. Just imagine taking a cross country trip while under warranty. I'm sure Heartland will help you get the warranty issues resolved.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
After just one visit back to our selling dealer for warranty work, scheduled far in advance, while we waited, we swore we would not go back to a dealer. They mislead us, did not fix things, and tried to blame Heartland.

Instead I call Heartland direct and they are able to ship parts direct. We have not had anything we could not fix ourselves. In our second year we have had an AC issue and now a furnace issue, both of which are likely covered by the manufacturer's (Dometic and Suburban, respectively) warranty, yet we had to pay for a mobile tech to come look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Equalizer

After just one visit back to our selling dealer for warranty work, scheduled far in advance, while we waited, we swore we would not go back to a dealer. They mislead us, did not fix things, and tried to blame Heartland.

Instead I call Heartland direct and they are able to ship parts direct. We have not had anything we could not fix ourselves. In our second year we have had an AC issue and now a furnace issue, both of which are likely covered by the manufacturer's (Dometic and Suburban, respectively) warranty, yet we had to pay for a mobile tech to come look at them.

Yep, those dealers sure love to blame the manufacturer, don't they?! And just try to do as little as possible, in general. When I bought a used MH from Camping World long ago, I had to go back three times just to get most of the issues I initially found with it taken care of (before I signed off on the PDI). I already knew Camping World wasn't an ideal place... but over the years I've realized most dealers are not so different.

Sorry to hear you've had both an AC and a furnace issue just in the second year. Glad to hear Heartland was easy to work with directly. It's one of the reasons I chose Heartland over Keystone, better experiences overall it seemed on forums for getting stuff taken care of directly.

Garypowell

I just complimented you on another thread and thought I should put it here too. I have appreciated your attitude during this thread. Obviously we can tell you are disappointed but you are taking responsibility for your decisions and not just throwing rocks at everyone.

Many dont maintain a good perspective During trying times......appreciate that you seem to. Before long you’ll work through this and move on to enjoying you new rig.