Firearms in an RV

bpmills

If your 5th wheel is considered your second home, is there a problem with having a firearm on board for your protection?
Thanks, Burt

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The only thing I know for sure is don't try to cross the border and get caught. I do know RVers that carry hand guns, weather legal or not, I don't know. I would think it's by the state you are licensed in.

beardedone

Beardedone
Don't even consider enteing Canada with them. Period. Even if you are going through to Alaska, still don't do it. If you lie about it at the border and they find them in secondary it is that much worse.

SmokeyBare

When we started our Full Timing Adventure... I bought and carried a pump shotgun. It got such a pain dealing with it... always needing to stand it up... as it would often lean over during our travel.

Then I started thinking I should just get rid if it. Well... next concern was HOW... How to safely get rid of it... so it didn't fall into someone's hands I'd be sorry for later.... I sure didn't want to take it to the local flea market... or sell it at some location... only to find a call later... asking if i knew where my Gun I signed for was....

Well... I ended up co-signing it over to a Gun Shop. They put it up for sale... and a month or so later they sent a check for the gun that finally sold. At least I had a paper trail of what I felt was a safe re-sale of the gun.

To this day I'm not sorry I sold it... never yet... over 4 years of full timing... have I ever felt the need for any security. It's so far been a very safe Adventure !!

fhollan

Firearms!

Ray is correct! Depending on each individual state, the laws on firearms are different. Here in Indiana it takes a background check for a person to apply for a personal protection permit. No felonies! That will alow the individual to carry that firearm anywhere in the state of Indiana. It is no good outside of Indiana. (The permit is for handguns only.) I suggest you do your homework and check out the firearm laws in the state you're interested in.

As for police officers, the president signed a Senate Bill into law several years ago allowing police officers to carry their weapons anywhere in the U.S. However, there are certain provisions.

Ray is also correct that many RVers carry a weapon no matter where they go. It is a chance you take. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

StevieWonder

I take a Colt Python .357 magnum and a S&W 9mm. I don't flash them but they are in the house and I practice with them.

I found leaving a sample target from the range in the front seat of my car is a HUGE attention getter. LOTS of comments from passersby. Nobody seems interested in finding out if they are planted or indicative of my actual prowess with the weapon (they are actually very real samples).

vangoes

As previously stated, every state law is different and if you are carrying a firearm you should check the individual state laws that you are traveling in. For example, in some states your RV is considered a home and the laws pertain to weapons in your home.....in other states, your RV is considered a motor vehicle and those laws apply. It is really screwed up. I have a concealed carry permit, and I still check the laws of each state as some states honor my permit and some don't. You can look on the NRA site and it has a summary of the different states laws.

fmurray3

In most states when your RV, mobile home, travel trailer etc. is attached to your vehicle and is mobile it falls under the same laws as a vehicle while in transit and any firearm within must be carried in the same manner as in the vehicle, again depending upon the state laws you are in. When the RV, mobile home,travel trailer is unattached and setup it is considered a home and is goverened under the same laws as your house including your constitional rights. But each state is different and the laws for mobile change regularly so you have to check them frequently. I was in law enforcement for 33 years in Tennessee and in Florida and the firearm laws changed several times before I retired 2 years ago. To keep from having your firearms consficated while traveling be sure to check the laws for each state you will be traveling in. These laws can be found onine for each state.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Here is another source for "carry" information. Remember, laws vary great between long guns and handguns.

Best Wishes!

Delaine and Lindy

We carry and have a C/C permit. She has a 38 caL Lady Smith hammer less, I have a Tarus "Judge" 410 gage, Tarus 9 mm 15 shot and a Henry Lever action. They are loaded and ready. They are for protection and are only fired for training. I never owned a hand gun while in the Army for 26 years always felt safe in the US, but when I retired that all changed. I haven't fired a weapon in anger since 1968. And I hope I never do. A weapon is used for one thing and thats to Kill, never draw a weapon unless you are prepared to take a life. Our stimilus money was used to buy weapons and ammo. Its a choice each has to make. I to had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. GBY...