Power control system

rdgt67

Has any one bypassed or disabled the power control system on a landmark 365? My amp useage shows off the charts and it shed systems. I dont believe it as no breakers ever pop and some systems still work. It even showed a brown out with 2 ac's and a tv going. If i can eliminate the pcs i can figure out what is really going on. Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Before getting too deep into it, you should make sure you have working 50 amp service, and that the PCS unit is showing 50 amp service on its display.

There is a "limp home" feature where the controller stops managing the loads. It's supposed to automatically go into that mode if the display and controller are plugged together and a data mismatch between the display and the controller is detected. If there's a malfunction on either component, unplugging the display and replugging it may trigger the data mismatch error and put the controller into limp home mode.

If you take the display away from the wall and unplug the connector for 10 seconds, and re-plug, there's a chance it might go into limp home mode either when the connector is pulled, or when re-plugged. But that's just a guess. I haven't found any information on how to deliberately turn off the controller or put it into limp home mode manually, and I've not seen any posts to date where someone has figured it out.

jbeletti

Hi Pat and Debbie,

Sorry to hear your trouble with the PCS. Here's a link to all the documents for the PCS that we have in our archive of manuals.

The PCS has a Limp Home feature but I couldn't find any information about it. I think it puts itself in that mode if the controller logic fails.

I once had a similar issue as you. The problem ended up being a short in the AC power feed to the water heater at the metal junction box on the back of the water heater.

To make matters worse, before I found that short, I reset my 50 amp breaker and the breaker at the pedestal many times. In doing so, I caused 1 of the "current cups" to break (internally). This freaked the PCS logic out and it acted like yours is.

The repair for me was:
1. Repair short circuit
2. Replace PCS relay/logic board (current cups are part of the board)

This all said, I'm not saying you have a short circuit at your water heater - just letting you know what my issue was. I

porthole

Retired
Contact PCS.

I queried them earlier in the year about some of the operations and re-programming and although I wasn't crazy about the re-programming answers, they did get back to me right away with some details.

jbeletti

Contact PCS.

I queried them earlier in the year about some of the operations and re-programming and although I wasn't crazy about the re-programming answers, they did get back to me right away with some details.

I agree with Duane on this. I too have spoken to the owner, George Cepynsky a couple of times and he's been very helpful. He will know from your description, what the issue us.

Precision Circuits, Inc. (Power Control System)
(630) 515-9100
Precision Circuit's Website
eMail Precision Circuits

rdgt67

First thing Monday i will be on the phone. Both legs show 124 volts and one leg shows 80 amps while the other shows one. I read jims thread and my issue sounds a lot like his. I had a surge and i think the pcs is the root of my issues. I have since bought an external surve protector (hindsight) now that i know the built in one is inadaquate.

jbeletti

Pat - if Precision determines that the surge blew the current cups (device that measures current draw on L1 and L2 power legs), you will then need to replace the control board of the PCS.

If you're a DIYer and comfortable working with wiring, this is not too difficult to do. If you decide to do it yourself, PM me your phone number and I can talk you through the process before you begin.

rdgt67

Update: precision circuits is sending me a new control board. Cant actually say what happened but the system is corrupt. Should be back in operation in a few days. The tech said i could reset the system by turning off the coach 12 volt system and turning it back on. He said it might reset itself. I decided to leave well enough alone.

rdgt67

Hopefully its fixed. New circuit board installed and everything is working. I learned a lot from this.

jbeletti

Hopefully its fixed. New circuit board installed and everything is working. I learned a lot from this.

Excellent Pat. Let us know here, once you know it's all good. Also, if you have determined the cause of the failure, that would be helpful too.

rdgt67

I have a thought what caused it but not sure. I was in a hurry hooking up and had a power surge after turning on pedestal power. Both 50 amp breakers popped in the trailer. Reset them and power came on ok. Thats when the fun started. I hooked up the fresh water to rhe black tank flush. I use qd's and didnt catch my error. Broke a pipe, black water sprays onto rhe converter. Had ro replace it and somewhere in here the fireplace quite. Then the front ac and dryer. Thats when i noticed the amps. Either the power surge or the converter going out. Everything sorta went south at once.