level indicator on fresh water tank

kbsplus2

on our trip this weekend I opted to not fill our fresh water tank as it showed 2/3 sitting level. (for weight issues and fuel economy up the mtn)
Our level showed 1/3 when the pump started to sputter. We cut our trip short due to weather, other issues and no water. When we got home I dumped the waste tanks and drained the fresh water and only got about 7 gals. out (measured into 5 gal. bucket). Weird thing is that the indicator panel still shows 1/3 on fresh water and 0 on grey and black. I have heard of waste tank sensors getting fouled but not fresh water. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Jimmyt5

My fresh water tank shows 1/3. I have messed with it and finaly thought this is not the hill I am going to die on, the heck with it. :)
Hope someone knows what to do.......

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sadly, we have never relied on our sensors weather they be for fresh, grey or black water. I have never had an RV that the sensors were accurate. Sometimes they work fine, most of the time, not. If we a planning a stop in a park without water hookups we usually travel with about 10 gallons in the fresh tank.When we arrive we fill the fresh and use sparingly and it will usually last 4 to 5 days including showering. Our fresh capacity does not equal our grey and black capacity combined so we're not too concerned about overfilling them. When we're in a park without sewer we watch the shower drain cause that's the one that will fill and back up first. Our grey and black sensors seem more accurate than the fresh. Remember to drain and sanitize your fresh tank regularly.

Catmando

Mine did the same thing last time I was out. Thankfully, I was able to hook up to a nearby city water connection.

jbeletti

kbsplus2,

Sorry to hear about your fresh water tank sensor issue. While not meant to be any consolation, on my 2009 Landmark, my freshwater tank has indicated 1/3 since it was new. Whether the tank is full or empty :( Fortunately for me, I rarely need to rely on using this tank. This weekend is different as I am connected to power only for 4 days. I did slowly fill the fresh water tank until it ran out of the vent next to the fresh water fill. As for the indicators this weekend.... Still reads 1/3 :) But when it is out, it is out - no matter the reading.

I plan to have it looked at and I feel you should too. My sense is that there is a discontinuity in the tank sensor wires back to the monitor panel or perhaps even a monitor panel failure. Let your dealer take care of it unless you want to tear into it yourself.

Jim

bigredtruck

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. Just got the Cyclone on Tuesday:D and DH filled it when he left it with me and I added water when I saw 1/3. Now, have to admit that the 5 year old may not have turned the tap on all the way (water tap is about 125 ft away) so it may not have been filling as fast as possible. But went inside after about 10 minutes and it still said 1/3. Since we only had one day to go, I just left it at that. Next day, pump started making funny noises, like it wasn't getting anything. And although sensor still said 1/3, we were out of water. Since we are 2300 miles from dealer, will just have to learn to live with it for now, until something serious calls for a trip to a repair shop. :) Other than that, we have not found any problems and are very happy with the rig and the PDI service we got at Lakeshore RV. they fixed everything with a smile and DH felt very well treated. DH did lose the FM antenna on a tree on the way home though......and, like everyone else, we can't figure out the speakers on the stereo:( Good thing the rain was so loud the other night that the neighbors couldn't hear Alvin and the Chipmunks.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Same issue here. Service dept at dealer said it's usually either a suction hose being cut off too short or the sensor mounted too low. Will have it looked at in Oct. when we take it in for service. He gave a tip for telling if it is the sensor. Drain the tank completely and then begin filling it while watching the monitor. If it shows 1/3 very quickly, it's probably the sensor which would make sense as it takes awhile even with good pressure to fill up that big of a tank.

jbeletti

Lori,

If you filled it for some time, I'd say it has water in it. I'd suspect the line from the tank to the pump as having an issue. Don't be afraid - have DH pull the bulkhead wall open and check it out.

Jim

me15

My Razor is also showing 1/3 of a tank when it should be empty. Took it in under warranty and my dealer said the sensor is working but the way the drain hose is snaked trough the frame it wont allow the tank to drain completely. Since Razors have 105 gallons of fresh and All I do is dry camp this is a big concern to me. And also the ability to winterize my rig. I dont want to have 20 gal of water in the tank all winter. I am taking it back in Friday to have it fixed.

kbsplus2

I finally found out why the tank sensor showed 1/3 and not pumping water. Two tanks are installed and the taps are not on the bottom of the tank, but on the side of the tank. The tank that has the pump tap is actually higher than the 2nd tank, and the crossover is 1/2 way up the side of the tank. So when I completely drain all that will come out I still have 30 gals. in fresh water that will never get to come out. How do you justify that and how do I winterize and sanitize the tanks? Shouldn't the taps be on the bottom?

porthole

Retired
and, like everyone else, we can't figure out the speakers on the stereo:(

Cyclone:
Outside speakers - you use the fader control to adjust the volume level. When we are using the outside speakers I set the fade all the way to the rear "R". That gives me all the volume on the "front" outside speakers.

When using the fade to the front "F" I get the four inside ceiling speakers, which can only be adjusted left to right with the balance control.

BTW, I found a Jensen wired remote which I mounted on the the propane door to give my radio control when sitting outside.

porthole

Retired
On my previous Sunnybrook and on the new Cyclone our tank indicators seem to be right on. Maybe we got lucky twice.

Anyway, what I have found for holding levels is that the kitchen sink will begin to backup when tank #1 is full.
The bathroom sink will start to drain slowly when tank #2 is near full. I have yet to see water come up the shower drain yet.

The black tank we have yet to see an indication of the tank capacity "visually", such as the toilet burping.

Either way the indicator seems to be fairly accurate.

rtataryn

I finally found out why the tank sensor showed 1/3 and not pumping water. Two tanks are installed and the taps are not on the bottom of the tank, but on the side of the tank. The tank that has the pump tap is actually higher than the 2nd tank, and the crossover is 1/2 way up the side of the tank. So when I completely drain all that will come out I still have 30 gals. in fresh water that will never get to come out. How do you justify that and how do I winterize and sanitize the tanks? Shouldn't the taps be on the bottom?

I have the same issue with my new 3010, and am looking for a solution. Seems like this is a problem issue for a lot of us.