bouncing front to back when rolling ?

Marc123

I got new F450 2017 with Curt Q24 for pullling a Heartland Roar Warrior toy hauler 16000 lbs 3 axles and for my first ryde , I got terrible bouncing front to back when rolling ?

Can you help me to resolve this trouble ?

mlpeloquin

Sounds like chucking. Forward/backward push/pull. We changed to a Trailair Flex-Air pin box and it works well. Others have used Mor-Ride pin box and then there is the Anderson hitch.

John T Bettencourt

Some people with a Curt Hitch are saying there is to much slop in the hitch. Check that and if there is the trailer will act like yours. Call Curt they will replace the top of your hitch.

Marc123

Sounds like chucking. Forward/backward push/pull. We changed to a Trailair Flex-Air pin box and it works well. Others have used Mor-Ride pin box and then there is the Anderson hitch.

Why with my 2008 Freightliner rew Cab , I never had this problem and I change it for a 2017 F450 and this chucking trouble started ?

LBR

Does your new truck have Ford puck system mounting? If so, did you buy new dedicated Curt puck base mounts for the head, or use a picture frame adapter?

LBR

yes ,it's very tight
I'm right behind you on this problem then...

I just went into a 2017 F-450 from a 2003 F-550. The 550 has a full-on air bag rear system and my 1 year old Q24 rail mount hitch.... absolutely no chucking as you stated also. I'm assuming your Freightliner was a 5 series M-2? If so, our old trucks were similarly statured, but the rear air bags may be the key? I just bought the Curt puck bases and haven't even swapped them yet. Our first pull with the new truck will be mid-December.

I hope you can find the chucking issue soon. I will report back with my 1,000 mile first pull on our 20K loaded Cyclone.

PondSkum

Just curious, did you have a toy in the garage of the toy hauler? I've noticed that my RW does a little more chucking/bouncing when the garage is not occupied by my Ranger. It rides way smoother with that weight back there behind the axles. It could be weight distribution issue.

Marc123

Just curious, did you have a toy in the garage of the toy hauler? I've noticed that my RW does a little more chucking/bouncing when the garage is not occupied by my Ranger. It rides way smoother with that weight back there behind the axles. It could be weight distribution issue.

I made a vidéo today of my trouble , it's the top plate moving front and back between the rubber bushing ..... I called Curt this afternoon and the guys told me that it's problably the rubber bushing trouble ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGus7tDxI4&feature=youtu.be

It's not normal that is moving like that , it's what thy told me .... to fallow tomorrow , they want a picture of the rubber bushing

Marc123

I made a vidéo today of my trouble , it's the top plate moving front and back between the rubber bushing ..... I called Curt this afternoon and the guys told me that it's problably the rubber bushing trouble ....

It's not normal that is moving like that , it's what thy told me .... to fallow tomorrow , they want a picture of the rubber bushing

My toy hauler was empty when I made the test but I never had this trouble over 3 years with my Freightliner M2 Crew Cab ....

John T Bettencourt

Curt is saying that the proble is the trailer brake that come factory installed in the truck ( all three makes) they are set up for a certain towing weight and if you are towing less you will get chucking. The only way to fix it is to install a brake control like the old days. I have a friend that is doing that now.

LBR

I'll bet the first thing Curt rep says after seeing your video is to run double friction plates together to verify if it helps....pretty sure their literature gives the go-ahead to stack 2 together.

Alan_B

Curt is saying that the proble is the trailer brake that come factory installed in the truck ( all three makes) they are set up for a certain towing weight and if you are towing less you will get chucking. The only way to fix it is to install a brake control like the old days. I have a friend that is doing that now.

I am not an engineer but that explanation doesn't sound right. The chucking is occurring as you drive down the road, not just when you are braking, correct?

Marc123

I am not an engineer but that explanation doesn't sound right. The chucking is occurring as you drive down the road, not just when you are braking, correct?

Hello John , I did a test by disconnecting the electric cable from my fift Wheel and I had the same trouble .... it's not a brake trouble

porthole

Retired

That is absurd. And the curt rep that said has no idea what he is talking about.

mlpeloquin

I'll bet the first thing Curt rep says after seeing your video is to run double friction plates together to verify if it helps....pretty sure their literature gives the go-ahead to stack 2 together.

This should not be a brake controller problem. You are not braking! Your OEM or an add on controller will still not be braking! If there is room for two friction plates, then there is too much slop in the manufacturing of the hitch. I have a Husky and could not even think of fitting a second friction plate because there is not enough space.

Last edited: