Anyone Ever Hit Their Head On Pin Box?

Skywrench

Full Timer
The Lippert pin box on my toy hauler is full of sharp angles and sharp edges. As full timers, I've bumped my head on the pin box or king pin several times. My wife smacked her head on the corner of the pin box today requiring a visit to the ER. My search for solutions on the internet didn't yield much. I don't use a tripod but thinking that would keep one from walking under the pin box. I found a company called RV Safe Zone. I ordered one of their pin box cushions just now. I'll post back after I receive it to give feedback. Any other ideas would be appreciated (post pictures if possible).

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I don't know what the answer to this problem except vigilance. I have seen stars on more than one occasion because of the pin box. I have seen the RV Safe Zone being used and it looks cool and probably protects well but they're a bit spendy. I can duck for free!

mlpeloquin

Hit my head a couple of times till I change the standard pin box to the Trailair Flex-Air and now hang a welcome sign on it. Don't know what to do about hitting one's head on the over hang edge though when working around the front end. Peeled off some skin inside a hat twice from hitting that overhang edge!

Last edited:

Skywrench

Full Timer
I've gotten way better at being vigilant after the first few times but after my wife got hurt today I decided to do something even if it costs some extra cash. Most pin boxes look like they are designed to do maximum damage upon impact with a careless head.

MurrayN.

Get a cheap hollow pool noodle and cover all sharp edges with it. I have them on my bedroom slideout which is the perfect height for braining yourself.

jbeletti

The RV-Safe Zone product is great. I've had one for many years. That said, I think I need a new one as the one I have fits the MORryde pinbox and I just swapped it out for the LCI Flexair.

Garypowell

Maybe it would be less expensive to buy a couple pounds of “Vigilance”. See it mentioned above but no one mentioned the cost or supplier!

CoveredWagon

Buy a piece of 1 inch foam pipe insulation. Wipe off those edges and cut pieces to fit. Apply with Goop and you’re good to go. So far ours has stayed in place for 3000 miles at highway speed.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not the pin box, but the bottom of the overhang when taking a shortcut across the front. That and the cover inside the DS cargo bay for the W/D lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
The Lippert pin box on my toy hauler is full of sharp angles and sharp edges. As full timers, I've bumped my head on the pin box or king pin several times. My wife smacked her head on the corner of the pin box today requiring a visit to the ER. My search for solutions on the internet didn't yield much. I don't use a tripod but thinking that would keep one from walking under the pin box. I found a company called RV Safe Zone. I ordered one of their pin box cushions just now. I'll post back after I receive it to give feedback. Any other ideas would be appreciated (post pictures if possible).
Yes, a few times. But like Pavlov's dog I finally learned. Trace

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Lippert pin box on my toy hauler is full of sharp angles and sharp edges. As full timers, I've bumped my head on the pin box or king pin several times. My wife smacked her head on the corner of the pin box today requiring a visit to the ER. My search for solutions on the internet didn't yield much. I don't use a tripod but thinking that would keep one from walking under the pin box. I foundeee a company called RV Safe Zone. I ordered one of their pin box cushions just now. I'll post back after I receive it to give feedback. Any other ideas would be appreciated (post pictures if possible).

I recommend using the king pin tripod. It serves two purposes for me; no more knots on my darn head and it does a great job stabilizing my rig. Just a think on the topic.

mlpeloquin

I recommend using the king pin tripod. It serves two purposes for me; no more knots on my darn head and it does a great job stabilizing my rig. Just a think on the topic.

I do use a king pin tripod as well, but for a one or two day stay, I don't bother. The welcome sign works tripod or not.

NYSUPstater

I too have joined the "Ouch.....S.O.B. That Hurts Club". Like Murry, cut about 5-6 pieces of hollow pool noddle to length, slice in middle and add or place over the lips on pin box. We switched out to a 5TH Airborne that has lips. Not sure about other boxes. For the kingpin, we put a can coolie over it (the 1/4" kind). They are cheap and last a few years before replacement due to weathering. With the BR slides, have noodles on all 4 corners when needed too. Our BIL whacked his head on side of coach trying to walk under it as well. Put him on his knees and saw the stars. He's a tall critter and being the smart alec that I am, bought him a hard hat and gave to him next time we met up camping.