Closet rod, center support?

southernlady5464

Is there a wood piece behind the ceiling in the closet where additional support can be added? We want to add a center support but need to know if there are some wood pieces capable of holding it in (or about) the center structure above the ceiling.

Right now our our closet is barely usable due to lack of support even after replacing the end grommets from the plastic grommet supplied during building to a metal grommet with three screws. The plastic grommet broke on our first trip out. Been storing clothes in odd cabinets in the living room.

jbeletti

I've always replaced my closet clothes rod with a heavy wall, steel rod and metal support cups.

In the past few years, more structure has been placed inside the center of the shelf above the rod. I'd worked over the rod support to fit my replacement rods.

Here's the one I usually get (Lowes).

This all said, I am unfamiliar with the closet layout of your coach. If your rod bracket is screwed to the ceiling now, I can't say if there's structure above where you want to add an additional bracket. Best bet to know is to call Heartland on Monday at 877-262-8032.

southernlady5464

Jim, it’s currently only supported at each end as the W/D closet takes up about 1/3 of that end. I told my husband what you said...we’ll give them a call on Mon. If there is, then we will scare up a stud finder to help us locate it.

jbeletti

Jim, it’s currently only supported at each end as the W/D closet takes up about 1/3 of that end. I told my husband what you said...we’ll give them a call on Mon. If there is, then we will scare up a stud finder to help us locate it.

I see. My W/D has been in places other than the front closet in the last couple of coaches, so my closet rod spans the entire width of the coach in the front cap. We load as full-timers would (full of clothing for all seasons) - so I've always changed the OEM rod out to something heavy duty :)

Another idea for you is just to run a short (3/4") screw up into the area you want to mount another bracket to see what kind of holding power is there.

WillyBill

I have used a 2 x 4 standing up off of the floor with a "V" cut in the top at the desired height to support the rod. You can move it to where the heaviest items are and it won't pull on walls or ceiling. The weight on it keeps it from moving - requires no nails or screws. All brackets have limits regardless of quality of the rod because of the limits on wall or ceiling strength. I even use this in my S&B where we store the winter coats, etc. you can put an extra piece of wood under the bottom of it to spread the weight if necessary. Good Luck

WB