2017 F350 headlights blinding other drivers

Jwill18

I recently towed my RW with my new 2017 F350. Although my truck only squats less than 3 inches, apparently it's enough to throw the headlights right into oncoming traffic. The truck drives and rides like a dream so I don't want to add airbags. Just curious if others had similar issues and what possible solutions could be.

Thanks.
Jason

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

danemayer

I recently towed my RW with my new 2017 F350. Although my truck only squats less than 3 inches, apparently it's enough to throw the headlights right into oncoming traffic. The truck drives and rides like a dream so I don't want to add airbags. Just curious if others had similar issues and what possible solutions could be.

Thanks.
Jason

So when not towing, you don't blind oncoming drivers. But when towing you do.

Sounds like you'll need to do something so the truck doesn't squat. Might need airbags so you can have headlights aimed correctly for both types of driving.

mlpeloquin

The squat also takes some weight off the front end. To ride and handle as designed, you need to level the truck. Thus air bags.

B

BouseBill

I have not bought a new truck lately so a question?
New trucks don't come with adjustable headlights anymore???

All it might take is a screwdriver and a few minutes of your time before towing😁

Lou_and_Bette

Thanks.
Jason

Jason, I think you can add airbags without changing the OEM suspension...no air in bags equals standard suspension.

Jwill18

I see the consistent response seems to be go with airbags. I've had those before (granted on a different vehicle) and while it would fix the headlight issue, I'm thinking it would negatively affect my ride quality??

Right now, I really like the ride quality when the camper is connected...

farside291

If you are currently sitting on the trucks overload springs air bags would actually improve the ride when loaded

pegmikef

Jason, I think you can add airbags without changing the OEM suspension...no air in bags equals standard suspension.

I have to leave at least five pounds in mine to keep from pinching the bags. I usually run with them at ten pounds and forty when towing.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I see the consistent response seems to be go with airbags. I've had those before (granted on a different vehicle) and while it would fix the headlight issue, I'm thinking it would negatively affect my ride quality??

Ride quality is a personal choice IMO. Some of us would probably disagree with how well your pick up rides. Blinding oncoming traffic is a safety issue. Seems to me you do not have a choice and need to do what it takes to rectify the situation. We have had airbags on our last three pickups and will put them on our next one as well.

Gary521

I guess you won't know until you try. The current situation is not all that great ( blinding headlights ) Almost all folks see improved ride with the bags.

Dean-Pam

I agree with the OP, I had airbags on my last truck and while it did improve the handling when towing, they definitely stiffened the ride to the point DW didn't like the truck. I can only assume the reason for the harsher ride was the need to leave at least 5 lbs in the bags so you didn't damage the bags when you weren't under a load.

For my new truck, I don't have a problem with the truck under load when towing, but if I do, I plan on going with the Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System. I have read many good reviews on them and they don't change the ride when not hooked up to the trailer.

Might be another option than saying the OP has to have air bags. I do agree the headlight blinding on coming drivers is a safety issue and something needs to be done.

fritzwell

Thanks.
Jason

Why not adjust your headlights for towing? Had airlifts on last truck and they were sweet, but pretty harsh ride without 5th wheel.

Jwill18

Ride quality is a personal choice IMO. Some of us would probably disagree with how well your pick up rides. Blinding oncoming traffic is a safety issue. Seems to me you do not have a choice and need to do what it takes to rectify the situation. We have had airbags on our last three pickups and will put them on our next one as well.
I'm not sure if your reply was meant to sound a bit sharp but it did. I was just looking for some insight and less judgement. I've always found the feedback here gracious and productive so I'm assuming that's where you're coming from. I can't speak to other trucks except the three trucks I've towed with over the last 15 years. And the ride quality on my current setup is the best by far. I've had some with and without air bags and from my experience, there is a clear difference in ride quality if your not hitting overload springs (which I'm clearly not). I agree that airbags are certainly am option; just hoping it's not the only option. That is what my original post was asking (and driven by the point that I agree it's a safety issue)...

Thanks.

MagnoliaTom

If you get the AirLift 5000 air bags, they have an internal jounce bumper and do not need any air when not towing. That’s what I have used on my last 3 trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

Hate to burst everyone's bubble about adding air bags to truck to keep rear end from sagging thus raising the front and having headlights blind oncoming vehicles, but that alone may not be the solution. My semi (twin screw) has air ride---4 bags in fact and I get flashed almost every night by others and my lights are on low beam. Lights are non adjustable. This is inherit of truck mfr as I've seen other semis of same brand with same problem. In the case of pick-ups, do believe the headlights are adjustable. Not saying air bags won't help, but sometimes, it maybe just the design of the truck itself. My pick-up w/ 5er will engage the aux springs. Added the lowers Stable Loads and that helped a lot. Rear end still drops about 2" w/ them engaged, but haven't been zapped by oncoming cars--- and that's w/ 3700 lbs of pin weight on truck. If headlights are adjustable, lower them down just a tad.