Diesel Transfer Tank

Jim_G

Looking for some input on the best way to go. Will be installing in Ram 3500 Mega Cab. I would like to carry between 40 to 60 gallons. Have a tonnue cover on bed so would like to keep it underneath it. Any help would be appreciated..

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I have the same truck as you but a 2016 with the flip-bak cover. I have a 55 gallon tank and it fits under the cover, but had to bend down the fuel cap wings as they were just a touch too high.
This same tank has been in 4 Ram trucks, I put a bed rug over my sprayed lining to avoid any damage for resale. Purchased the tank on line and it came out of NY if I remember correctly. No name on the tank, it came with a small tool box screwed on top and removed that as well.
I had gravity feed for first 3 Ram's and now have a small fuel cell that pumps the fuel off a aux switch on my dash. Works great and you can't go wrong by installing it.
Good Luck.

MTPockets

There are many choices and as many satisfied customers. We chose a 50 gal Transfer Flo brand tank and had it installed. The tank was fully DOT certified and fully automatic. Just fill and drive. It fit nicely under my BakFlip tonneau cover.

Wmnmy

I have the RDS 60 gallon auxiliary tank gravity fed and love it . It fits under my cover and is low enough to fill .and it was only 530 bucks on Amazon .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 117

Bob Vaughn

My 37 gallon RDS gives me enough fuel to go 700 miles before I need to fret about finding fuel......mine is gravity fed and once my fuel gauge on the dash gets to 1/2 I am normally unhooked and can be selective about where I buy fuel.....

szewczyk_john

I purchased a used toolbox/tank combo and installed it myself. I added an electronic valve and small pump through the auxiliary switches in my 17 Ram 3500 Dually. It also fits under the tri-fold stock cover. I have been looking for a new cover because with the stock one, you have to undo it from the tail gate and fold it over twice to get to the filler tube on the tank. I have seen a few covers that will open from either the front or rear of the bed. I have found a few but they were awfully expensive so I am still using the stock one. I can hold 38 gallons in the aux tank, the tool box is only 6 inches deep but it holds a lot of stuff, and I love the idea that no one even knows it there while covered.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We too have the “37 gal” RDS tank (holds 34-35), gravity fed. Room to spare under the tonneau cover. When rolling it becomes the primary fuel cell as the gravity feed ball valve is always open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure which ever option you choose that it fits between your fifth-wheel hitch and the forward bed-wall.

For example the B&W Companion for the single-point-attachment (turn-over ball) can not be located in the most forward position.
This is where the post is in the most rear-ward bolt pattern position.

This isn't an issue on my truck as it can handle the pin-weight of the Cyclone even in this positioning of the hitch head in relation to the rear axle.

I decided on the Transfer Flow 50gal low-profile in-bed auxiliary tank as it works perfectly and fits very nicely under the tri-fold RAM factory bed-cover.
With the spray-on bed-liner coating option it comes very close to matching the RAM factory spray-on bed-liner (or any other spray-on bed-liner).

The only issue (which is small) is having to move the OEM tri-fold cover away from the filler-neck during fueling.

Having the extra capacity available while pulling the toy-hauler is more than worth losing the space in the bed.
I also purchased one of the bed-extenders that fits in the receiver for when I need to haul longer items in the now shorter bed.
Tow Tuff steel bed extender is just one example.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have been looking for a new cover because with the stock one, you have to undo it from the tail gate and fold it over twice to get to the filler tube on the tank. I have seen a few covers that will open from either the front or rear of the bed.
I used the factory cover till it fell appart, hated folding all the way to the cab to fill the aux tank.
I now have an Extang Encore. Folds both ways.

Peace
Dave

212Pilot

I have the RDS 45 Gal with Gravity Feed that I got off the shelf from Northern Tool Supply. It fits under the Bed Rail on my Chevy and was simple to install. I am currently looking for a solenoid to remotely open and close the gravity feed valve from inside the cab. I originally installed it in my 2003 GMC and I could leave the value open until the transfer tank was empty. Now its in my 2017 Chevy and I get a check engine light and fuel gage goes to empty if the trucks tank stays full tool long while driving. Now I let the trucks tank get to below half then we take a break and open the gravity feed which will refill the main tank slow enough that it doesn't get full unless we stop for a long break.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I'm still doing my homework but I'm leaning toward the 60gal RDS gravity feed. What (if anything) are you folks using for a filter between the aux tank and main filler?
My buddy at the Ram dealer said one of the first questions on a Cummins engine warranty claim is whether or not an aux fuel tank is in use

Doublegranch

I had the Ram dealer install my tank when I took delivery of 2016 and I did the electrical. The new Ram's have two fuel filters, one at the truck tank and one on the engine. The
Ram dealer stated I did not need a third filter. So I did not add it.
Good luck in your homework.

NWILSON

I had the Ram dealer install my tank when I took delivery of 2016 and I did the electrical. The new Ram's have two fuel filters, one at the truck tank and one on the engine. The
Ram dealer stated I did not need a third filter. So I did not add it.
Good luck in your homework.
It looks like our '12 just has the one filter at the engine. If I use much more than a strainer between the tanks I'll likely need a pump to move the fuel through it. Without a pump I'll likely lose the use of a good part of the fuel in the aux tank because it won't be able to push the fuel through the filter

Doublegranch

The main reason I went with the fuel cell pump was due to the gravity feed, I could not get the last 5 + gallons out of the tank.
With the pump, it will drain all the fuel. THe pump I purchased was only like $30 range.
Good luck.

porthole

Retired
I'm still doing my homework but I'm leaning toward the 60gal RDS gravity feed. What (if anything) are you folks using for a filter between the aux tank and main filler?
My buddy at the Ram dealer said one of the first questions on a Cummins engine warranty claim is whether or not an aux fuel tank is in use

Ask your buddy if he would be willing to give you a copy of that.
Cummins literature does mention auxiliary fuel tanks in the FAQ's when it comes to fuel system contamination, but I have never seen an auxiliary fuel tank listed as a straight out warranty claim denial.
No different then most over the roads trucks having two fuel tanks.

I don't use a filter on my tank. Straight flow into the main tank filler pipe, which is then filtered as normal. If you keep your tank closed-capped properly what difference does it make whether the fuel is pumped into the auxiliary tank or frame mounted tank?

I am currently looking for a solenoid to remotely open and close the gravity feed valve from inside the cab.

When you look fo ra solenoid there are several thing sot look for, 100% duty cycle, viton seals (good for diesel) and GRAVITY feed. Gravity feed solenoids work a little different then the standard version. Some solenoids actually require a bit of 'head pressure' to operate, which you don't have with gravity feeds.

This is the current version of the valve I used.
Search text "Electric Solenoid Valve 12-Volt DC 12VDC Viton Seal Water Air Diesel"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Electr...ater-Air-Diesel-B21V-/300876957423?rmvSB=true

The solenoid does get hot with use, but after 4 years of use still works fine. I did ask the manufacturer about the heat it generates and they told me it is normal and if it goes bad, that is why they offer replacement coils.

It looks like our '12 just has the one filter at the engine. If I use much more than a strainer between the tanks I'll likely need a pump to move the fuel through it. Without a pump I'll likely lose the use of a good part of the fuel in the aux tank because it won't be able to push the fuel through the filter

Neale, unless you can add a filter that is equal to or better in quality as to what is on the truck already - why bother?

I considered when my truck was new adding the Dieselsite filtration kit. Just couldn't get past the price so never bothered.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/46173-Added-an-auxiliary-tank

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1317433-rds-auxiliary-tank-install.html

- - - Updated - - -

I could not get the last 5 + gallons out of the tank.

My tank drains down to the level of the bung welded on the bottom of the tank. Maybe 1/4" of fuel in the tank after use.
That is using a gravity feed capable solenoid.

Granted, the last 10 gallons take longer to drain then the first 10 gallons, but since I use the tank for towing it really doesn't matter.

212Pilot

When you look fo ra solenoid there are several thing sot look for, 100% duty cycle, viton seals (good for diesel) and GRAVITY feed. Gravity feed solenoids work a little different then the standard version. Some solenoids actually require a bit of 'head pressure' to operate, which you don't have with gravity feeds.

This is the current version of the valve I used.
Search text "Electric Solenoid Valve 12-Volt DC 12VDC Viton Seal Water Air Diesel"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Electr...ater-Air-Diesel-B21V-/300876957423?rmvSB=true

The solenoid does get hot with use, but after 4 years of use still works fine. I did ask the manufacturer about the heat it generates and they told me it is normal and if it goes bad, that is why they offer replacement coils.

Thanks that is exactly what I need.

NWILSON

Ask your buddy if he would be willing to give you a copy of that.
Cummins literature does mention auxiliary fuel tanks in the FAQ's when it comes to fuel system contamination, but I have never seen an auxiliary fuel tank listed as a straight out warranty claim denial.
No different then most over the roads trucks having two fuel tanks.

I don't use a filter on my tank. Straight flow into the main tank filler pipe, which is then filtered as normal. If you keep your tank closed-capped properly what difference does it make whether the fuel is pumped into the auxiliary tank or frame mounted tank?
He did not say that the Aux tank was exclusionary! He meant that the use of an aux tank CAN be a source of contaminants causing operational issues. Off the top of my head I would have to think water from condensation in an aux tank would be high on the list.
Not as much in our world but the aux tanks used in farming and construction would tend to attract a lot of solid contaminants as well.