RV Insurance For Hurricanes

BillR48

This is a question for those people who keep their RV’s in Florida during the hurricane season. I spoke with several people in the Tampa RV Park that I stay at as a snowbird, and asked them if their units were covered for hurricanes, seeing that Irma went right over Tampa. I spoke with 4 people, 3 with Progressive Insurance and 1 with State Farm. 2 Progressive and 1 State Farm insured RVers stated their agents indicated they were insured provided they make a valid attempt to move there RV’s out of the path of the hurricane. The 4[SUP]th[/SUP] RVer, a Progressive customer, was told by insurance agent he was covered and did not have to move his unit. None of the people I spoke with have trucks to move their RV’s so I would classify them as being semi-permanent. All 4 of these people live either in Canada or the Midwest, so even if they had a truck to move their RV’s they would have to drive 800 to 1,400 miles to reach their units hoping the path of hurricane did not change and pray they can get diesel fuel to pull RV out of Florida. I did speak with a local Progressive Agent in Tampa and he was familiar with the clause in the policy and verified that the RV owners would have to make a valid attempt to move the RV out of harm’s way. I took it one step farther and contacted the corporate offices for Progressive Insurance in Ohio and spoke with one of their underwriter agents. He placed me on hold and consulted his manager and yes the policy does require RV owners with Progressive Insurance to make a valid attempt to move their units out of the path of an oncoming hurricane. I did ask what was considered a valid attempt but underwriter was not able to give me an answer. Possibly having a transport company move the unit??? The reason I’m asking for input on this is I’m planning to leave my RV down in Florida during the hurricane season and was wondering if anyone on this forum has made a claim to Progressive Insurance for damages caused by Hurricane Irma. Just wondering if you were required to show proof that you made a valid attempt to move unit and what sort of validation was used.

Thanks Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

donr827

I live in South Florida and have always had a plan to move my trailer if a hurricane was coming and the winds were greater then 90 mph. I moved it because I did not want to loose it. I sold Progressive insurance awhile back. The policy now seems to put that sentence in the policy but it is not specific. I would try to talk to one of their claims adjuster who would know the policy inside and out.
Don

MCTalley

Interesting read. I have Progressive on our trailer. We happened to be in Montana and Wyoming when Irma swept through.

The biggest issue we've had trying to insure here in Florida is the physical structures on our RV lot. Most insurance companies point you to your homeowners insurance policy. Problem is that we are full-timers and don't have a home other than our RV. We finally found someone for coverage (after Irma passed through). I mainly want to cover our two physical sheds in case they blow away.

Here's another note for full-timers with stuff stored somewhere - our Progressive RV insurance covers shed contents, but only if the "shed" is not a commercial storage facility. In other words, if you things are stored in a storage facility, they're not covered if that facility burns down, floods or blows away. They're fully covered, though, in our RV lot storage sheds.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Interesting read. I have Progressive on our trailer. We happened to be in Montana and Wyoming when Irma swept through.

The biggest issue we've had trying to insure here in Florida is the physical structures on our RV lot. Most insurance companies point you to your homeowners insurance policy. Problem is that we are full-timers and don't have a home other than our RV. We finally found someone for coverage (after Irma passed through). I mainly want to cover our two physical sheds in case they blow away.

Here's another note for full-timers with stuff stored somewhere - our Progressive RV insurance covers shed contents, but only if the "shed" is not a commercial storage facility. In other words, if you things are stored in a storage facility, they're not covered if that facility burns down, floods or blows away. They're fully covered, though, in our RV lot storage sheds.

Oh! I did not know that about the shed coverage! I'll have to check my policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk