Had a idea.

Flooringit

Well I’m trying to live full time in my cyclone 4000 for a little while. Currently looking for land to build on. Well it’s cold here and around 20 last night and everyone knows these things don’t get warm. At least mine don’t. Gonna our carpet and pad down in the living area. I thought about putting a heated mattress pad under it. Has any one done that. Figured it would work like radiant heat.

Last edited by a moderator:

porthole

Retired
Never tried it but it brings up a Road Warrior memory, we saw at the Hershey RV Show several years ago a Road warrior with radiant floor heating (factory). Never heard anymore about it since then.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I would recommend using a product designed specifically for use under carpet rather than a mattress heating pad.

In addition to physical damage and stress to the heating pad from walking on the pad, the carpet may also trap too much heat and become a fire hazard. You could also damage the vinyl flooring below it from the heat also, so you may want to be prepared to replace the vinyl floor too.

You could install a product like reflectix under your rig but above the coroplast and reduce the radiant heat loss overall.
https://www.reflectixinc.com/
https://www.reflectixinc.com/products/double-reflective-insulation/

The bubble and foil type can be ordered in relatively wide widths.
Dropping a section of coroplast at a time just enough to allow you to slip it in would be relatively easy but could take a few hours.

This would also provide added insulation to the underbelly to help protect the tanks too.

jbeletti

Never tried it but it brings up a Road Warrior memory, we saw at the Hershey RV Show several years ago a Road warrior with radiant floor heating (factory). Never heard anymore about it since then.

Duane - that was "Carbonic" heating. It's still a thing out there but unsure if anyone in the RV industry is using it. We did trial it in a toyhauler but it seems it never made the cut as I haven't heard anything about it since I saw it at the same show you did.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Since we've been having furnace issues, I've been using space heaters and fireplace and above 35 degrees, I can manage to keep our rig warm with just those.

The key is Vornado heaters. We have one on the kitchen island and one in the bedroom. They truly circulate the heat and distribute it better. Also the ceiling fan on blowing upwards, on the middle setting, helps distribute the heat that's rising to the ceiling from the fireplace.

My understanding is that skirting a rig really helps as well, though we have not tried to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flooringit

I️ do flooring for a living and have put p warmly yours radiant heat in several homes. I can tell you I have no way of understanding how you could put it in a rv and the slides still go over it. It would add 1/4 to the floor before putting any flooring on top of it.

Also I can not see how a heated bed over could start a fire in the pad when it’s desingned for us to sleep on. I’d figure your be burnt also then.

If I️ have to stay in the rv next winter I will put radiant heat in on the belly. It’s not hard and will just need a high effiecncy water heater to work

wdk450

On this whole subject of keeping warm in your 5th wheel in the winter, I am going to start with the topic of electric space heaters. They use the electric service included in your space rent instead of propane you pay separately for, so they are an economic bargain. BUT any heat source is a fire danger. I use my space heater on my carpeting, but there is a specific warning about that in it's instructions. So, I place an Air Bake cookie sheet in front of it where the IR heat hits the carpet. The carpet does not get hot to the touch. ANY OUTLET USED FOR AN ELECTRIC SPACE HEATER SHOULD BE UPGRADED FROM THE INSTALLED RV ELECTRICAL INSULATION DISPLACEMENT TYPE OUTLET TO A MUCH BETTER ELECTRICAL CONNECTION HOME-STYLE SCREW TERMINAL OUTLET. In my opinion, the small area electrical contact surfaces in the RV style outlets is not up to the long term high current job of electrical heater draws. Also pay attention to cloths, papers, and such flammable items that might get into close proximity to the space heaters.

I guess that it is just common sense for you to wear warm leisure clothing like sweats and warm bathrobes. Don't forget your feet with warm slippers, as cold feet make for a cold feeling body. I have even worn gloves on occasion in the RV.

Flooringit

My electric isn’t free. I’m on some land my fakiky
owns. There is a shop and septic and electric so I️ am plugged in. There is a 6yo living with me so he has to stay warm.

As as far as plugs. i am gonna change them. I blow the breakers all the time. If the tv and heater is on same circuit it pops the breaker

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My electric isn’t free. I’m on some land my fakiky
owns. There is a shop and septic and electric so I️ am plugged in. There is a 6yo living with me so he has to stay warm.

As as far as plugs. i am gonna change them. I blow the breakers all the time. If the tv and heater is on same circuit it pops the breaker

Just changing the plug (outlet) will not prevent the breaker from tripping if you’re drawing too much current. Most of the outlets are on a 15 amp breaker. Space heaters draw almost that, especially at start. The TV could be 5 amps. Check the nomenclature plates on the devices you plug into the same circuit to be sure you’re under the rating for the breaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk