New Furballs

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, we adopted two male kittens named Merlin and Mickey from the county shelter last week (actually did the paperwork on Nov. 22). They were listed as strays, with no real idea of who or where. We had to wait until the 27th to take them home since they needed to be neutered. A couple of days later, we took them to our vet for a check-up. That's when a bit of sadness returned. Seems Merlin tested positive for feline leukemia (the shelter doesn't test for it), and the other one, Mickey, is negative. Both kittens had been caged together for at least 3 weeks, so the vet is sure that Mickey is OK, so we got him vaccinated immediately. Our 14 yo cat had her shots some time ago, so we brought her in for a booster. The vaccine should protect the two, but the one little guy will have to live with it, for however long he gets. Could outgrow it, or it could do him in, only time will tell. The options were euthanasia, give him up to a caregiver that deals with such cats, or keep him. We're keeping him. For now, he's a spunky ball of fur and really bonded quickly to us (so did Mickey). Old Ally is slowing letting them get closer before she growls at them.

First photo is Merlin and the vet puts him at 6 months of age. Mickey is about 4 months. Merlin looks like a miniature version of our cat, Max, that we had to put to sleep last July.

Attachments

• Merlin 2017.JPG
    Merlin 2017.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Mickey 2017.JPG
    Mickey 2017.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 46

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Awww! Such sweet looking boys! Congrats, you are good parents. They will love you as long as they are with you, and you with them, no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks, Erika. Unfortunately, the vet tried to call me last night on my cell but it was buried under my turnout gear at a fire. Gotta call him later today to discuss it. Some quick research does indicate possible treatments, so we’ll explore that with him. Never give up, never give in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

It's nice they deemed you good enough to be their "staff". Dogs have owners, cats have staff!

Enjoy....

gregw

Keep your head up! Mom and Dad's cat tested positive. That was 3.5 years ago. Just had a check up and is going strong. When they were trying to name him I happened to Nick name him "DC" for darn cat it stuck. He's rotten!