Trying to price out a 3400RL

Dougstdig

Hello all,

I'm about to pull my hair out. I've been told to take the MSRP and subtract 25 to 35% off that price. OK great...Right now I'm at 31.67% off not including the addition of a 2nd AC...so I thought.

Not including the price of extra options:
The dealer inflated the Base price $****...or +/- 12.8%
The dealer is charging me $**** for the King of the Mountain Package, which is a N / C item...meaning it is included in the base price.

On Vehicles I'll tear you up. But on 5th wheels I'm an idiot. OK...so the dealer inflated the base price and if I didn't have a problem with $****0 (dealer has to pay the light bill, employee's overhead etc.) am I to aim at 30% or so off this price??? ...or is the +/- 30% cushion for uh...taking one for the team...(keeping it clean)

What are the typical charges for Freight / Prep on a BH?

I want to be fair, but if I feel that I've been taken advantage of I will never be happy with the purchase. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forrest Fetherolf

Dougstdig

You said..............

"I want to be fair, but if I feel that I've been taken advantage of I will never be happy with the purchase. Any suggestions would be helpful".

The RV is only worth what you are willing to pay, pick the price that will make you happy and see what happens. Remember, the dealer is just as anxious to sell as you are to buy.

Forrest

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
My suggestion,
I decided on what I wanted for my trailer including options. I then approached many online dealers (rvsforless,pricebusters,great lakes etc...) with my wish list. They all gave me very nice prices. I also asked my local dealer to price the same trailer. I also told him that I was going to price mant internet dealerships. When all was said and done, my local dealer was the best price. I was very happy. I would have actually been willing to pay a little more to stay local but as it happens I didn't have to. I was very fortunate.

Good luck,
Mark

mike3fan

Yeah with a quote only an e-mail away from a number of online sources you can make a rather informed buy now days.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hello all,

I'm about to pull my hair out. I've been told to take the MSRP and subtract 25 to 35% off that price. OK great...Right now I'm at 31.67% off not including the addition of a 2nd AC...so I thought.

Not including the price of extra options:
The dealer inflated the Base price $xxxxxx...or +/- 12.8%
The dealer is charging me $xxxxxx for the King of the Mountain Package, which is a N / C item...meaning it is included in the base price.

On Vehicles I'll tear you up. But on 5th wheels I'm an idiot. OK...so the dealer inflated the base price and if I didn't have a problem with $xxxxxx (dealer has to pay the light bill, employee's overhead etc.) am I to aim at 30% or so off this price??? ...or is the +/- 30% cushion for uh...taking one for the team...(keeping it clean)

What are the typical charges for Freight / Prep on a BH?

I want to be fair, but if I feel that I've been taken advantage of I will never be happy with the purchase. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Doug,
I need to let you know that we are not supposed to openly talk about pricing of Heartland vehicles here on the forum. You can however PM or email current members in regards to pricing. It is one of the forum rules and I am sure an administrator will edit your current post soon to remove any specific price comments.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

sJv

I"m not a fan of Heartland's use of these "Value packages". It seems like a way for dealers to inflate the MSRP, hoping that the consumer is too stupid to realize that these packages should be free. I wish Heartland didn't stoop to this tactic. Maybe there is a good reason to do this that I'm not aware of.

Definitely get quotes from the numerous online dealers, and get the local dealer to match. My local dealer would only come within $6K (the online quote even included the $3K shipping cost to get it to my door), so I went with an online dealer. The local dealer is no longer in business.

-steve

linuxkidd

Dougstdig: There's no need for this thread to get removed. It has some good advice. And it's all pretty accurate.

Bottom line, with any purchase in life that the price isn't 100% controlled by the manufacturer (probably anything but Apple products), all things are negotiable. You will be best served by getting prices from many places, and not buying unless they fall within your pre-determined spending limit.

sJv: Please know that Heartland does not set the price that the dealers charge for RV's. Heartland charges each dealer the same exact price for the same exact options day in, day out. (Unless of course something happens in the supply price. Then of course, that change is passed on.) Just like when buying any vehicle, dealers are the ones that will end up mess'n you up with tricky ways of hiding add-ons, and inflation of value (perceived or real).

The best advice that I can give to anyone is simply to shop around. There are lots of reputable dealers. There are lots of not so reputable dealers. If you talk to enough dealers, the category each falls into will be pretty obvious.

Don't be afraid to get prices online, but don't take delivery without inspecting the coach.

Hope this helps,
LK

sJv

sJv: Please know that Heartland does not set the price that the dealers charge for RV's. Heartland charges each dealer the same exact price for the same exact options day in, day out. (Unless of course something happens in the supply price. Then of course, that change is passed on.) Just like when buying any vehicle, dealers are the ones that will end up mess'n you up with tricky ways of hiding add-ons, and inflation of value (perceived or real).

Heartland certainly DOES have an MSRP that dealers use. If you look at the MSRP sheet, there will be some "value" package on it. At the bottom, you'll see a credit for this package. This only serves to inflate the MSRP for less scrupulous dealers. I understand dealers inflate pricing all the time, but Heartland is helping them do this!

-steve

Shadowchek

The problem is that you have to have some of these things to attract dealers or there wouldn't be any or many Heartland dealers including service centers. Heartland has to compete with the sob's it may not be the best way to do it but it is just marketing. As long as you know that you are in controll. It doesn't matter how it is packaged after you do your homework you know what a fair bottom line deal is. The auto industry does this also. It isn't a big deal if a dealer over inflates his price and won't come down to a fair price you just don't pay it. Go to a dealer that will negotiate fairly. The only way you get bit is to not do youre homework.

Greg