Tow vehicle options for Cyclone 4200

dananddiane

Hi

Really would appreciate a little direction. So much info out there I am having a hard time making sense of it.

Just bought a 2015 Cyclone 4200 triaxel toy hauler. Empty is 15000 lbs. Going to fulltime live in it so I might be closer to 18000 going down the road.

Pretty much have ruled out new new.
I think a dually is a no brainer, just so it isn't pushing you down the road.

Should I be considering a F450?

Thanks, Dan and Diane

danemayer

Re: Cyclone 4200 tow options?

You might want to visit Fifth Wheel Street to work with actual numbers. You'll want to have a truck that has both the 5th wheel towing capacity, and the payload capacity. For planning purposes, you should plan on the pin weight running around 20% of GVWR. So 18,000 x .20 = 3,600 lbs pin weight. Add to that the weight of everything else in the truck, including hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, pets, passengers, etc. That total should not exceed the payload spec on the exact truck you're looking to buy.

It'll probably be a late model dually.

jmarnell

We have a 2017 F350 pulling a Cyclone 4005, and it does great. Plenty of capacity for that 5th wheel.

LBR

The 2017 price difference between 350 and 450 was only $3400 for us. Went with the 450 for the massive brakes, wide track front, and my RC Cola attitude.

Razorbackfan

USN Chief

The 2017 price difference between 350 and 450 was only $3400 for us. Went with the 450 for the massive brakes, wide track front, and my RC Cola attitude.

That is why you want the 450/550 or 4500/5500 trucks. Maneuvering is awesome with them. They will turn as sharp as my 3/4 ton short bed.
Definitely test drive one if you haven’t before and do a full lock turn. Then jump in a one ton long bed dually and try it.
That and you get quite a bit more payload but be prepared for a rougher ride as my F550 unloaded would beat me to death. I don’t know maybe the new F450 rides more like the F350 as mine was a 2006.

LBR

That is why you want the 450/550 or 4500/5500 trucks. Maneuvering is awesome with them. They will turn as sharp as my 3/4 ton short bed.
Definitely test drive one if you haven’t before and do a full lock turn. Then jump in a one ton long bed dually and try it.
That and you get quite a bit more payload but be prepared for a rougher ride as my F550 unloaded would beat me to death. I don’t know maybe the new F450 rides more like the F350 as mine was a 2006.
Still have my 2003 F-550 with bagged rear suspension and our 2017 F-450. I definitely have spotted the differences...lol!

Just hooked the new truck up first time last night and couldn't believe how much the rear dropped down...went onto the overload springs (as it should)...am so use to the 550 that never dropped more that 2" with 2 tons of weight in it....oh well.

Oldelevatorman

Cyclone 4200 tow options?

I Have a '15 F350, my LM365 is at 18k. Truck has 5650 scaled payload and my pin weight is 3920. I wouldn't get anything with less than 4500# payload minimum, you need it! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

212Pilot

When estimating how much your 4200 will weigh, plan on the Max 20000lbs. We full time in our Cyclone 3800 and every few months We go through and pull out things we think we don't need or what we haven't used. Keeping it under the MGVW is not easy. The last time I weighed it we were at 19,300. We towed for the first 8 months with a 2003 GMC 2500HD and with air bags and a great brake controller, it did ok but it took its toll on the truck. This past March we upgraded to a 2017 Chevy 3500HD Dually and it made a huge difference and gave us a greater peace of mind. We tested each of the equivalent brands and went with the Chevy because of the ride quality when not loaded. Each brand has its strengths and weaknesses but all are very capable of meeting the towing requirements for your rig. Pick the one that has the features and price that are important to you. check out YouTube channel Big Truck Big RV https://www.youtube.com/user/CorpusChristiGuy. He does lots of reviews and talks about towing capacity.

dananddiane

Thanks everyone for the info and tips!

I will look into the 550 option. I have been researching and am leaning towards the f350 6.7.

drive safe, Capt Dan

BLR

Thanks everyone for the info and tips!

I will look into the 550 option. I have been researching and am leaning towards the f350 6.7.

drive safe, Capt Dan
Look at all the numbers very closely.. we had a F550 2003, so when we got ready to upgrade we wanted to stay with a 550..
We learned more than we ever wanted to know about a Ford F-550 (2017) a chassis cab only while a F450 you can order it as a chassis cab or as a pickup.. HP/ Torque(330/785) is less as a chassis cab
The F450- F350 pickup is 440hp/925 torque.
We ended up getting a 2017 F450 with a pickup bed to pull our 4018 Cyclone
58ec898076d892f9b1f0ff3cebdbc05f.jpg

Sent from BLR Logistics

drivet

I have a 2016 Dodge 2500 mega cab with the 6.7 Cummins. I added air bags to the suspension and I love it. You can adjust the pressure in the airbags with a remote from inside or outside the cab and the truck sits level. Hope this helps and happy hauling! Its nice to not have to deal with a 3500 or 4500 when not towing.

dananddiane

Well still nothing purchased yet I have until May when we pull the beast south. First thanks everyone for the tips! Problem up here in Canada is the good used ones are grabbed quickly to go to the auctions etc south of the border. Trying to stay away from the new market but may not have a choice. urgh... Happy Landings

Dan in Can

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Well still nothing purchased yet I have until May when we pull the beast south. First thanks everyone for the tips! Problem up here in Canada is the good used ones are grabbed quickly to go to the auctions etc south of the border. Trying to stay away from the new market but may not have a choice. urgh... Happy Landings

Dan in Can

In my travels over the last 2 weeks, I found a few left over 2017s sitting on the lots. 1 or 2 Rams and several Fords. All 4x4 DRWs. Though they are new, I’m sure there are some deep discounts on them. Maybe that is a option for you.