Water pump constantly leaks landmark newport

Jgermany

I have taken my basement apart a dozen times fixing leaks. Apparently the plumbing division at heartland doesn't take pride in their work and it definitely shows in my camper. Nothing is ran uniform. Pex is either to long or to short. Compression fittings are always leaking. I bought 2 sections of pex, red and blue. Also a crimping tool and bands. I also picked up several 90°'s and couplings. After a few trips to various rv part stores I now have several 90° compression fittings. I replaced maybe 70% of my basement pex plus fittings. The pump always leaked mainly due to the pex inlet supply fitting not seating correctly. I finally got the pex and fitting to it replaced but for a added leak prevention I pulled the pump and placed it inside a 9x13 metal nonstick baking pan. Sealed the screws going through the pan and drilled a hole in the side of the pan for a threaded 3/4" pvc coupling. Jb weld waterweld around the coupling to the pan for a waterproof seal. Drilled a hole in the bottom rear wall of my utility panel and glued in a short section of 3/4" pvc pipe. Now if my pump or inlet/outlet pex ever leaks it will be contained in the pan and drain to the utility wet box. I dump and flush my tanks fairly often so if its leaking I will see it. If you do decide to repair factory pex please keep in mind I have never re-used plastic 90° or couplings without having to double band them. A single band on a plastic used fitting will always leak.

Oldelevatorman

I put a clear plastic window in the wall next to the pump so I can check for leaks periodically. Only thing I've done to my Newport is replace the Anderson valve. Sorry you had so much trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jgermany

Now thats a good idea. I never thought of putting a window in it. I made the mistake of turning the anderson valve while hooked to city water and it leaked through the fresh water tank. It took about 3 months to stop dripping out the tank drain. I guess its ok, I havent closed the valve to see if it will start filling by itself.

danemayer

Now thats a good idea. I never thought of putting a window in it. I made the mistake of turning the anderson valve while hooked to city water and it leaked through the fresh water tank. It took about 3 months to stop dripping out the tank drain. I guess its ok, I havent closed the valve to see if it will start filling by itself.
You should take a look at our owner-written Fresh Tank Fills by Itself guide.

Gary521

Do you have PEX connected directly to the water pump? If so, this should be changed to where there is flexible, reinforced line connected directly. This will keep the pump vibrations away from the rest of the water lines and fittings.

Oldelevatorman

It's probably not ok, you probably blew out an 'o' ring or two in the Anderson valve. They're easy to replace. I always turn off the water prior to switching the valve to a different setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

The window is a good idea. I actually just leave the one half of the basement wall out. That way I can see everything going on behind the wall whenever I need to. That wall is just for decoration, its not structural. I too re did most of my plumbing runs, in the basement a couple of summers ago. Cleaned things up and eliminated some runs that weren't needed. It empowered me to no longer fear leaks.

southernlady5464

Along with the crimping tool, you should have gotten a piece so you can check the integrity of the new fitting.

As to how how I know this...hubby and I replaced 98% of the old galvanized piping in a 1910 house with pex. What we couldn’t replace was retired in place.

John T Bettencourt

Re: Water pump constantly leaks landmark newport I feel for you and I would be very angry after spending that kind

I feel for you after spending that kind of money for Landmark it just seem people do not are any pride in their work anymore. It's not like you bough a cheap trailer so sad
I have taken my basement apart a dozen times fixing leaks. Apparently the plumbing division at heartland doesn't take pride in their work and it definitely shows in my camper. Nothing is ran uniform. Pex is either to long or to short. Compression fittings are always leaking. I bought 2 sections of pex, red and blue. Also a crimping tool and bands. I also picked up several 90°'s and couplings. After a few trips to various rv part stores I now have several 90° compression fittings. I replaced maybe 70% of my basement pex plus fittings. The pump always leaked mainly due to the pex inlet supply fitting not seating correctly. I finally got the pex and fitting to it replaced but for a added leak prevention I pulled the pump and placed it inside a 9x13 metal nonstick baking pan. Sealed the screws going through the pan and drilled a hole in the side of the pan for a threaded 3/4" pvc coupling. Jb weld waterweld around the coupling to the pan for a waterproof seal. Drilled a hole in the bottom rear wall of my utility panel and glued in a short section of 3/4" pvc pipe. Now if my pump or inlet/outlet pex ever leaks it will be contained in the pan and drain to the utility wet box. I dump and flush my tanks fairly often so if its leaking I will see it. If you do decide to repair factory pex please keep in mind I have never re-used plastic 90° or couplings without having to double band them. A single band on a plastic used fitting will always leak.