Good grief, is this a good idea?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Camping World To Offer RV Home Delivery in Jan.

December 11, 2017 by Rick Kessler

In a sponsored posting on Facebook today (Dec. 11), Camping World Holdings Inc. announced a new “Home RV Delivery Service” that “lets you shop at home for an RV and have it delivered right to your driveway.” According to Camping World, the service starts in January and select RV models will be available for home delivery. Designed for those without a dealership nearby, Camping World states on its website, customers will find their perfect RV online and a knowledgeable driver will bring it straight to them.
Here’s how Camping World Home RV Delivery Service will work: Customers will browse select inventory of home delivery RVs online and become familiar with these RVs with detailed walk-through videos, photographs, floorplans, specs, and more. Consumers can then request more info on the RV that’s right for them, and a sales person will be in contact.
Camping World staff will work with consumers on financing and paperwork. Once details are finalized, customers will select a delivery date to have the RV to their home. Upon delivery, Camping World will provide a comprehensive walk-through and orientation so that the consumer can “hit the road with confidence in their new RV.”

The company also is giving away a 2018 Coleman Lantern 263BH as part of the launch of the new service.

See the video here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=99qfvaeOTgI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

It sounds like you have to sign all the paperwork prior to delivery. I wonder if that includes the acceptance letter saying that everything is ok.

And CW would have to have done a pretty good inspection and taken corrective action on any problems prior to delivery. Otherwise you'd have a trailer sitting at your home waiting for you to return it to the dealer for warranty work.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm also curious how they handle getting your tow vehicle properly equipped to tow whatever you're buying.

klp605

By no means do I agree with this scary thought, however, my suspicion is this is a business move at trying to keep an edge in the market with other large on line retailers offering similar services.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oldelevatorman

If something is wrong do they take it back, fix it and bring it back again? Do you pay a delivery fee? It's probably buried in the paperwork I'm sure! Sounds like a risky deal to me!

CoveredWagon

If something is wrong do they take it back, fix it and bring it back again? Do you pay a delivery fee? It's probably buried in the paperwork I'm sure! Sounds like a risky deal to me!

you bet you pay a delivery fee. That’s even figured into the price you pay at a dealer. Ever wonder why people drive it IN or southwest MI to purchase an Rv. Our same Rv would have cost over $4K more in FL at CW than it did at Lakeshorein MI.

danemayer

Upon delivery, Camping World will provide a comprehensive walk-through and orientation so that the consumer can “hit the road with confidence in their new RV.”

So the transport driver will have expertise to provide a comprehensive walk-through and orientation. Hmm.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I also saw that and thought - WOW talk about taking a risk - CW sure is. All the problems are going to be amplified as well as CW given a golden opportunity to NOT do a PDI at all, not that they do one now.

kowAlski631

WOW!! After finding the non-repaired items that they swore were repaired, there's no way that I'd fall into this trap.

avvidclif

So the transport driver will have expertise to provide a comprehensive walk-through and orientation. Hmm.

Plus be able to hook up and demonstrate all of the systems are working. Water, AC, Heat, etc. MY BS detector is flying off the wall.

Oregon_Camper

I'd have to wonder if Camping World would EVER even have the trailer on their lot. Think about it...if they did this right, they could order from factory and have it delivered straight to the customer. Talk about huge margins and ZERO overhead.

No chance would I ever do this....Nope...Nadda.

navyAZ1

The comment of "knowledgeable driver" will deliver it raises a big question? Since I have found it very hard to find anyone who works for Camping World being KNOWLEDGEABLE about anything?

The comment of "knowledgeable driver" will deliver it raises a big question? Since I have found it very hard to find anyone who works for Camping World being KNOWLEDGEABLE about anything?

I certainly wouldn’t go there as it was confirmed for me that Camping World doesn’t got thru these rvs prior to selling them to the public. That’s the manufacturer’s job according to CW. After our experience, it’s just like the politicians, both pointing at each other & neither knowing what’s really going on. All I know is, I hope no one else has to go through what we are with our Mallard. It’s going to be very difficult for me to trust that this has been fixed right, etc.

Carol
2018 m28 Mallard
2014 GMC Sierra 1500

chiefneon

Howdy!

We ordered our Cyclone 4000 from Camping World and it took four and a half months to get. After that it went back to CW three times to repair the Shower/tub that they never could fix. That cost me a trip to Elkhart, IN to the factory for repairs. We thought being fulltimers would be a good idea to purchase from CW seeing they are location all over. I would never buy another RV from CW especially under those circumstances.

”Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

frac999

Howdy!

We ordered our Cyclone 4000 from Camping World and it took four and a half months to get. After that it went back to CW three times to repair the Shower/tub that they never could fix. That cost me a trip to Elkhart, IN to the factory for repairs. We thought being fulltimers would be a good idea to purchase from CW seeing they are location all over. I would never buy another RV from CW especially under those circumstances.

”Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

I have had a bad experience with CW as well in Texas and will not be using them anymore, in fact i had such bad luck with the trailer i bought from them i used it 2 times and got rid of it.

avvidclif

I certainly wouldn’t go there as it was confirmed for me that Camping World doesn’t got thru these rvs prior to selling them to the public. That’s the manufacturer’s job according to CW. After our experience, it’s just like the politicians, both pointing at each other & neither knowing what’s really going on. All I know is, I hope no one else has to go through what we are with our Mallard. It’s going to be very difficult for me to trust that this has been fixed right, etc.

Carol
2018 m28 Mallard
2014 GMC Sierra 1500

I think the correct statement is BOTH know exactly what is going on and hope the mistakes are not caught.