Truck/Scooter Question

I am looking at a Honda Metropolitan for my upcoming conversion to full time camping. My question is can I transport the scooter with a long bed truck with the scooter secured in the front of the bed? I am looking to this with either a RAM or GMC 3500.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I did a Google search of a 2017 Metropolitan. The wheelbase of the scooter measures 46.5" long which doesn't give much "wiggle room" for the bike. Where would you mount attaching points in the bed? Plus it weighs 179 lbs. without fluids, so how do you plan to load and unload it? If you went with the Anderson hitch, which is lightweight and easily removable, you would probably be able to maneuver the bike in using ramps.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I did a Google search of a 2017 Metropolitan. The wheelbase of the scooter measures 46.5" long which doesn't give much "wiggle room" for the bike. Where would you mount attaching points in the bed? Plus it weighs 179 lbs. without fluids, so how do you plan to load and unload it? If you went with the Anderson hitch, which is lightweight and easily removable, you would probably be able to maneuver the bike in using ramps.

Jay he has a North Trail, not a fiver.
Check out rvtowcheck.com to learn about safe towing practices and real world calculations.

This will help you see if the truck can safely handle the added weight, plus your trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram22

I still have a new Curt hitch I intended to attach to the back of my North Trail to carry my KTM dirt bike but abandoned the idea after scrutinizing the trailer frame. Local RV shop suppose to be selling it for me in Folsom. Seems like you've got enough truck to carry in the bed. My tow vehicle is Ram 1500 EcoDiesel so I can't really carry anything more than my generator, although I do sometimes. That url for rvtowcheck.com is an App, not a website.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I still have a new Curt hitch I intended to attach to the back of my North Trail to carry my KTM dirt bike but abandoned the idea after scrutinizing the trailer frame. Local RV shop suppose to be selling it for me in Folsom. Seems like you've got enough truck to carry in the bed. My tow vehicle is Ram 1500 EcoDiesel so I can't really carry anything more than my generator, although I do sometimes. That url for rvtowcheck.com is an App, not a website.

Yes an app well worth the money spent.

Check out www.fifthwheelst.com Dave Gray is a fellow Heartlander that developed the app.

Lots of great info there, as well. But the app is a terrific calculator for anyone trying to figure out the confusing math of towing.

Btw: I get nothing for promoting this.