Mallard m28 did i get a lemon too???

Hi all, haven’t been on for awhile, but I’m unhappy that some other Mallard owners are having issues as we are. We bought ours September 2017 from Camping World in Lake City, Fl. Had a trip scheduled but cancelled, so she’s been in the yard since we bought her. 3am Thanksgiving morning family arrived & they were to stay in the rv as I had to fly to California that same morning. I already had the slides out & everything was ready. I was going over the hot water heater with them when it started to rain, & then it started to pour water in the rv, from the dinette/couch slide which has no slide topper. I can’t begin to say how furious I was. It rained for 2 days, & even with family changing out towels & running fans, there’s still substantial water damage, to say the least. When I came back to Florida, I towed my rv back to camping world.

1st, my personal feeling is that I goofed buying an rv without slidetoppers. & to think I traded in my perfectly good Rockwood Ultralite grrrrr. I personally know my service rep at camping world, & he knows I won’t tolerate any foolishness with this situation. They have submitted for the warranty work to Heartland, but quite frankly I hope they total it. At this point I’d rather have my money back & go buy what I should’ve to begin with.

A major concern for me with this water damage is my health; I have had rheumatoid arthritis for many years. The only drugs that keep it under control are biologics the keep my immune system suppressed. Heartland will be receiving a letter from my doctor about that. But back to the damage:
Cause: wipers are allowing water to enter into slide fascia and run down into slide @ dinette. dinette booth has water damage, fascia backer os badly swollen. top fascia is swollen and splitting. right vertical fascia is swollen and splitting. tv tower corners are splitting. island base is swollen and splitting.
floor feels lumpy / wavy forward of slide d/s near bed area and the wall panel at this area is also wrinkled at the bottom.
Correction: need pre auth to cut vinyl and pull back to inspect floor for damage.
repair for slide:
per owner conversation with jeff @ heartland, roof requires being crowned, wrap fascia backer with rubber reinstall and roof tape seams fascia backer will need to be planed. 5.0hr.
r&r of top fascia 1.0hr
r&r of front vertical fascia 0.5
r&r of ceiling batten 0.5 hr
repair of island:
island repair requires r&i of complete island from floor. 2.0
r&i of water and electrical (full load panel and vacuum) from island. 2.5
r&r of corner styles and backside styles of island. 2.0
repair of tv tower:
r&i of tv and turn style 1.5.
r&i of stereo 0.5hr
r&i of cabinet doors 0.5
r&i of cabinet face 2.0
r&r of vertical styles 1.0
replacement of carpet on main floor 5.0hr
will require hyper extending of slide to acces outside egde of carpet in order to replace. this is a cable system slide room. will have to r&i all fascia to extend and support the room from outside.
order the following parts:
2 ea 8" x 1/2" x 66" radius top fascia brown
1 ea 6-1/8" x 67" vertical fascia with black inserts
8ft 2" x 3/4" radius style brown
3ft 3" x 3/4" style brown
4 x 8 brown panel for dinette base
18ft 2" x 3/4" brown style
8ft 3" x 3/4 brown style
2ft x 15 ft carpet calico?
16ft 2" x 3/4" radius style brown
8ft 3/4" outside corner moulding
16ft white ceiling batten

Complaint: C/S PRIOR TO WATER LEAK, CUSTOMER NOTICED DELAMINATION OCCURING ON WALLPAPER OF DRIVER'S SIDE SLIDE ROOM, REAR FACING WALL BETWEEN WINDOW AND FACIA.
Cause: the wall panel on the rear wall of the d/s slide has bowed and released from the wall framing. the amount of bowing reflects not being cut correctly to fit the wall section.
Correction: replace the wall panel.
requires:
r&i of valance 0.5
r&i of dinette booth back. 1.5
r&r of wall panel and trim 2.0
need to order 4 x 8 wall panel grey
Complaint: C/S FOUND WATER IN PASSENGER'S SIDE EXTERIOR FRONT COMPARTMENT, FLOOR OF COMPARTMENT HAS NOTICEABLE DAMAGE.
Cause: water teseted compartment door with no leak. suspect the damage is from slide leak.
the cleating is splitting and the floor feels wavy under the vinyl
Correction: request auth to cut and peel back vinyl for inspection of the floor.
order 8ft 3/4 x 3/4 brown cleating

Complaint - C/S TRIM AROUND ISLAND JUST BELOW COUNTER PULLING AWAY. DRIVER'S SIDE OF ISLAND, FRONT AND BACK.
Cause- panel has pulled free from brads
Correction - needs to be resceured and puttied

Complaint - C/S TWO SCREWS BROKEN AT ENTRY DOOR MOLDING, SCREWS BROKE AT FLOOR LEVEL UNDERNEATH MOLDING
Cause - the securing screws for the entry door threshold have sheared the heads and the threshold is bent
Correction - need to order and replace the entry door threshold

Anyway, with no quality control on either end, I too am not a happy camper at all.

Carol & James Robinson
2018 Mallard M28
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
Florida

'Lil Guy'

Doesn't sound like a slide topper would have saved your rig. Are the seals bad or are they just not flipping when you open it up? Did you go over the rig when you purchased it? Seriously, I feel for you and hope someone will take care of our issues. I would hate to purchase a new rig and have those kind of issues. Certainly someone will step up and correct or make good on your problems. Good luck and keep us posted.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Wow, sorry to hear about you issues. Just a word of advise....contact HL service yourself and explain what happened. Email pix to them and let them make advise your dealer what to do. Never ever take a dealers word for what HL said to do. You need to keep HL in the loop yourself.

Wow, sorry to hear about you issues. Just a word of advise....contact HL service yourself and explain what happened. Email pix to them and let them make advise your dealer what to do. Never ever take a dealers word for what HL said to do. You need to keep HL in the loop yourself.

Thanks Bob & Patty! Yes, I have Heartland in the loop myself already. The 1 good thing is I personally know my local rep here, as he used to work somewhere else, & he knows I won’t tolerate any bs. Camping World will get their chance, but I have a backup plan just in case. I need to call them today anyway. The crazy part was even after I brought the slide in the water continued to pour in.

Carol
2018 m28 Mallard
2014 GMC Sierra 1500

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There’s no telling. I called Heartland today, they don’t have the work order from camping World yet. They were supposed to send it to the Heartland portal after December 7th. So I called camping World, rep is following up on it & will let me know. I’ll call him back on Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s no telling. I called Heartland today, they don’t have the work order from camping World yet. They were supposed to send it to the Heartland portal after December 7th. So I called camping World, rep is following up on it & will let me know. I’ll call him back on Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I got a call from Camping World today, it seems all the repairs have been authorized for Camping World to order the parts, at least 25 hours of work, sigh. Does anyone know how many of the slide flippers I should order from Heartland?

Carol
2018 m28 Mallard
2014 GMC Sierra SLE 1500

Well, we finally have a resolution to our Mallard problem; we stopped at CW in Lake Park, Ga, on the way home & looked at several trailers they had listed on the web. During the course of our visit the Mallard came up, so a lot of discussion as well. The end result of all this is we traded the Mallard for a Jayco, so we will be leaving this forum. I highly recommend the Lake Park CW, everyone was friendly, courteous & respectful. Yes, of course they wanted to make a sale, but they weren’t pushy or anything else. I learned a lot from this experience, & am now much more educated. During the time I was stressing over the Mallard, I also went to work educating myself, & it paid off big time. I hope Heartland takes it to heart to put a better quality control system in place besides all the production going on, because I will never buy a Heartland product again. I realize all rvs have their issues, but my Jayco has passed the water test already & overall I feel like I have gotten a better product for my $$. To those with problems, we wish you the best. We’ll be leaving this forum, I’ve already sent back my owners materials back. We wish you all the best & keep her between the ditches!

James & Carol
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 28RLS
2018 Mallard m28 - traded in
2014 GMC Sierra 1500

'Lil Guy'

As far as the flippers, my rig has 2 on each side and 2 on top of each slide. I lost one and when I replaced it, I used contact cement. They're on for keeps.

Hi,

My husband and I have a 2018 Heartland Mallard M28 we purchased new in July 2017 from CW. On the last camping trip I noticed the carpet was wet in front of the dinette
pn40n4A5j
. We also noticed that there are bumps in the wallpaper in the dinette under the big window. We can not find where the water is coming from on the carpet. We suspect the bumps in the wallpaper are water damage. La Mesa could not get us in till July 30th so we had to get Heartland to ok the service since it will be 1 week after my warranty is up. I am very concerned. You buy a new camper so you don't purchase others peoples issues yet it seems anything you buy now a days there are issues. Has anyone seen this before. They bumps actually feel like pins are sticking thru them. https://www.imageshack.us/i/pn40n4A5j

Thanks Traci Kutsko