How do I upgrade from 30 to 50 amp?

Cea621

I have a 2017 Mallard M33 with 30 amp. Looking to upgrade it to 50 amps and doing the work myself. Is there anyone who knows what parts I would need, about how much it would cost, and how long it will take? Wanting to save money and do this myself if possible. Looking to do this because for some reason there are 50 amp M33s out there and I wasn’t one of them that got the better version I guess. Thanks in advance for any information.

danemayer

Hi Cea621,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You'll need to replace 30 amp items with their 50 amp equivalent:

• shore power cord
  • cord receptacle
  • wiring from the cord receptacle to the circuit breaker panel
  • circuit breaker panel
  • 30 amp main breaker with twin 50 amp main breakers.

If you currently have a combination circuit breaker panel / fuse box, you may also need to get a separate fuse box.

And you may have to modify the openings in the wall where the breaker panel goes.

It's possible to do this yourself, but you need to assess your skill level at working with electrical components. A mistake could put you in danger and could cause severe damage to your trailer.

esscobra

I did it on my previous trailer , if you can change a breaker at your house and understand basic wiring its not to hard - just depends on where your breaker box/panel is and where your input cord is

NH-Duck

I have a 2017 Mallard M33 with 30 amp. Looking to upgrade it to 50 amps and doing the work myself. Is there anyone who knows what parts I would need, about how much it would cost, and how long it will take? Wanting to save money and do this myself if possible. Looking to do this because for some reason there are 50 amp M33s out there and I wasn’t one of them that got the better version I guess. Thanks in advance for any information.

I also have an M33 with the 30 amp and am curious your reason for upgrading to 50 amp. Are you planning on adding a second air conditioner or do you just want the additional capacity. These models really should have come with a 50 amp service and pre-wire for a second AC in the bunkhouse but live and learn I guess...