Loose Wire in Breaker Panel - Fireplace Electric Failure (Beware)

DaveTyler

I hope Dan Mayer will read this and put where he wants! Recently at a campout in Texas with some bad guys, at Sowell Creek, Ed Potts had a fireplace that the plug started smoking during the night. Room filled up with smoke. Finally got the smoke out and the receptacle was burnt. Ed called me this evening and said his son, an electrician, today took off the cover to where the electrical breakers are and found that one of the 110 volt power wires was loose. Ed was calling all of us to tell us. Thought might be a good warning on the forum somewhere. Anyway the moral is to check your Wiring! Thanks to Jim Dykes who found this thread. Merry Christmas to all who read this!! Dave

danemayer

Re: Fireplace Electric Failure (Beware)

Hi Dave,

So am I reading it correctly that the cause was a loose wire inside the circuit breaker panel?

rxbristol

When we had to replace our fireplace, it has an electrical plug that will automatically shut off if it gets too hot.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's not uncommon to find loose connections in the RV world.
It might be a good idea to check connections during regular maiintenance routiines.

Peace
Dave

dykesj11

When we had to replace our fireplace, it has an electrical plug that will automatically shut off if it gets too hot.

Do you know if that plug is available by itself? Our fireplace is working fine but that sounds like a good safety option. Or is it just a plug with built in breaker and reset?

I talked to Dave yesterday but now am wondering why the smoke was coming from the fireplace. I understand loose connections can heat up but don't get why the loose connection at the breaker panel would cause smoke at the fireplace. Anybody?

danemayer

Do you know if that plug is available by itself? Our fireplace is working fine but that sounds like a good safety option. Or is it just a plug with built in breaker and reset?

I talked to Dave yesterday but now am wondering why the smoke was coming from the fireplace. I understand loose connections can heat up but don't get why the loose connection at the breaker panel would cause smoke at the fireplace. Anybody?

Maybe the loose wire was a neutral.

rxbristol

It's a safety device built into the plug that came with the fireplace. It's called a "safer plug".

DaveTyler

Hello Rex and Dan and all, Not sure the fire came from the fireplace but not the receptacle. Thats where the burn was showing. I did see that. After replacing the male plug on the fireplace and the recepacle they all work. After finding loose wire in breaker box. I did check mine today in trailer and all was tight. Just like checking air in tires? Some are low or the valve cores are loose. Ed had called to tell all who was camping with him what he found. I am not sure exactly which wire. The point was to check your wires. I know Rex has upgraded his fireplace, so nothing new. It scared Susan because of having dogs there alone at times makes you not to want to leave the fireplace on. Maybe no different that Dan telling you how to change the circuit breakers to make your slides and level ups work again? I just appreciate the forum and guys that participate so I can learn things and what not to do or what to do. For those reading, Merry Christmas and Mike and Peg bought a new Landmark!! Best to you all!! Love you guys!!

danemayer

It scared Susan because of having dogs there alone at times makes you not to want to leave the fireplace on.

Dave,

We never leave the fireplace running overnight or while we're out of the trailer. While the fireplace may have safety devices, I don't trust them. I do trust the furnace.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
X2, never leave fireplace running overnight or when not at home, and I even turn the heater off when stepping out of the room for a bit. I've had ours overheat while I was out of the room and I caught it before smoke or safety devices kicked in, but it smelled like it was burning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveTyler

Dan, Know what you mean about leaving the fireplace on, however as much money invested in these trailers one would think it would be safe? One day when I see you, in Pueblo, I want to talk to you about your
Cheap Heat. Did you install yourself? I know several that leave the small ceramic heaters on when not there. the question would be, What is Safe? When I mentioned valve stems, in Tyler at rally a guy wasn't sure about
air in tires so I checked for him. When I pushed gauge on valve core, the core went inside the tire but pressure in tire kept it from going all the way in wheel. Took 9/16 nut off of Ed Potts old wheel and fixed guys tire and
aired up all the others that were all off. Again something we learned and when checked several trailers next morning several nuts of the valve cores were loose. So I take this as another lesson. Why I read what you say.
Good night. Later

danemayer

I installed the Cheap Heat myself. On our 2011 LM, I would say that everything that could have made the install harder was the case on our trailer. I've heard from others where it was much, much easier.

I also place relatively high trust in the high-end Pelonis Ceramic Disc Heaters and have run them overnight. Their design is such that the temperature on the hottest surface is below the ignition point of paper. But I think care is still required.

As I understand it, the main safety protection in the fireplace is an overtemp sensor that's supposed to cut power. But when you read about fireplaces spewing heavy smoke, you have to wonder whether that level of protection is sufficient. Maybe it is, but where there's smoke....

Roller4tan

The greystone fireplace in my rig finally gave up the ghost. The fan quit working and the heating element got hot enough to glow and then trip the sensor. I took it apart and the fan ran. Put it all back together, reinstalled and it worked the rest of the day and I shut it off at night. The next day I turned it on and it did the same thing, got hot and tripped the sensor. Took in outside, plugged it in and it worked correctly. I gave up with it, threw it in the trash and ordered a different one from Amazon, perfect fit and much nicer display.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074PK86YJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The greystone fireplace in my rig finally gave up the ghost. The fan quit working and the heating element got hot enough to glow and then trip the sensor. I took it apart and the fan ran. Put it all back together, reinstalled and it worked the rest of the day and I shut it off at night. The next day I turned it on and it did the same thing, got hot and tripped the sensor. Took in outside, plugged it in and it worked correctly. I gave up with it, threw it in the trash and ordered a different one from Amazon, perfect fit and much nicer display.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074PK86YJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice! Can you post a pic of the install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roller4tan

Fireplace.jpg

Fit perfect, removed old mount and installed the on that came with the fireplace. Had to remove a section of the faux brick between the soundbar and the fireplace.

Rockin_Dollar_B

New Mexico Chapter Leaders-retired
I hope Dan Mayer will read this and put where he wants! Recently at a campout in Texas with some bad guys, at Sowell Creek, Ed Potts had a fireplace that the plug started smoking during the night. Room filled up with smoke. Finally got the smoke out and the receptacle was burnt. Ed called me this evening and said his son, an electrician, today took off the cover to where the electrical breakers are and found that one of the 110 volt power wires was loose. Ed was calling all of us to tell us. Thought might be a good warning on the forum somewhere. Anyway the moral is to check your Wiring! Thanks to Jim Dykes who found this thread. Merry Christmas to all who read this!! Dave
Wow, what an incredible save for Ed & Susan! We will be checking our wiring too. Thank God no one was hurt and the damage may be minimal. Merry Christmas our TX friends!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DaveTyler

Not sure where this will go but wanted to report. I am really interested in the Cheap Heat and will look at in Pueblo. However I did check wires where the breakers are, all were OK.
I then ordered a "safer Plug" that cuts off if the plug gets too hot. I then pulled the fireplace out, took plug apart and out. The wire used is 14/2 and with a ground. The safer plug I
purchased needs a double plug and in my BigHorn it is a single. So I took apart and the installed plug in kinda on the cheap side, Wires do not screw on but punched. Not too good with a son in law that's a electrician.
I ended up with a 20amp commercial duplex plug, and had to use the shallow 1 gang box. After this it makes you feel somewhat better. The safer plugged in fine. The fireplace works.
However not sure I would leave on all night even though think that we should be able to. All this is , is a electric heater, 1500 watt max. Dave

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
The fireplace in our Landmark augsta was a plug in type, 8 years no concerns at all.
We now have a Big Horn 3760, the fire place is direct wire ( I think) since I cannot find a plug and I do not see a breaker labeled. I will have to pull the back off the fire place and open the breaker panel to check wires.
I do appreciate all the info. What the heck us cheap heat?