Cradlepoint CTR500/MBR1000 now with load balancing

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
Cradlepoint has released new firmware for their CTR500 and MBR1000 routers that provide their first version of load balancing.

The new feature would allow a user to obtain faster speeds and more reliable connectivity by operating the router with multiple active cellular modems.

For instance, the MBR1000 can operate with:
  • one verizon usb modem (like USB727, USB720, UM150, etc)
  • one sprint usb modem (like 597u, u727 or u680)
  • one alltel expresscard kpc680
and the router will make available to connected users, the total bandwidth of all three active connections.

the CTR500 has one usb port and one expresscard slot, so it can only provide double the throughput if operated with two active devices.

it is important to note that multiple devices from the SAME carrier is LESS likely to provide significant improvement since the devices are likely to be connected to same cell tower.

its also important to note that "load balancing" is not the same as "load aggregation" or "link aggregation".

in other words, you do not end up with one very fast/wide connection. downloading a single large file is no faster with a router load balancing 2 or 3 devices, than it would be if the router only had one active device.

easiest analogy i can come up with is to imagine hauling a double-wide mobile home down the road and wishing that the toll booth were wide enough to allow passage. its not going to happen with one lane, two lanes, or three lanes thru the toll booth, you need one wiiiiide lane.

however, load balancing does provide benefit to those who have many connections because as everyone knows, total traffic through a tollboth is always faster with two or three lanes open, rather than just one.

i hope that made as much sense to y'all as it did to me!

i'm notorious for not always making sense.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I don't know about you making sense...but I do know I couldn't be happier with the USB720 and CTR350 you suggested we get last year! What a great aircard and router set-up!! It's only not gotten out in one place so far (mts. of Kentucky), and then after connecting it to the Wilson Truck antenna and amplifier, via the external antenna connection on the 720, we got connected. Not fast, but still connected and that's what counted.

Thanks Alex....