Demco Recon fifth wheel hitch

meagle

I am considering purchasing a Demco Recon fifth wheel hitch, does anyone have any experience with this hitch? It is a fairly new design.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I bought one from www.etrailer.com in September and am quite satisfied. Lightweight, secure and easily comes apart in three pieces if necessary. The jaws wrap the pin as well as another bar that slides in front, very secure. I had replaced an older 15K Reese slider that was pretty wore. This feels very smooth. I also have the Demco pinbox to go with it which I have had for two fifth wheels. They work on more of a pendulum system rather than sliding like a Moryde. No problems since 2011 with it.

meagle

Thank you for the reply. I am going to order one. I really like what you said about how it comes apart in 3 sections. It should be easy to remove and install with just one person. Again, thank you for answering my questions.

Morris

meagle

I installed my new Demco Recon fifth wheel hitch. You are right it is easy to install and remove with just one person. I hooked up my fifth wheel and the connection was solid and no chucking or unwanted movement was noticed. For those who do not need a slider hitch the Demco Recon is a very nice option and setup.

bwdt

How heavy is this unit? I cant find any info on its weight? or the weight of the individual pieces.

I'm seriously considering this product to mount on my goose neck.

meagle

It is 96 pounds total weight, but it easily come apart in up to 3 sections with the removal of pins that slide out. For myself I will remove the unit in 2 sections. It is very easy and fast. The towing capacity is 21000 pounds and the tongue weight is up to 5200 pounds. It has very nice wrap around jaws and a slide bar behind the jaws. When you get the unit it is easy to see that it is a very good quality product.

bwdt

Thank you very much for the weight.

It's down to this unit or an Anderson.

I wish that the Pullrite super lite was made to mount on a ball, I would be interested in that unit as well.

meagle

As part of my research I spoke to a representative at the Demco manufacturing plant who broke the weight down for me. I purchased it through Etrailer for $483 with free shipping and no tax.