Holding Tank Smell

Irish Ram

HELP!!
I have a 08 2998, which has 2 gray water tanks.
When any amount of water goes into the Kitchen sink a really bad smell comes out, we have to leave the RV for an hour or so. I have cleaned out the tank a couple of times, but the smell keeps coming back. It does not smell if I do not run water into it, nor is there a smell from the back bathroom which is connected to the same gray water tank.
Has anyone got any ideas what the problem is, it is really frustrating. :confused:

SmokeyBare

I'd start by crawling under the sink. Taking a look around to see what might be happening below the cabinet. Look for a Vent that might be under there...

I have a 3400-RL so my kitchen is going to be different than yours.

IF you discover a vent... it may be on the side of the plumbing... screwed to the end of the pipe... ( I've searched for a Link to some one else's Posting of a Picture of a Under sink Vent... with No Luck)

Check that vent... to see if that's where the smell might be coming from. The vent has a rubber flapper that is held in place by a spring... when water flows down... they should suck air "IN" the pipe... allowing the water to flow. The spring should hold the rubber flapper down to prevent it from leaking any air from Inside the plumbing. These are easy to replace... just un-screw... using pipe dope on the new part.

Finally Found the Link:

http:////heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=6873&page=3 Post # 30
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?p=48487#post48487 Post # 31

Just a thought....

Marv

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One thing might make a difference. If you have your sewer hose connected up and leave the gray water valve open all the time you can get odor through your drains.

I never leave any of the valves open all the time. I just empty the tanks each time I move from one location to another. You never stated the position you leave the valves while your camping.

In the Kitchen under the sink you have a pvc pipe coming up and has a spring valve inside it at the top. This is what is used to allow air into your tanks when you drain them. If that valve is not working properly it may cause some problem. You might check it out.
FWIW

Irish Ram

Last weekend, before I arrived at the campground, I added 5 gals of clean water through the Kitchen sink, with a hose, I then added some gray water cleaner and let that slosh around when travelingto the campground.
The smell comes as soon as I add water, I had not even hooked up to the sewer.
Remember, I have a back bathroom that also has a sink which is connected to the same gray water, there is NO smell there.
It sound like it has a valve that is faulty under the kitchen sink.
Is this something that I can repair? or should I leave it in to the dealership?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Is this something that I can repair? or should I leave it in to the dealership?

If you look under your sink over by the exterior wall you should see a pvc conduit runing upward.
Mine is a black conduit and has a fitting screwed ontop of the conduit. It looks like it can be removed.

Also do you use something to screen out things that are left in the sink when you rinse or wash dishes. If not the gargage could be fermenting.
We use a screen in the drains of each side of the kitchen sink that we found at Wal-Mart. Below are a couple of photos that might help you.

Attachments

• DSC_1941M.jpg
    DSC_1941M.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_1940M.jpg
    DSC_1940M.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 21