New Tires for Truck

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Got six new Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires put on my truck yesterday. A 7th one is on order for the spare since they only had the six on hand. What's kind of strange is when you search for tires for my truck online, most of the sites insist it takes a 16" tire. It came with 17' ones. LT225/75R17 LRE. But Discount Tire had the right size at a good price.

Why_Not

Hi John & Darlene,

Did you look at any other tires? I was looking at the ones you bought (also at Discount Tire), but they also have Corsa, for about 1/2 the price. The Corsa has a higher speed rating (S vs. R) but a lower tread life guarantee (40,000 vs. 50,000) and a lower overall rating (Good vs. Best). I'm just not sure how important all that is. I have a 2011 GMC 3500 HD Diesel Dually pulling a Cyclone 4200.

Thanks!
Tony

JohnDar

I looked at a couple of other name brands and the reviews for them. I didn’t want to go with something I’d never heard of. Not to be snarky, but price wasn’t a major factor. I just knew that I didn’t want to go Goodyear again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kf5qby

Hi John & Darlene,

Did you look at any other tires? I was looking at the ones you bought (also at Discount Tire), but they also have Corsa, for about 1/2 the price. The Corsa has a higher speed rating (S vs. R) but a lower tread life guarantee (40,000 vs. 50,000) and a lower overall rating (Good vs. Best). I'm just not sure how important all that is. I have a 2011 GMC 3500 HD Diesel Dually pulling a Cyclone 4200.

Thanks!
Tony

I have used cheap tries before. I can only say, don't do it. A set of supposedly 60k mile tires had to be replaced at 15k because they were all worn out. There were no odd wear patterns or outside factors they just did not last. They were very soft and squirmy especially for a Load Range E tire for a 3500. I will never go back to cheap tires for any of my vehicles.

I have never gotten less than 60k miles out of a set of Michelin's. In the example above I would have needed 4 sets of the cheap tire to cover the same distance one set of Michelin's would have covered. Even if you pay half as much for each set you still wind up paying twice as much to go the same distance. It just does not make sense to me.

CoveredWagon

Hi John & Darlene,

Thanks!
Tony

im not sure I’d worry about speed rating pulling a cyclone.

Keywestwego

Johndar: We bought the same tires from the same company.

I haven't had this smooth a ride for a long time.

I would highly recommend the Michelin's.

BLR

im not sure I’d worry about speed rating pulling a cyclone.
LOL...Before we knew it we were doing 80.. in our new F450 pulling our 4018 Cyclone.. we now set the cruise control..

Sent from BLR Logistics
Speed is speed doesn’t matter up hill, down hill or what vehicle. I personally wouldn’t want to be towing any Rv at 80 mph with any truck.
I'm sorry it went over your head..

You made the comment about pulling a Cyclone and not being able to speed ( which I agree about Speed) that's why I said we set the cruise control now.

Our 17- 450 has more power than our old 03- 550(never set cruise our old truck) and a lot smoother driving & handling that the DH and I were talking and before we knew it we were do about 78..

Sent from BLR Logistics

JohnDar

Johndar: We bought the same tires from the same company.

I haven't had this smooth a ride for a long time.

I would highly recommend the Michelin's.

They’ve been doing real well in the snow around here, too. And I just got my $70 rebate card the other day. Discount Tire was very good to deal with, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk