Residential Fridge and battery power

orion7144

I am not sure how many or what size batteries the 32RS come with but I do not want to pay extra for the propane fridge since we will be mostly hooked up. What I am interested in is keeping the fridge cold while traveling. Will the batteries charge enough while connected to the tow vehicle to power the fridge? My TV has the dual alternator setup. If not what kind of setup would allow that? A typical scenario would be having the 5th wheel plugged in at our house 24 hours prior to leaving for a trip so the fridge would be cold ( all due to stupid HOA rules).

richheck

Seasoned Member
We have a 17 Landmark with the residential fridge, no problems while on the road or stopping for breaks while traveling. Yes, while towing the tow vehicle is charging the coach batteries and when we arrive the batteries are fully charged.

Kathi-27

when we traveled last summer 400 miles 7hrs at a time batterys where still showing full charge each stop.

danemayer

You should be ok as long as you stay each night at a campground where you have electric hookup. If you plan on boondocking or staying at Walmarts or truck stops overnight, the batteries will be drawn down for 16 hours each night and the charge from your TV for 8 hours during the day may not keep up. The 2nd or 3rd day of travel could be a problem.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
You will be fine while your traveling as your truck will charge your trailer batteries while you are traveling and your truck is running. Dry camping is another thing altogether however. For that you will either need a generator to keep your batteries topped off, or solar to do the same.

Rod

dave10a

My truck has a circuit breaker at 25amps for charging the trailer batteries while traveling. That is 300watts of charging power theoretical, however there is some loss in the wiring. What does the residential fridge require?

danemayer

My truck has a circuit breaker at 25amps for charging the trailer batteries while traveling. That is 300watts of charging power theoretical, however there is some loss in the wiring. What does the residential fridge require?

The refrigerator is powered by a 1000 watt inverter that draws from the batteries. At startup, compressor demand may briefly exceed 1000 watts and then it probably draws 6 amps or so, maybe around 720 watts while the compressor runs. If it ran continuously, even if you got 300 watts from the tow vehicle, it would not be enough to keep the batteries charged. But the compressor shouldn't run continuously. So let's say it runs 15 minutes per hour. That would be 180 watts. Add some for the inefficiency of the inverter and for startup surge and we'll call it around 225 watts average. If your truck and trailer wiring gets you 225 watts to the batteries, you should be able to keep up while towing. Start towing with a full battery charge and end up with a full battery charge. But then you've got 16 hours not towing and the refrigerator still needs power. Since it's usually cooler at night, the compressor probably runs less. But it still may need quite a bit of power from from the batteries. And if you're unhooked from the TV, it's not getting help from the TV batteries. That's why you might be ok for a one night stay at Walmart, but probably not two nights.

Btw, this is why it's a bad idea to leave the umbilical connected to the truck overnight. If power goes through the connection with ignition off, you could wake up with dead truck batteries.

Please note that these aren't exact numbers. Refrigerators vary. Battery conditions vary. Trucks vary. Temperature varies. This is just intended to get into the ballpark to illustrate how it all works.

mlpeloquin

Modern refrigerators use very little power. Take a large Samsung 28 cubic foot four door french stile. It states 722 kWh/yr. That is less than 2kW per day. That is just over 83 watts per hour. With about 89% inverter efficiency the 12.5V draw is around 7.324 amps averaged per hour. So you don't have a problem so long as the refrigerator is the only thing on the circuit. Now it will draw more do to this being the average current per hour over 24 hours, but it turns on and off as needed. The actual current draw should be on a sticker on your refrigerator. So your tow truck should have no problem keeping the batteries charged at all. This example is a large refrigerator so yours may be less.

Kathi-27

when we came back this summer and got in late didn't hook up to shore power. the next morning I ck the battery had 1 lite out from full charge. that was about 6 hrs towing and 10-12 hrs that night. hope that helps

Oregon_Camper

when we came back this summer and got in late didn't hook up to shore power. the next morning I ck the battery had 1 lite out from full charge. that was about 6 hrs towing and 10-12 hrs that night. hope that helps

..and you have a residential refrigerator? Wow!

How many batteries do you have?

BLR

One night we came back through the desert (Off-Roading) let's just say.. neither of us were wanting to start the generator (2000 watt suitcase) so we took a chance and our batteries held for about 16 hours..
We have 3 extra optimas.. now we have added some inexpensive solar for those unexpected late nights...haha..

Sent from BLR Logistics

Kathi-27

2 nsb-agm-24f northstar batterys. have had for year and 1/2 with no problems. yes residential frig

Kathi-27

alittle pricey but when bought rv the sales guy said they had one they used on the lot for 30 days before they had to charge it. so figured I would try them sense I needed batterys any way. have not been disappointed. they have been great.

dave10a

Btw, this is why it's a bad idea to leave the umbilical connected to the truck overnight. If power goes through the connection with ignition off, you could wake up with dead truck batteries.

Please note that these aren't exact numbers. Refrigerators vary. Battery conditions vary. Trucks vary. Temperature varies. This is just intended to get into the ballpark to illustrate how it all works.

thanks for the reply. I would to point out that my Ford battery charge power through the umbilical 7 pin trailer connector is only present when the truck ignition is on or when starting the engine. The only power that is available to/from the truck is via the brake and taillights. So I don't see how leaving the truck connected to the trailer with the ignition off would cause the truck battery to drain into the trailer-- unless you leave you headlights or parking lights on. The is also no brake controller power going to the trailer if no one depresses the brake pedal. However older model Ford's may not be relay controlled with the batter charge wire.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
thanks for the reply. I would to point out that my Ford battery charge power through the umbilical 7 pin trailer connector is only present when the truck ignition is on or when starting the engine. The only power that is available to/from the truck is via the brake and taillights. So I don't see how leaving the truck connected to the trailer with the ignition off would cause the truck battery to drain into the trailer-- unless you leave you headlights or parking lights on. The is also no brake controller power going to the trailer if no one depresses the brake pedal. However older model Ford's may not be relay controlled with the batter charge wire.
You are correct in that some vehicles are wired differently. 12V is present at the plug at all times on our 2012 Ram.

We carry a JUMP STARTER in case it's needed to start the generator which could in turn help with starting the truck once the ships batteries have recovered.

dave10a

You are correct in that some vehicles are wired differently. 12V is present at the plug at all times on our 2012 Ram.

We carry a JUMP STARTER in case it's needed to start the generator which could in turn help with starting the truck once the ships batteries have recovered.

Keep in mind that battery life is greatly decreased if the battery charge goes below 50-80% charge. Starter batteries life is significantly decreased while deep cycle batteries can withstand many more discharge cycles. Starter batteries should be recharged at 80% and deep cycle should be recharged at 50% to assure the longest life. Deep discharge of either type is a no-no.