No water coming out of dispenser

srae

First outing in our Big Horn 3160. Have a residential Frigidaire. Turned the water on underneath the sink, but no water dispensing from refrigerator. Not sure where to start looking. Any suggestions?

danemayer

Hi srae,

Make sure the filter is installed in the refrigerator. If you have a new filter in there, and have allowed time for water to fill the filter and the holding coil, then take a look under the slide. There's a drain valve there. If you're not the original owner, it's possible the drain valve has been replaced with a cutoff valve.

srae

Thanks for the feedback Dan. No previous owner so has the drain valve. I'll check the filter, otherwise I'm guessing the line might have a kink in it.

CoveredWagon

I found the line to the ice maker / water dispenser On the back of the fridge behind the outdoor panel (back of fridge) was kinked. If I remember correctly it was the line that came from the blue solenoid valve that was pushed up behind the fridge. I couldnt see where it went so I disconnected it from the valve and pulled it down. Big kink. Made a soft loop in the line, taped it down and all was good.

You might open the drain valve (tricky to find, I found mine cause it was open ) and see if you are getting water there. It goes from there to the valve under the sink, then to the solenoid valve at the back of the fridge. Then like Dan said to the water filter. Since you are first owner tithe water filter may not be completely installed. If it’s a Frigidaire it is a push push deal. Push to install, push to remove.

HOGHAULER

I found the line to the ice maker / water dispenser On the back of the fridge behind the outdoor panel (back of fridge) was kinked. If I remember correctly it was the line that came from the blue solenoid valve that was pushed up behind the fridge. I couldnt see where it went so I disconnected it from the valve and pulled it down. Big kink. Made a soft loop in the line, taped it down and all was good.

You might open the drain valve (tricky to find, I found mine cause it was open ) and see if you are getting water there. It goes from there to the valve under the sink, then to the solenoid valve at the back of the fridge. Then like Dan said to the water filter. Since you are first owner tithe water filter may not be completely installed. If it’s a Frigidaire it is a push push deal. Push to install, push to remove.

Make sure you cut out the kinked part of the line because that will eventually leak down the road causing big water leak damage. Ask Me how I know!

CoveredWagon

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you cut out the kinked part of the line because that will eventually leak down the road causing big water leak damage. Ask Me how I know!

you found one too huh ? Good idea, I didn’t cut it out but taped it down in a soft loop. My reasoning was maybe I might need the extra line if I had to pull the fridge out. Now thinking about that again, all I’d have to do would be to disconnect the line if needed. Duh! Guess I’ll fix it next time I’m out there.

jerryjay11

Don't know if this residential fridge was added post Mfg, but if so then it could be the type of valve used. Unless it was plumbed in with proper plastic fittings I suspect it may be a self-piercing clamp-on saddle valve. Self-tapping use a beveled syringe to pierce a horseshoe shape cut in the tubbing. On copper pipe this works because the cutout is bent into the copper tube, but on any form of plastic (PVC, Quest, Pex) the cutout with eventually return to it's original position, closing off the supply.

Keep this in mind on any home install. First sign is usually hollow ice cubes.

CoveredWagon

If you disconnect the water line at the solenoid at the back of the fridge and don’t have water there try the valve under the sink again.

jerryjay11

If you disconnect the water line at the solenoid at the back of the fridge and don’t have water there try the valve under the sink again.

Exactly what I do to prove a valve problem. I would add to bend/crimp the plastic water supply line rather than close tap valve and open again as that may allow water to flow temporally until the the plastic cut in main line again returns to it's original position. If you get a strong flow (water splashes in a tall glass) then it is fridge valve issue.