2006 Ford diesel

RSIG

I am looking at a 2006 Ford DRW diesel with 40,000 miles. Any comments on reliability and performance would be appreciated. I will be towing a BH 3670.

ccd001

:DJust had a family reunion on 08/31/2008 my wife's cousin is a diesel
mechanic at the local Ford dealer. He has told me to stay away from
the 6.0 powerstroke diesel has it has turbo and oil cooler issues. He says
the new 6.4 diesel is no better. I think the Ford trucks are ok but the
powerstroke has some problems. I would have the truck checked by a
diesel mechanic and check carfax for past issues. I have Chev hd
with the Duramax/allison and have 0 problems. I 've had an 03, 06,
and now 07. I'm sure you will hear some other comments. I'm sure
you will be able to make a wise choice after all the comments.
Clay Douglas
BH 3055
2007 Chev 3500HD
Duramax/Allison

caokgafamily

I own a 2005 6.0 powerstroke with 55k. After 7 different visits to the dealership for overheating problems they finally changed my head gaskets & head bolts. I have not had any problems since. I tow a 07 3400rl, I love the truck, but would have not bought it if I had known all the probs I would have had. Stay away from the 6.0.:mad:

Shadowchek

I know one guy that had lots of injector problems another one had his turbo go out at 20,000 miles. Another friend of mine bought one for 13k off because it was under the lemon law and he hasn't had any issues. When I was looking at trucks if it was going to a ford it had to be 02 or early 03 with the 7.3 those are good motors. The chevy's are good and I just didn't like the chasis of the dodge. I had a 1/2 ton 4wd dodge before my ford and had a lot of issues with the rear end brakes a/c power windows. The newer ones and the heavy duty ones might be better I know the diesel motors are good.

Greg

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Actually it's generally the earlier 6.0 that had some issues (thru the end of 2004 mostly). Check out some of the Ford diesel forums for more info. We bought a used 2005 F-350 DRW and the difference between it and the 2001 250 is night and day for towing. Mainly because of the tow-haul mode on the newer one, but the stability of the DRW is noticible. The 7.3 had enough guts to pull anything, but the transmission is the weakest link. Replaced 2 seals in the 2 years we had it. Friend of ours is a 30 year shop foreman for the city and they're buying all Fords for the HD trucks now because of reliability. He has had a 6.4 since they came out and has had 0 problems and has towed some major miles with it. Actually have another friend with the early 6.0 and he hasn't had any problems either. He's probably just lucky... LOL
When we bought used, we ran a car-fax on it and you can get what they call an OASIS report from the dealer that will tell you if it's had issues or not. I'd check it out throughly, but I wouldn't be afraid of it. If it's a really good deal, buy the extended warranty for a year or so. This is the time to buy if you're in the market. A good selection of used trucks of every make is out there to pick from and some pretty good deals on new ones. Good Luck!

cgunn

Ford Truck

I have a 2005 F-350 6.0 but three weeks after I bought it,during my
first pull the oil cooler went out and caused several problems.
After $3000 I got back on the road and have not had any more
problems. I have pulled my 3055rl over several tall mountains in
Colorado and it went all OK.
I do like my Ford but I would check em out first,real good.

jgailliot

I have a 2007 Ford 6.0 powerstroke 4 wheel drive crew cab with 45000 miles. It has been a great truck with no problems. Just oil changes and tire rotation. The truck has been used to tow a boat, horse trailer, my old TT trailer, and now or new 2900 MK. This is my first Ford, I traded in a 2005 Chev 2500 diesel and as of now, I think I will stay with FORD.

jnbhobe

Don't be afraid of the Ford. Have the dealer run OASIS and do a carfax report. I'm pretty sure the motor has a 5yr- 1000,000mi warrenty.My 03 just turned 80,000 mi today with no problems it was delivered 12/19/02. Our 07 has almost 30,000 mi on it now and we only use it for towing. So just check it over good and start camping! Oh the other thing the Fords are about 1500lbs heavier than the Chevys I don't know about the Dodges. Good Luck JON!!:):)

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
The late 2006 model year 6.0 had most of it's issues worked out and the one I have has so far been great. I just switched it to synthetic oil and gained 2 miles per gallon. At 57K the truck has been great. Listen to the other posters and do your homework on the truck. Everyone of them is different. I have no regrets so far "knock on wood".

I also still have a 1994 GMC K3500 that has a 6.5 turbo diesel in it, which are notorious for problems, that my wife drives to work every day. With 177K and a big V-plow that has been worked, I again have no regrets.

Every truck is different.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 2006 F250 6.o Diesel. I have just turned 58k. I have had no problems with the engine. Have replaced the water extractor and fuel pump. A/C fan motor and that is about it. I pull a 2008 3400RE which is a GVRW of 14k. My 3400 weighs out at 12.8k. I have pulled up a 12% grade (didn't know it was 12% until I came back and the sign show the grade) with no problem. I use Rotilla T 15-40 oil and change it every 5000 miles.

One thing you might think about. You did not say if you were driving an F250 or F350. They are about the same except that the 350 is rated for more pin weight. It has an extra spring that the 250 does not have. Otherwise they are the same. The 3670 has a GVRW of 16k. It might be a little heavy for even a F350. You will have to determine that for yourself. That is one of the reasons I did not try to purchase the 3670.

FWIW...

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
well we have a new 2008 ford f250 6.4 diesel that runs like a charm. getting 17-19mpg and 12-13 when towing. had no choice as my daughter was working for ford at the time and for under 40K and a 72,000 maintenance warranty figured i couldnt go wrong. just love that tow/haul. saves on the brakes too. on the way down pikes peak in colo at 14,200 ft they were stopping almost all cars and trucks for burning their brakes and we passed with flying colors due to the tow/haul.

I have a 2006 Ford F-250 with the 6.0 engine and 43,000 miles on it. Bought it new in November of 05' to pull a TT with. Recently moved up to the 36' Big Country 3490RB and have since pulled it on several trips with no problems at all!:) I do though agree with the other posts, check it out very closely.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Had an '06 F350 4x4 crew cab dually 6.0 auto. Run a carfax and get a Ford dealer to run the OASIS report.

Was a good truck, only problem I had was I froze the batteries at -40*F with wind chill around -80F, 10 minutes on a charger and then replaced both batteries cured that.

Traded it in at 125k 5 months ago, reason I traded was poor fuel economy for what I do.

Loved the superduty cab and would buy one again.... but next time I'll buy a gasser and drop in a Cummins/Allison combo. Best of the big 3 combined:D