Who's Responsible?? While your rigs in for warranty work.

TxRoadWarrior362

With freezing temps lasting multiple days, who's responsible for making sure our trailer is protected from freezing while in for warranty work. It has been at the dealer since December 2nd. It's a little late to ask now, but figured y'all have asked, or want to know. Anyone have an answer?

danemayer

Much as we'd all like there to be, there's probably no clear-cut or standard answer. It probably depends on location and dealer practice. I recall someone in the past having gotten a call from their dealer asking if they wanted the dealer to winterize the trailer at owner expense. It's still early. Perhaps you should contact the dealer and work out how to protect the plumbing.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Most dealerships that I've ever been to have signs plastered all around their parking lots and service departments claiming that they are not responsible for anything that happens to our rigs while on their lots.

Twice while our Heartland's were in for warranty service the rear bumper end caps were stolen and they said they were not responsible.

And once when our Trail Runner was at the dealership for several weeks getting warranty work done, when I arrived to pick it up they told me that it had a flat tire and that I needed to take the tire somewhere to get it fixed before they could move it.

I asked them why in all of the phone conversations we had while it was there nobody ever mentioned that it had a flat tire, to which I got the shrugged shoulder response.

Somehow it had picked up a nail on their lot . . . they pulled the tire and put a plug in it and charged me $25 bucks.

After I left I immediately went to the closest Big 'O' Tire shop and had them fix it right.

Last edited:

jerryjay11

Most dealerships that I've ever been to have signs plastered all around their parking lots and service departments claiming that they are not responsible for anything that happens to our rigs while on their lots.

Twice while our Heartland's were in for warranty service the rear bumper end caps were stolen and they said they were not responsible.

And once when our Trail Runner was at the dealership for several weeks getting warranty work done, when I arrived to pick it up they told me that it had a flat tire and that I needed to take the tire somewhere to get it fixed before they could move it.

I asked them why in all of the phone conversations we had while it was there nobody ever mentioned that it had a flat tire, to which I got the shrugged shoulder response.

Somehow it had picked up a naid on their lot . . . they pulled the tire and put a plug in it and charged me $25 bucks.

After I left I immediately went to the closest Big 'O' Tire shop and had them fix it right.

Thus the reason I drove 2.5 hours round trip to bring my camper home while waiting for the manufacturer to ship parts under warranty. No camper repair shop or even car repair shops take responsibility that I've experienced. That's why I keep full coverage.

My local dealer wouldn't accept our trailer for repair work after October 15 unless it was winterized. I let them do it because they had the rig. It only cost me $150.00. I didn't realize it would be that much until the work was done. Lesson learned. 3 gallons of RV antifreeze and a half hour work. Their labor rate is over $100 per hour. They have warning sizes that they are not responsible for any loss. I pointed out to them that they need to take reasonable precautions to make my rig safe, such as a fenced area. They seemed unconcerned. I sure hope they have good insurance...
:rolleyes:

Thunderbolt

Our 2018 Cyclone 4005.... I called and emailed the dealership and the service person said the techs go out and drain the water tank and lines. I also asked about the AGM batteries we paid for and were told they use the battery disconnect switch. They don't do anything with the generator so I ask them to run it.

Mark-Roberta 051995

This brings a good point. Ours is at the dealership right now for warranty work. They have had it since Nov. 1, 2017. They winterized first thing as I asked for that. Now comes the next dilemma - be patient as I write through the entire scenario.

Our old camper (5th Wheel) prior to getting the Heartland: This unit was in getting warranty work completed. They picked up the front of the camper with a forklift which is standard practice in order to move it out of the bay as their warranty work was complete. As they moved the unit out of the bay they turned almost 90 degrees and the forklift mast hit our front cap and cracked it. The day that I went to pick it up they were repainting it and getting ready to paint it. I never received a phone call stating - "hey, we damaged your unit". I will always wonder if they would have told me if I did not see them painting it. They took care of it and did an excellent job.

Now - fast forward to our current Heartland LM 365: Our new unit is getting warranty work and we frequent the dealership weekly or every other week as we live close enough to visit. Not everytime but on a regular basis our camper has been moved. We want to beleive that they did some work on it but not completed the job. Two weeks ago we were at the dealership and they said "we found some damage on your unit and have submitted it to Heartland for warranty work". They said that they think it came from the cold weather we have had lately. The paint on the FRONT CAP has cracked / spidered in the paint. They had photos but wanted to see for myself. Now - here is the area of the cracks - left side of cap - not on the front portion but as it is rounding around to the side. Guess how high it is ???? Right about forklift high (forklift mast). Now this is just a guess as I have not hooked anything up and they will probably not oblige by putting a forklift up there for me to investigate.
So, i spoke with Heartland warranty group today and they have denied the claim. They state it appears to be some form of "impact". Fortunately I agree. Now, I know the dealership is going to deny this as I have already questioned them since they damage my other one in the same manner. HMMM - where should I go with this? How would you handle this situation?

Thanks for your inputs and feel free to PM privately.

Mark

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 73
  • front cap zoom in 1.jpg
    front cap zoom in 1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 71
  • paint 1.jpg
    paint 1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 65

david-steph2018

This brings a good point. Ours is at the dealership right now for warranty work. They have had it since Nov. 1, 2017. They winterized first thing as I asked for that. Now comes the next dilemma - be patient as I write through the entire scenario.

Our old camper (5th Wheel) prior to getting the Heartland: This unit was in getting warranty work completed. They picked up the front of the camper with a forklift which is standard practice in order to move it out of the bay as their warranty work was complete. As they moved the unit out of the bay they turned almost 90 degrees and the forklift mast hit our front cap and cracked it. The day that I went to pick it up they were repainting it and getting ready to paint it. I never received a phone call stating - "hey, we damaged your unit". I will always wonder if they would have told me if I did not see them painting it. They took care of it and did an excellent job.

Now - fast forward to our current Heartland LM 365: Our new unit is getting warranty work and we frequent the dealership weekly or every other week as we live close enough to visit. Not everytime but on a regular basis our camper has been moved. We want to beleive that they did some work on it but not completed the job. Two weeks ago we were at the dealership and they said "we found some damage on your unit and have submitted it to Heartland for warranty work". They said that they think it came from the cold weather we have had lately. The paint on the FRONT CAP has cracked / spidered in the paint. They had photos but wanted to see for myself. Now - here is the area of the cracks - left side of cap - not on the front portion but as it is rounding around to the side. Guess how high it is ???? Right about forklift high (forklift mast). Now this is just a guess as I have not hooked anything up and they will probably not oblige by putting a forklift up there for me to investigate.
So, i spoke with Heartland warranty group today and they have denied the claim. They state it appears to be some form of "impact". Fortunately I agree. Now, I know the dealership is going to deny this as I have already questioned them since they damage my other one in the same manner. HMMM - where should I go with this? How would you handle this situation?

Thanks for your inputs and feel free to PM privately.

Mark
Wow, sorry to hear about that.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Don't let the dealerships tell you how they are going to do it . . . YOU TELL THEM HOW IT IS GOING TO BE! ;)

They walk all over their customers because the customers allow it.

One other thing I've learned . . .

Never . . . EVER leave your trailer at the dealership without a plan.

I now take the trailer to the dealership with a list of the problems . . . let them figure out what they need to fix the listed problems . . . then I take the trailer home and tell them to call me when they have ALL OF THE PARTS and I will then bring the trailer back to them.

Then I wait there until the job is done!

Period!

I've been jacked around enough times by the dealership's service departments and I no longer let them string me along.

My last round I did let them keep it for an agreed upon three weeks since it was in the middle of winter, and they strung me along again and kept it for 10 weeks.

And when I finally did pick it up just before a long trip, most of their repairs were half-@$$ed, some not even done, and a few new problems that were not even there when I dropped it off!

So they asked me to bring it back . . . and I refused!

They finally agreed to send their mobile tech to my house three times to re-fix the issues, and even he was amazed at the bad work that their shop did on it.

I tried to get that mobile tech to come back to my house (paid by me, of course) to work on my trailer, but he no longer works at that dealership and they wouldn't tell me where he went.

I'm full time now so none of this really matters now for me.