Adapter for Air Chuck?

AFMagnum

Anyone know off the top of their head what adapter I need inorder to use this air chuck with a standard gas station air compressor? The intent being I could pull up to any gas station air compressor and still air up my dually tires. I’m new to this, so if I’m going about this the wrong way, please let me know!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the air chuck that you linked to will be usable for the inner wheels.
You will need a straight foot chuck LIKE THIS.
If you are getting air from a station I doubt they will have a hose with a coupler on it but if it did it would most likely be LIKE THIS.
Also, consider getting a chuck LIKE THIS. I have one, it's awesome.
Think about getting a good Viair 12 volt compressor and carrying with you.

Peace
Dave

AFMagnum

I think I just found it: Milton 684-4

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks cookie, I didn’t see your reply before I posted again. The straight chuck doesn’t work that great for me because the way the tire valve is angled. I have a 2017 F-350 and others have suggested the angled chuck.

That kit seems like it will work great. I plan on getting a portable viair compressor, but I just got the truck and need the less expensive solution at the moment. :) Thanks!

mlpeloquin

A truck station might have enough pressure for your tires, but some standard gas stations set the pressure for car tires. That means 45psi max. So be careful. I was with a friend that needed air in his trailer tire (60psi). Maximum air out at the filling station was 45psi fixed. It could not be adjusted.

AFMagnum

A truck station might have enough pressure for your tires, but some standard gas stations set the pressure for car tires. That means 45psi max. So be careful. I was with a friend that needed air in his trailer tire (60psi). Maximum air out at the filling station was 45psi fixed. It could not be adjusted.

Wow, good to know. The one around the corner from me didn’t seem to have a max as I was able to put 60psi in the front tires (just couldn’t reach the inside duallys). Didn’t think about other stations being fixed at 45psi; all the more reason to get the viair.

danemayer

The Viair 400P has a 33% duty cycle. The 450P has a 100% duty cycle. If you ever need to run the compressor for more than a couple of minutes, the 450P is the better choice.

AFMagnum

Considering the 400P and the 450P are both showing $249 on Amazon right now, is there any reason NOT to get the 450P?!?

Oregon_Camper

Considering the 400P and the 450P are both showing $249 on Amazon right now, is there any reason NOT to get the 450P?!?

Here is a review of both
http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1508-testing-viairs-400p-and-450-p-air-compressors/

For us, the ability to air air faster with the 400P was better than having the ability to run the compressor for an hour vs 15 mins (why you would need to run the compressor for an hour is crazy).

- - - Updated - - -

The Viair 400P has a 33% duty cycle. The 450P has a 100% duty cycle. If you ever need to run the compressor for more than a couple of minutes, the 450P is the better choice.

Dan..it is engineered to run for 15 mins...then cool down for 30 mins. I used mine to top off 6 tires...never once did I have to wait for the 30 min cycle.

AFMagnum

Here is a review of both
http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1508-testing-viairs-400p-and-450-p-air-compressors/

For us, the ability to air air faster with the 400P was better than having the ability to run the compressor for an hour vs 15 mins (why you would need to run the compressor for an hour is crazy).

This is exactly why I asked the question. I would be using it to mostly just top off the tires. Didn’t realize the speed for airing up on the 400 was faster than the 450, but it looks like it’s not a massive gain so either way I’d be happy with both.

danemayer

There are more than a few people using the Viair 400P without running into an overheating/duty cycle delay. But as hot as these things can get, I'm more comfortable with the 100% duty cycle model. I think there used to be a significant price difference, but perhaps not so much anymore.

mlpeloquin

I have the Viair 400P. Works well to top off the tires. I have G614's and keep 105psi in them. One rim has had leaking problem when cold. It would loose 10psi over night. This is a problem that I finally fixed. The pump gets warm, but not hot to go from 95 to 105 psi. To consolidate space, I made a battery box from a plastic vinyl record storage box that holds the two batteries. The top locks and opens easy so I can use the fifth wheels batteries to run the air pump. I chose to make an extension cord for it instead of getting a longer air hose. So everything fits into the caring bag it comes with. I used Anderson Power Products connectors to make the extension. Lighter and easier to store then air hose.