BigHorn 3400-RL - Under Bed Storage boxes

SmokeyBare

I finally got around to making a little more storage. We needed a good place to store extra sheets, blankets, beach towels, anything light weight.

I was able to build these using only a cordless drill, a borrowed circular saw and a couple hand tools.

Material bought: 3 - 1X3 boards 8' long
1 - sheet of 1/4 inch plywood.
12 - Simple angle plates
Dry wall & wood screws

Tricky part was to build it and still have the slide room move back and forth !! That required keeping a safe distance away from the steel Slide Room hardware bolted to the floor. This limited the width and depth of the boxes. All said and done... I have 2 Boxes... 36" long X 10" wide X 12" deep... that's close enough description anyway...

The top plywood panel that covered the slide hardware was sliced with a razor knife... The center section screwed down to prevent opening accidentally.

Here's a few photos...

DCP_4162_1.JPG

DCP_4163_1.JPG

Attachments

• DCP_4164_1.JPG
    DCP_4164_1.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 360
  • DCP_4166_1.JPG
    DCP_4166_1.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 350
  • DCP_4167_1.JPG
    DCP_4167_1.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 398
  • DCP_4168_1.JPG
    DCP_4168_1.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 372
  • DCP_4170_1.JPG
    DCP_4170_1.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 388

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Nice job Marv! Now we'll have another link to send folks that are looking to increase the storage in that area.

jbeletti

Nice job Marv! I see you waited until Karen was out of the country to tear into the 'Horn.

Hopefully she will feel the storage relief when she sees the space you opened up elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Very nice Marv. I may need to borrow that idea in the future. Thank for sharing.

Mark

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Marv good idea I like the idea that adds storage and, makes useable storage space, from wasted space, good job and keep up the good work on the heartland tech team TRAVELER07[Rick]

jnbhobe

Nice work Marv! Now I will have to be a copycat. Thats just what we need something simple and effective. Good Job !!:) Hope to see you again soon.JON:)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Great Job!! I thought I'd have a heart attack after getting our 3600RL and lifting up the bed to store things out of our old 5er...had to scramble real quick to figure out what to do with those items!! Now just have to talk DH into following your lead...LOL!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Marv....truly outstanding ,a job well done. Thanks for the pics , makes it all come together , in my feeble mind.:D..... Kenny

Chuck Richard

Marv, great job, I wish I had seen this before last weekend. I had the 2X2 support at the head of the bed break and decided to upgrade to some smooth 3/4 inch plywood since I had to take the whole thing apart to fix the support anyway. The matress now moves easily and the thicker wood makes me more secure feeling. The 2X2 board had a knot right near the middle and of course it broke there. This would have been a fantastic addition while I was in there. Well a good winter project. Thanks for the pics and idea.

SmokeyBare

Thanks all for the Remarks. I'll not be showing any close up photos though... after looking at Travelers Mods... he did a fantastic job ! The fine cuts are not so easy to make...working off the tail gate of the truck using a circular saw. Well... that's My excuse and I'll stick too it !!

Chuck... Sorry I didn't get started earlier... Although... I Love Dry Wall Screws ! So easy to remove my mistakes and do it all over again...

Some of the Steel hardware for the slide was what I needed to work around as the whole wooden bed frame must move past it as it travels back and forth... Otherwise the boxes would have been a little wider. Still I got well over 5 cubic foot of additional storage.

Marv

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Marv I had help from I friend of mine he has the right tools, and collects tools for every job.You did a great job and every one thinks so.You are still the on Heartland design tech.team ,you got your pay raise,check is in the mail ![just kidding about the raise right Jim] TRAVELER

boatdoc

After looking under our 3670BH bed one can only do the left side for storage as the steel supports are offset to the right. Instead of doing a wood box affair I think I'll try and find one long or two short plastic totes to suspend from the factory 2x2 supports on the sides. If the right size totes aren't available I guess I'll break out the old carpentry tools.

SmokeyBare

BoatDoc,

You may find some Wire baskets that would fit as well. They might be found at Lowe's or Home Depot. Down side would be small items could fall through the wire mesh.

Marv

boatdoc

Search is over!! The wife found the perfect wire baskets, THANKS Marv, at Home Depot. Closetmaid # 6210. They fit perfect with out any mods at all except to cut the cover paneling piece offat the right width. This is for the 3670 but I'm sure all the other models could go the same route if you don't want to mess with al the carpentry stuff. They are strong and lightweight, about $17.00 each. Even if one had to move the 2x2 support a little this is an easy way to gain some storage and lose some empty wasted space. These baskets are 11' deep, 17" wide and 21" long. They call them 11' High Drawer.

Attachments

• underbed1.jpg
    underbed1.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 152
  • underbed2.jpg
    underbed2.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 158

SmokeyBare

Gary !

You did good my friend !! What a perfect fit for the space !! Leave it to an Ol' Salt... to use every little bit of space available. The baskets are just what you needed.

Marv

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Gary,
Looks like you've posted Mark's next mod. for our 3670. Thanks for the part number. That will help a lot.

Kristy

navyAZ1

Well Marv, you've just caused me some work Miss Ann was looking over my shoulder while I was reading all these threads and now I have been tasked with this project. Now that we are fulltiming she needs more storage areas so come January I'll be working on this since our camp host duties for that month will be limited and I'll have more free time.