2016 North Trail 22 RBK - keeping batteries charged

I am new to this trailer, just upgraded from a 2004 KZ. My two dogs and I are going on a six week boon docking trip soon and my concern is how to charge the batteries. I have a small Honda generator, but what will be the best battery charger that will not break the bank? I was told I need a 25 amp (?) in order to do the job. Also, I pull with a 2005 Duramax Diesel, and with two batteries, will the battery charger charge those batteries if need be? I will be traveling alone and really need advice in this area. I understand that they will charge going down the road, and the occasional night or two at a campground, but what about out there on that BLM ground? Thanks, and please keep it simple for me.

danemayer

If you plan to run the generator to keep the trailer battery charged, all you have to do is plug the trailer power cord into the generator - which might require an adapter between the trailer power cord plug and the generator's receptacle. Once the trailer has power from the generator, the Power Converter inside the trailer will keep the trailer battery charged.

You should not keep the trailer umbilical cord connected to the truck while camping. On some trucks the umbilical cord receptacle is powered even with ignition off and as the trailer needs power, it could run the truck batteries down.

Normal occasional truck operation should keep the truck batteries charged without need for a battery charger hooked up to the generator.

That all said, for various reasons it's not a bad idea to carry a battery charger. You might also consider a portable solar kit to help keep the trailer battery charged.

If you plan to run the generator to keep the trailer battery charged, all you have to do is plug the trailer power cord into the generator - which might require an adapter between the trailer power cord plug and the generator's receptacle. Once the trailer has power from the generator, the Power Converter inside the trailer will keep the trailer battery charged.

You should not keep the trailer umbilical cord connected to the truck while camping. On some trucks the umbilical cord receptacle is powered even with ignition off and as the trailer needs power, it could run the truck batteries down.

Normal occasional truck operation should keep the truck batteries charged without need for a battery charger hooked up to the generator.

That all said, for various reasons it's not a bad idea to carry a battery charger. You might also consider a portable solar kit to help keep the trailer battery charged.

Thank you for the info. When I asked the RV company about this, they said I needed to use a battery charger to charge the camper batteries. I do not understand why either way. Is one way more effective than the other, taking less time to charge? I do not plan to run the generator a lot, as I am going to try to be frugal and not need it much. I probably will not be in one place more than 5-7 days, and I have done that before without needing to run the generator to charge the batteries.

danemayer

Thank you for the info. When I asked the RV company about this, they said I needed to use a battery charger to charge the camper batteries. I do not understand why either way. Is one way more effective than the other, taking less time to charge? I do not plan to run the generator a lot, as I am going to try to be frugal and not need it much. I probably will not be in one place more than 5-7 days, and I have done that before without needing to run the generator to charge the batteries.

You can keep the batteries charged either way. But you already have a Power Converter that does the same as what a large battery charger can do, and more. Based just on wire sizes, I would expect the Power Converter provides faster charging than most battery chargers would.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
When we had our 22rbk we used to boon-dock a lot. With 4 of us using it we generally needed to run the generator a couple hours every other day or so to keep all systems working.

When we had our 22rbk we used to boon-dock a lot. With 4 of us using it we generally needed to run the generator a couple hours every other day or so to keep all systems working.

Thank you for that info. I do realize every TT is different on power usage, as is every individual. Since it is just me, and being very conservative, I should be able to go more than every other day. At least you gave me an idea. This is an experiment to see how frugal I can be for six weeks.

Oregon_Camper

For your boondocking, the generator will do everything you need...provide 110v to the RV and charge your battery.

Consider taking the time to watch this video I did for portable solar panel. This thing does a GREAT job of keeping the batteries charged...it would be great for you, as you'll be the only one using power.

https://youtu.be/-gi0JZZVizE

Finally...if you are boondocking in remote locations and have a concern about possibly needing to jump start your truck, consider a portable battery charger/jump start device. Here is my YouTube video on one that we've been using for our RV needs for ~7 years. We never camp without having this fully charged before leaving home. I love love love this device. Oh...this is also great for charging phone, computer, etc...without using the RV's battery.

https://youtu.be/flCCQr53kgA

Thank you so much for the links and the information. It was very helpful.

For your boondocking, the generator will do everything you need...provide 110v to the RV and charge your battery.

Consider taking the time to watch this video I did for portable solar panel. This thing does a GREAT job of keeping the batteries charged...it would be great for you, as you'll be the only one using power.

https://youtu.be/-gi0JZZVizE

Finally...if you are boondocking in remote locations and have a concern about possibly needing to jump start your truck, consider a portable battery charger/jump start device. Here is my YouTube video on one that we've been using for our RV needs for ~7 years. We never camp without having this fully charged before leaving home. I love love love this device. Oh...this is also great for charging phone, computer, etc...without using the RV's battery.

https://youtu.be/flCCQr53kgA