Traveling with front end cap lights on?

klp605

We just traveled from the Florida Keys to Madison, WI. For the first time ever, I noticed many campers being towed with front end cap lights on. Is there a purpose for this? There was a lot of traffic, wind, rain, snow, and freezing temperatures that we traveled through. Not sure if that is an important factor.

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are you talking about the upper clearance lights? Think they might be required.

Peace
Dave

TobyMak

Peace
Dave

I always travel with my lights on for safety. That is why new vehicles have daytime running lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Whenever traveling the trailer lights are on for us.
Whenever stopped the pig tail is never jumped to keep the lights on :rolleyes:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Truck & Trailer lights on if the engine’s running. I want to be seen by everyone!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Mine stay on to power my camera mounted on the rear

x2. With the camera now installed to trailer lights, it reminds me to turn my lights on. :eek: It is a win-win. :)

I found this video on Amazon, while researching some lights. Man...this guy sits the bar high for the rest of us. However, I got the "green light" from my wife to do this to our Bighorn. Yea!

watch close....even his trucks running board lights act as a blinker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R7UIHD83E932L?ref=va_cr_lb

avvidclif

In Texas the law requires if your wipers are on the headlight will be on also. Makes sense if you think about it, Besides my backup camera is wired to the running lights. If I want to see behind me, turn on the pk lights.

We just traveled from the Florida Keys to Madison, WI. For the first time ever, I noticed many campers being towed with front end cap lights on. Is there a purpose for this? There was a lot of traffic, wind, rain, snow, and freezing temperatures that we traveled through. Not sure if that is an important factor.

I never have but it's a good idea. I have two Led strips on the front end cap of mine.

klp605

Peace
Dave
They are the lights that one would turn on in the pass through, not the lights that come on automatically when you turn your vehicle lights on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

They are the lights that one would turn on in the pass through, not the lights that come on automatically when you turn your vehicle lights on.

Guess I don't have the lights you're referring to. I only have 3 markers lights...shown with the 3 red arrows.

Capture.jpg

klp605

Our unit is in for warranty work so this is a stock image. However, there us a switch in the pass through that turns these on. This is the type if light I am talking about, not the running lights per say.
f53ed3623e6c6425e5c7dd9f2f72e34e.jpg

porthole

Retired
Our unit is in for warranty work so this is a stock image. However, there us a switch in the pass through that turns these on. This is the type if light I am talking about, not the running lights per say.

In your trailer paperwork is it mentioned anywhere what purpose those lights provide?

You can't drive with them on, and parked opposite of someone who leaves them on all night - it is like having lasers pointed your way.

Lou_and_Bette

The people who run down the road with these lights on are probably the same ones that put those “5 mega-sun” fog lights on the front of their trucks and run with those on even in clear conditions.:mad: “Biggest and brightest lights make me the baddest truck on the road.”

klp605

The people who run down the road with these lights on are probably the same ones that put those “5 mega-sun” fog lights on the front of their trucks and run with those on even in clear conditions.:mad: “Biggest and brightest lights make me the baddest truck on the road.”
We all had a good laugh.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We have V shaped LED lighting on the nose of our new Cyclone. I don't turn them on while towing as I think there would be a lot of glare in my rearview mirror . I have turned them on while we're out and about in the evening as an easy way to spot our home. They also serve to illuminate the hitch so, hopefully, nobody walks into it. I haven't left them on overnight

BusManRG

I think the fact that all of those pretty new front LED lights that are appearing on the caps of newer model fifth wheels are turned on from inside the coach means that they are not meant to be used while driving. I would guess any lights that could/should be on while driving would be operational from the cab of your tow vehicle.

Sandy