North Carolina License requirements for towing 5th wheel - Class A or not

Michael47

Hello
New to Big Horn campers have only been able to use it twice since getting it.
Checking to see if anyone can tell me if I need a NC Class A license for a F350 dually and 2018 Big Horn combined GAWR of 29000.
Have tried to read the manual from DOT and may need to be a lawyer to understand it.

Thanks
Really enjoy reading this forum

Oldelevatorman

NC License requirements for towing 5th wheel - Class A or not

You probably mean GVWR. 29000? My Landmark at GVW and dually fully loaded is only 27000. How can that be, just curious? I need an Non Comm. Class A in CA because the 5th wheel is over 15,000 GVWR. If you don't it's good to have the expertise anyway. A lot of states don't require it. See if your state DMV has an RV publication. It should explain what you need or don't need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael47

Re: NC License requirements for towing 5th wheel - Class A or not

You probably mean GVWR. 29000? My Landmark at GVW and dually fully loaded is only 27000. How can that be, just curious? I need an Non Comm. Class A in CA because the 5th wheel is over 15,000 GVWR. If you don't it's good to have the expertise anyway. A lot of states don't require it. See if your state DMV has an RV publication. It should explain what you need or don't need.

Yes it was GVWR. (Old people can't type.) The F350 is 13000 and the Bighorn is 16000 = 29000 way over the 26001 Class A listed in the manual requirements.

Mark-Roberta 051995

Yes it was GVWR. (Old people can't type.) The F350 is 13000 and the Bighorn is 16000 = 29000 way over the 26001 Class A listed in the manual requirements.

Are you really going to push your F-350 to the max. of 13,000? Probably not as you would have to put about 5K in the bed of it and you can't do that when towing your 5th wheel. You should run your entire unit across the scales to get your real weight. That would tell you what you need based on the total weight and then NC DMV rules and regulations.

Lou_and_Bette

FYI, in Texas, they don’t care what your actual rig weighs, they use the GVWR as stated on the rig’s data sticker. I was trying to avoid having to get a non-commercial class A license with the old RW when we moved to Texas. Took them a certified weight but they didn’t want to see it, only picture (printed out) of data sticker...RW was 18,000. Gave them curb weight of F450 7,650 per Ford’s web site...still under tip point of 26,001 pounds. NOOOOO, they knew truck was 1.5 ton so they added 3000 pounds to the weight I gave them, pushing me over the limit of 26,001. Testing wasn’t too bad, regular written commercial test and “modified” driving test. One point brought up on the Escapees forum (geared towards full-timers) is that if your state requires this license class for rigs above a certain weight and you circumvent getting that license you may open yourself to large civil and legal consequences if you are involved in an accident even if technically you weren’t at fault because you weren’t “running legal.” Personally, glad I have mine

porthole

Retired

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

According to this website, in NC you need a non-commercial class A or B
According to the same website, in New Jersey we need nothing extra, just an ordinary drivers license.

How does your State use GCW's? In New Jersey we use the registered rate or vehicle 'decal'ed' rating, whichever is higher. We also don't need any type of endorsement for the typical 26,001+ vehicles.
Our trailer is registered at 18,500 and the truck at *****.
The truck's rating is 13,300.

Do not be surprised as you start traveling and adding 'stuff' both to the truck and trailer how much weight you gain.
Just with our truck the additions over stock are 300 pound hitch, 45 gallon auxiliary fuel tank, 38 to 65 gallon in frame tank, steel tool box (full) and roll top bed cover.

June 2011 my truck weighed 10,020 pounds, pin weight was 3,060 = 13,160 on the truck axles
May 2012 it weighed 10,820 pounds, pin weight was 3,340 = 14,200 on the truck axles

That 2012 weigh-in the truck and trailer were loaded for a 2 week boon dock trip. including firewood, 14 gallon gasoline tote and 28 gallon extra water tank.

My point to all of this is, it is not that difficult to reach the GVW of your truck.

- - - Updated - - -

Semi related - in New Jersey Fire Department vehicle operators are exempt from any form of commercial license.
Even those of us that drive 70,000+ pound tandem axle vehicles with air and mechanical spring brakes.

Michael47

Are you really going to push your F-350 to the max. of 13,000? Probably not as you would have to put about 5K in the bed of it and you can't do that when towing your 5th wheel. You should run your entire unit across the scales to get your real weight. That would tell you what you need based on the total weight and then NC DMV rules and regulations.

The DOT License person said it is not the actual weight but the total GAWR of both tow vehicle and RV.
Your towing weights will change on about every trip and would be hard to cover if you did not go high enough.

Thanks
Barry

Mark-Roberta 051995

The DOT License person said it is not the actual weight but the total GAWR of both tow vehicle and RV.
Your towing weights will change on about every trip and would be hard to cover if you did not go high enough.

Thanks
Barry

Hey Barry,

I agree based on the other responses on here. I did not understand that the DOT took "what can it weigh" vs. "what does it weigh". I may have to investigate this further also. Thanks for addressing this issue.

Mark

Oldelevatorman

What are you hauling in your truck that it weighs 13k. No room for pin weight then!

cbramsey

According to page 10 of the North Carolina Driver Handbook, Source: https://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/handbooks_NCDL_English.pdf

Class A: Required to operate a combination of vehicles that is exempt from CDL requirements when the towed unit has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more.​

Class B: Required to operate any single vehicle that is exempt from CDL requirements with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR not in excess of 10,000 pounds.​

Michael47

What are you hauling in your truck that it weighs 13k. No room for pin weight then!

Not hauling anything, that is the GVWR weight stamped on the door post certificate.
They use the possible weight not the actual weight. My truck with me and the hitch is actually less than 9000 on CAT scales.

Thanks

bwdt

I thought it was suppose to be the GCWR. doesn't your truck have a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) on the sticker? I believe mine does, but I will have to check.

If you add the truck and the trailer together, you will need to subtract the max pin weight to be accurate.

Max truck + Max trailer - max pin weight = maximum weight based on their logic (its called idiocracy):rolleyes:

Oldelevatorman

NC License requirements for towing 5th wheel - Class A or not

So your truck only weighs around 9000. That's more like it.
It doesn't weigh what they say, it weighs what the scale says. They use GVWR for licensing, fees etc.

Oldelevatorman

I thought it was suppose to be the GCWR. doesn't your truck have a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) on the sticker? I believe mine does, but I will have to check.

If you add the truck and the trailer together, you will need to subtract the max pin weight to be accurate.

Max truck + Max trailer - max pin weight = maximum weight based on their logic (its called idiocracy):rolleyes:

The GCWR on my truck is in a chart in the Ford manual.

ncrzrbk

In NC, you are exempt with a fifth wheel camper as a recreational vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Oldelevatorman

The NC we're talking about here is Non-Commercial. But that's great that you don't need a special license in North Carolina.

rhodies1

The NC we're talking about here is Non-Commercial. But that's great that you don't need a special license in North Carolina.

Lucky you,here in Nova Scotia Canada ,any trailer which has a dry weight of 10000 lbs or more,commercial or RV,you are required to take a drivers test and have a special license. Oh yes there is an additional fee yearly for this class as well.

Michael47

Where can I find this information in print. I would love to be able to print this out and carry it with me but I can't find it.
Thanks for any help

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

ncrzrbk

Where can I find this information in print. I would love to be able to print this out and carry it with me but I can't find it.
Thanks for any help

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

7817f1395f44e581dbc3b7bda085a46b.jpg

Hopefully you can read this.

ncrzrbk

Sorry I mis read the post. Did not mean to hijack the OP thread