Best Things I Ever Did!

Uncle Rog

With my new intake / exhaust system and the new shocks the GMC runs and feels like a brand new truck. I have 65k on the rig now and would recommend the up-grades to any body with any truck............

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Did ya ever notice? Even after just washing and vacuuming and cleaning the inside windows and a dash detail how much better the truck runs. :D

Forrest Fetherolf

Did ya ever notice? Even after just washing and vacuuming and cleaning the inside windows and a dash detail how much better the truck runs. :D

I use that exact "super tune process in a bucket" and it really works, I function better after a shower, too. :):):):)

Kinda makes me wonder if some of these mods are more psychological than functional. Unless you run the same coarse under same conditions................how can you tell if there is any change?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Forrest

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Wanna really feel the difference the intake and exhaust make...... Add some good performance tunes;), ...... then set it on stupid and roast the tiresNone:D

About time for me to replace the shocks (149k on them:eek:... oops), get an alignment and replace the front tires, prolly do it early this week.

Uncle Rog

Hey Forrest, I have run the same course for longer than I will admit, and outside of a good detail job, these mods have made a real difference. The MPG on the truck with regular every day street / freeway driving has gone up almost 2 mpg. From 14.9 to a pretty constant 16.7......and psychologically I feel much better, ha.........

bigredtruck

DH washes his '96 F350 every day - does that make it better than new? He also just did the exhaust etc, then had to haul the 'old' trailer. Came home with a big silly grin on his face, raving about mileage, power. you boys and your toys!

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Maybe yes...maybe no. Depends on the dealer.
sorry lefty has zero to do with the dealer, only the manufacturer. I know this because I called Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, and Dodge and got the same reply. Put something new in there like Banks and your warranty is voided. They went as far as creating methods to detect these adjuncts, even if they are removed before bringing into dealer for service. Darn sensors! Wish u were right.

jpmorgan37

Still depends on the dealer. Some still believe in taking care of the customer and will overlook some mods. I speak from experience. It may end up biting me in the end, but for now, I sure enjoy the difference.

John

pmmjarrett

DH washes his '96 F350 every day - does that make it better than new? He also just did the exhaust etc, then had to haul the 'old' trailer. Came home with a big silly grin on his face, raving about mileage, power. you boys and your toys!

Just visited my brother in Texas who's been bragging about his mods to his 7.3 Excursion...... ATS turbo housing, silverline exhaust, tymar intake, 6.0 intercooler DP Tuner F5 chip etc.

He came out to see who pulled the duece and a half into his driveway when I pulled in :D...... Will give him a ride with puter set on the extra 230 hp/430 tq Crazy Larry tune tomorrow;)

pmmjarrett

Still depends on the dealer. Some still believe in taking care of the customer and will overlook some mods. I speak from experience. It may end up biting me in the end, but for now, I sure enjoy the difference.

John

Yep, some of the dealers even sell and install the intake and exhaust mods.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
guess all the dealers and corporations i talked to were just covering their butts. I met with each one and got the same answer which was any alterations will void the warranty. to me its not worth taking the chance.

Uncle Rog

LH, using a tuner is a warranty issue, however, in order to void a warranty the mod has to be proven to cause a proble. As posted earlier the intake / exhaust is an option that even the dealers offer.......................

DavidIley

Shocks and 65k

With my new intake / exhaust system and the new shocks the GMC runs and feels like a brand new truck. I have 65k on the rig now and would recommend the up-grades to any body with any truck............
With only 65k on your GMC, surprised that you needed new shocks. I've 162,000 km on my 2003 GMC 2500HD. Starting my third set of tires now. OEM Bridgestones did not last long. Now onto second set of Michelins. Had to replace front wheel hubs at 120,000 km but still on original rotors and pads. Lots of wear left in them - tow/haul mode really makes a difference in saving brakes.
About to go for Bully Dog or equivalent to increase performance now that Ive got a 7 ton 3055RL

Uncle Rog

Dave, I drive on dirt quite a bit, no racing just avoiding traffic, and the washboard on the stk shocks beat them down I guess. Anyways even my wife noticed the difference right away on a couple of bouncy stretches of freeway. My brakes are still good also, 75%+............

r4man2

'03 2500HD experience

Was pulling our 5th wheel in Nebraska when alarms came on and black smokescreen developed. Immediately stopped and was towed to Sidney where we spent nine days getting our turbo replaced under warranty. We have dealer installed Banks exhaust and EGT/boost gages. Nothing was said by GM or Sidney dealer about these 'mods'. $5K repair was all covered under GM warranty. Hope you have the same experience.//heartlandowners.org/images/smilies/angel.png

trashygasman

Future Sundance Owner
With only 65k on your GMC, surprised that you needed new shocks. I've 162,000 km on my 2003 GMC 2500HD. Starting my third set of tires now. OEM Bridgestones did not last long. Now onto second set of Michelins. Had to replace front wheel hubs at 120,000 km but still on original rotors and pads. Lots of wear left in them - tow/haul mode really makes a difference in saving brakes.
About to go for Bully Dog or equivalent to increase performance now that Ive got a 7 ton 3055RL

Don't know if you've bought a programmer yet. I will tell you from experience not to get a Bully Dog. I started out with one, but after joining a few diesel forums and talking to other Duramax owners, the PPE is the only way to go. I switched to a PPE and the difference is night and day.

Kyle

bill40

I have to agree with John. This is my second Chevy. with a Banks system and my dealer installed both units. Yes we have purched all of vehicles from him. I know the banks is a bit more than some of the other units. I had several warranty problems with my 95 and never had a problem having them fixed.
The 05 only has 54000 on it so it is not even broke in but I have never gotten less than 17mpg running around and normally 21 on the highway. Can't say they are worth the price (stock durmax is great) but above 5000 feet it sure does preform.
I guess I lucky to have a unstanding dealer for 14 years.//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
Solution to warranty problems: get an older truck and beef up to your heart's content.

My '97 7.3 F350 4x4 has beefed suspension, Banks kit, Rickson wheels, and an overbuilt tranny. Runs great with 170K miles on it.

I want the truck to go, not worry about whether turning a bolt will void my warranty.

rickb