Power Control System

gfnesbitt

I was paging through my 2018 Oshkosh Power Control System monitor and I noticed at the “Operation Mode” screen there is no status for the Battery Charger nor the Inverter Status. It may very well have come from the factory like this. If it wasn’t for the fact I had to replace my inverter, and read the Power Control System Manual, I would not have known to look for this status. I removed my basement panels and I see I have a Intellipower PD9280 converter/charger. What should I be looking for between the converter and the Power Control System Panel. I contacted Hearland, and they sent me a trouble shooting guide. The guide, however, does not address this issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

I was paging through my 2018 Oshkosh Power Control System monitor and I noticed at the “Operation Mode” screen there is no status for the Battery Charger nor the Inverter Status. It may very well have come from the factory like this. If it wasn’t for the fact I had to replace my inverter, and read the Power Control System Manual, I would not have known to look for this status. I removed my basement panels and I see I have a Intellipower PD9280 converter/charger. What should I be looking for between the converter and the Power Control System Panel. I contacted Hearland, and they sent me a trouble shooting guide. The guide, however, does not address this issue.

I Dont think the PCS system shows any specifics for either the power converter or the inverter. I don't think it ever has. Without added hardware I dont see how it could.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

gfnesbitt

I Dont think the PCS system shows any specifics for either the power converter or the inverter. I don't think it ever has. Without added hardware I dont see how it could.

The back of my main Control system breaker panel has a J2 socket labeled Magnum Inverter and a J3 socket labeled Magnum remote. I am only going by what my Users guide shows.
f492da92642a306985d41ece4eab9f78.jpg

danemayer

The PCS hardware may have been modified to add capability. Another coach manufacturer may have requested that. Doesn't mean Heartland is using that feature.

gfnesbitt

The PCS hardware may have been modified to add capability. Another coach manufacturer may have requested that. Doesn't mean Heartland is using that feature.

I figured out what the issue is. There is a RJ11 cable that runs from my inverter to a remote switch on the inside. That cable should have run from the inverter to J2 on the Power Control Panel and another RJ11 cable from J3 to the Remote Switch. As soon as I get another RJ11 cable and install it, I will post how it works out.

danemayer

I figured out what the issue is. There is a RJ11 cable that runs from my inverter to a remote switch on the inside. That cable should have run from the inverter to J2 on the Power Control Panel and another RJ11 cable from J3 to the Remote Switch. As soon as I get another RJ11 cable and install it, I will post how it works out.

You might want to call PCS to discuss before running your experiment.

gfnesbitt

You might want to call PCS to discuss before running your experiment.

I contacted Heartland CS Jeff Marner. He has always been very responsive and helpful. Here is his reply:

"Heartland rv doesn’t hook up that feature for the power management system . its an option that we do not use .
I just got off the phone with precision circuits on this and engineering from us .
We don’t have RJ11 cable for the system to send you , what is used, is what comes with the system .
If you want this option you would want to purchase the cable from precision circuits or locally."
I asked why it shows in the Precision Controls User's users guide. He could not explain.

So, I bought a cable locally and proceeded to install. See the attached pic. There is actually two cables joined by an inline modular coupler. I did not need another cable.

Attachments

• IMG_1695.jpg
    IMG_1695.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 54

danemayer

I contacted Heartland CS Jeff Marner. He has always been very responsive and helpful. Here is his reply:

"Heartland rv doesn’t hook up that feature for the power management system . its an option that we do not use .
I just got off the phone with precision circuits on this and engineering from us .
We don’t have RJ11 cable for the system to send you , what is used, is what comes with the system .
If you want this option you would want to purchase the cable from precision circuits or locally."
I asked why it shows in the Precision Controls User's users guide. He could not explain.

So, I bought a cable locally and proceeded to install. See the attached pic. There is actually two cables joined by an inline modular coupler. I did not need another cable.

I'm not sure I understand the benefit. If I follow, you're now getting a status on the inverter that supplies power to the residential refrigerator when not on shore power. Does the PCS even show status when not on shore power? If on shore power, and the inverter is not supplying power to the fridge, how does the information help you? When shore power is disconnected, are you getting any info from the PCS?

gfnesbitt

I am not getting a status of the inverter whether I am on shore power or not. I do get info from the PCS when disconnected. I read the PCS trouble shooting guide that is on our site and it shows multiple status’ I should be looking for. I thought it would be helpful to know these. If this is not offered perhaps the manual s need to reflect this. I was looking for something that is not there and thought something was wrong with my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

If this is not offered perhaps the manual s need to reflect this. I was looking for something that is not there and thought something was wrong with my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is the manual a Heartland manual, or is it a PCS manual that supports multiple manufacturers? I've not seen a Heartland manual on the PCS, so I would assume it's a PCS manual. Perhaps you should ask them to add a note that not all coach manufacturers use that feature.