Fresh Water Tank - Water Filtration

Oregon_Camper

As it is now Winter and we're not camping (insert sad face) I have been researching other things to add to our Blog.

One thing I've never paid much attention to was our water filtration....until now.

We didn't think about the quality of our water while camping because we installed what most RV campers do.... a Camco water filter. However, during the PNW Regional Rally, I noticed a lot of folks were using a double filtration systems, that was sitting outside of their RV. Knowing those folks were smarter than I am, I made a mental note to look into that.

As I looked into it, I discovered the Camco filters we've been using (1 per season) wasn't doing the job as much as we thought. Our sense of security with our water was washed away!! Sure, sediments over 100-microns were being filtered out with the Camco filter....but it wasn't removing the harmful contaminants such as Silt, Bacteria and Giardia. We discovered through our research that ClearSource is good solution to actually removes harmful contaminants from the water going into our RV.

So, if you have a few minutes and want read the Blog about this...click here. If you just want to relax and watch the video...click here.

Note...this is not a low cost solution upfront. The initial purchase, which includes 2 filters is $275. Then after 2,000 gallons, you can purchase a 2-pack of filters for $30.

farside291

This is what I mounted under my sink. Pressure Tank on the right and filter system mounted on the left side. Still have room for cleaning supplies ect. Filters last anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. Replacement set of filters is $70.00. Filters down to 20 ppm. Bottle water is around 12 ppm. Some bottles are 4 ppm but they taste funny. Winterization, Blow out water until pressure tank is empty, remove lower filters, disconnect 5 lines and bring assembly in house and store. Leave pressure tank in camper. Easy and makes clear ice cubes. They have a ice maker adapter that plumbs right into the icemaker water line. I purchased ppm water meter and I change filters when I measure above 40 ppm.

https://www.amazon.com/iSpring-RCC7...r=8-4&keywords=6+stage+reverse+osmosis+system

Oregon_Camper

This is what I mounted under my sink. Pressure Tank on the right and filter system mounted on the left side. Still have room for cleaning supplies ect. Filters last anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. Replacement set of filters is $70.00. Filters down to 20 ppm. Bottle water is around 12 ppm. Some bottles are 4 ppm but they taste funny. Winterization, Blow out water until pressure tank is empty, remove lower filters, disconnect 5 lines and bring assembly in house and store. Leave pressure tank in camper. Easy and makes clear ice cubes. They have a ice maker adapter that plumbs right into the icemaker water line. I purchased ppm water meter and I change filters when I measure above 40 ppm.

https://www.amazon.com/iSpring-RCC7...r=8-4&keywords=6+stage+reverse+osmosis+system

That is a fine system indeed!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Been using a two filter system at our site for years. It sits in a large covered tote under the kitchen slide all summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I noticed at the RV show, the 2018 Landmark and Big Country now have a water filter in the UDC.
c02c1f08b16da0e98c671edac16a3937.jpg

Oregon_Camper

I noticed at the RV show, the 2018 Landmark and Big Country now have a water filter in the UDC.

I wonder what the rating is on that filter? We (meaning "I") though using the Camco filters was the right thing. Well....not really. Those darn things only filter to 100 microns....

NYSUPstater

We had that style so to speak (clear case/housing) in our SOB coach prior to our BC and wished it was offered last year. Oh well. We now use a single in line filter from a source we got on this forum (have to go back thru e-mails to find the name of company), but very happy w/ the product.Think it's a higher quality filter than the Camco (no offense OP). Only time we use the filter tho is for city water at CG's. When filling fresh tank, just tap water from here at the house cuz the tank is filled at beginning of season for sanitizing system and 1x when we dry camp for a w/e. Long trips, just 20 gallons. Well as the fine print says tho on back page of brochures, changes made w/o notice. Nice change this is tho.

CoveredWagon

I wonder what the rating is on that filter? We (meaning "I") though using the Camco filters was the right thing. Well....not really. Those darn things only filter to 100 microns....

The filter rating is what ever you install in the case. I use a 1 micron and a carbon filter in the second case. Check out. The Water Filter Store on line.

NYSUPstater

I just went back thru my e-mails and found the info and coveredwagon posted what I was going to. We got the 6" inline OmnipureK5667 filter that's pb free. We ordered it w/ fittings, but am sure we just x-fer them to new filter cuz of kwik-connects. It's a 1 season filter for like 30 bucks I think. Filter for last coach, we got thru FR and was like 35 bucks. Probly could've used a cheaper filter, but figured it's what came w/ it and recommended by filter housing mfr, so why risk things. Dog & cat are still alive as they were the only ones that drank water thru the coach's system. Everyone else drank bottled water.

Thanks coveredwagon. In fact, I think your the one who directed me to that store last year!!.

Oregon_Camper

Jim, how did you mount the ClearSource filter set up in your Bighorn?

Honestly, as we are not full-timers, I don't think I will mount it. The thing is built like a TANK, so I figure I'll just have it in the basement and bring it out when needed. We dry camp a LOT, so it will be used for the times when we do go to full service spots (which is around 30% of our camping??)

There is another YouTube video of a guy that mounted it to his bumper. First...he mounted it backward, as the hose have to be flipped. :confused:

I don't care to have it outside where dirt and weather can become a factor and jolted from just normal driving. Let alone having it grow legs... :(

TedS

How is that filter used? It is connected to the antifreeze intake to the pump. Is it only for drawing water from the fresh water tank?

NYSUPstater

TedS,

We had something just like this on our '06 Silverback. Any/all water goes thru the filter. Doesn't make any diff if fresh or tank. I do see 2 valves by filter which we didn't have, so when winterizing, AF went into filter housing. The elimination of the filter by CC got my goat as that was one of their selling points back then. CC claims they had too many complaints on them leaking, so they quit putting them on. IMO, probly more like, "let's stop installing the filters and still charge the same or a tad more".