Georgia Class E License?

Rhyph

Howdy -

I'm trying to find anyone who has gone through this potential license class "upgrade" process? What did you have to do, how difficult was it, etc?

With the purchase of our SportChassis, I'm uncovering more interesting things, such as probably being required to have a class E driver's license. As I understand it, because the combined GVWR of the truck at 19,500lb plus our Road Warrior at 20,000lb blow away what I understand to be the normal class C license restrictions which read (from the GA DDS site) as follows:

Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 10,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of 10,000 pounds, provided that the combination of vehicles has a gross combined vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, and any self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance.

The Class E (formerly Non-Commercial Class A) states:
Truck trailer or tractor-semi trailer combination in which the combination weight exceeds 26,001 pounds and the unit being towed exceeds 10,000 pounds.

Applicants for a Driver’s License in Classes E or F (non-commercial) must submit a Form DDS-36 (Affidavit showing minimum driving experience of 3 months and/or 3,000 miles in type of vehicle for class of driver’s license being applied for.)

Based on that, I assume this is what I must do. In fact, if I base that knowledge in application to my previous truck (2014 Ram 3500 dually), I'm fairly certain I had been driving it also with an improper class of license because it's combined weight ratings also exceeded 26,000lb which is sorta shocking having never realized that before. I wonder how many other people do not realize this is most likely what is required to drive your truck and larger/heavier campers around (legally?)...

ATLJOHN

Rhyph. I have a class CM (motorcycle) license and if you look in the back it does state 26k and 10k trailer but if you read further it states
"All recreation vehicles". So I would guess the limit on driving commercial vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rxbristol

This is the first time I've heard of a Class E driver's license. Here's a link to different states' driver's license ratings/codes--link

mikeandconnie

Yes, I took the test last year and was the first person to take it at the Rome, Ga DMV. They had to figure it out alone with me. I'm not a trucker so all the information was new to me, but glade I study it because it very helpful towing. I read the CDL manual and took all the free tests on line i could find and passed it the first time.

Study the whole CDL manual even the airbrakes. The test will covers all the chapters. There was no road test.

I moved to Tennessee a few months later and they do not have a Non- Commercial CDL.

If you need more info just post it here or you can call me

Mike

Last edited:

Rhyph

Thanks for the info! Do you recall how many questions are one the test? I've got the book and I'm studying up. :cool:

bwdt

I noticed that it said Part time, or temporary housing? I guess that if you full time you don't need a class E? Just spitting hairs.......Sometimes I wonder why there are so many stupid rules that people follow. LOL. The only thing I want to know is if the person knows what they are doing, is safe and is able to cover a situation if their happens to be an accident. Just me.

No rule has ever stopped stupidity. LOL!