Odd hitch question

breid

I want to install a B&W companion in a new truck. Their website says the companion is rated at 18K #'s. My TH maxes out at 18K, is this a good match or do I need a safety margin for example a 20K hitch for a 18K GVWR TH?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I would call B&W and see what they say. The main question is what does your rigs actual weight. Have it weighed and then make a decision. I would like a little margin.

dewwood

I would also advise to contact B&W but I will have to say my B&W hitch is one of the most solidly built hitches I have ever seen. I have had others that were no where near the quality of this one.

Delaine and Lindy

breid, thats a good question and I also suggest you talk to a Rep at B&W. I also have a B&W and think its one of the best and strongest hitches on the market. When you get your answer please post and let us know. We are leaving for Texas in the AM and want have inter-net for a few days. GBY...

breid

I did contact them and was told it would be good. They are tested for more, obviously that number is top secret, but I was reassured that their 18K hitch will indeed haul a 18K trailer with no issues.

Country

I was told the same thing. They under rate to give a good amount of safety margin.

Last year at the PA show, I spent a good hour talking to one of the reps (we talked about racing and campers more than anything) and he told me the weight they really test them to and at what point they started to see failures. Believe me, from what he said, at 18k you won't have anything to worry about. He told me that the engineers kept trying to get the owner to at least rate them to 20k, but he wouldn't. His thinking is, if they rated at 20, some people would try and haul 22 or 24 and he wanted a large margin for safety especially for when people don't install them properly.... (Like the one fellow in another post said you don't need to loosen the U-bolts to remove or install.:confused:)

Just my experience on the subject...