Effective Dimmer Switch For Bighorn Interior Spotlights

BigGuy82

If you have a late model Bighorn (and probably other models) that has LED interior lighting and you want to be able to dim them (especially the extremely annoying ultra-bright one that shines in your face over the bed), here is the switch to order:

https://www.atcomp.com/product/ah-sld1-5-hs001/

It fits in the single switch opening perfectly. You have to order this directly from the manufacturer, American Technology Components because they don't have a distributor who will sell it to you (although they'll refer you to an outfit in British Columbia who supposedly is a dealer but is not). The cost is $35 plus $.88 handling plus applicable freight. A very similar switch on Amazon that does not work (it's a low side switch and it requires widening the opening), prices out at $72.64. In short, this is a good price.

Make sure this switch will work in your coach. This is an HS (high side) switch and you must have compatible wiring. To test this, pull the existing switch - if there are two wires, you are likely OK. However, to insure it will work, run a wire to a dependable ground (I chose the coach frame and ran a long wire through the door into the bedroom). Pull the wires from the switch and check with a volt meter - one should read 12V and the other should be dead.

Just an FYI. Good luck.

Gary521

OK, I give up. I do not need a detailed technical answer but I do not understand the high side low side thing. Which one works in the bedroom?

BigGuy82

OK, I give up. I do not need a detailed technical answer but I do not understand the high side low side thing. Which one works in the bedroom?

Just run the test I mentioned above and if you get the result I described, you need a high side switch (the one I linked to). I don't know all the tech stuff either - I just relied on the tech I talked to on the phone. Call American Technology and they'll 'splain it and point you in the right direction.

jbeletti

At the Tampa show this week, I saw that DRV still uses that rotary dimmer switch and now, with the LED lights, they flicker when knob rotation is at the bottom end (CCW) before you click the switch off.

Thinking this isn't a PWM dimmer. Maybe the high-side dimmer that was linked below is a better unit for LEDs.

VACHZHD

Here's an explanation and the link to more details if anyone is interested...

The definition of a high-side load switch is that it is controlled by an external enable signal, and connects or disconnects a power source (battery or adaptor) to a given load. Compared to a low-sideload switch, a high-side switch sources current to the load, while the low-side type connects or disconnects the load to ground, and therefore sinks current from the load.

The high-side load switch differs from a high-side power switch. The high-side power switch manages the output power and, therefore, typically limits its output current. Conversely, the high-side load switch passes the input voltage and current to the load and, as such, it does not incorporate the current-limiting function.

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1272366