Stinky Toilet

We are having an issue with the bathroom in the garage causing quite a stink, literally. I have opened the window in the bathroom, wiped down the floor, walls, and toilet, and just sprayed air freshener in the bathroom. The smell that permeates through the garage area, and into the living quarters if the door is left open, is quite terrible. It is not a sewage smell, but a urine smell. I have a washer/dryer back there and the drain for that is directly into the black tank, but I wrapped the hoses together. I don't think the smell is coming from there, it is more in the bathroom. Any ideas of what could be happening?

Thanks and cheers,

Nic

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You might have a leak at the seal under your toilet. Remove the toilet and inspect/replace the seal.
Does your washer drain have a P-trap?

Peace
Dave

Dave,
The washer drain does have a pee trap. I will pull the toilet in the next few days. I do not notice anything leaking under it, but better check. We are thinking of replacing the toilets in the RV anyway. Is there a connecter anyone knows about to better seal the washer drain into the existing pipe? I currently have aluminum foil wrapped around the washer drain and pipe to "seal" it. Could be getting some gasses through there.

Cheers,

Nic

MikeandDar

We have a Cyclone 4250 and at times there is a bad smell from the rear bath as well. My thoughts are there is a studor valve that is bad under the sink that is allowing foul oders to come from the gray tank. I haven't checked mine yet, but plan on it before our season starts. I will probably switch out all the studor valves for good measure.
Good luck!!

Lynn1130

Cookie mentioned this but unused P-traps are one of the biggest stink offenders. They do not get used for some time, dry up and allow gasses to enter from the tanks. Both black and gray can stink like XXXX or worse at times. In addition if there is an air leak of some sort from one of the tanks a running air condition, furnace or fan can pull the odor from the tanks.

OK so update, found out my beautiful daughter had had a couple of accidents through the night and did not tell mom or dad. Nice of her to try to clean up on her own, but the heat belt in the AC unit blowing across old urine does not smell to great. That said the toilet is still very stinky. I found the strutor valve, would there be just one for the washer/dryer drain and the toilet both? Next question is how do I tell if it is bad, beside the smell?
Thanks

Gaffer

The one in your trailer costs 5 to 6 bucks
A real one is more like 15 to 20. I and many others have just replaced them with positive results.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
OK so update, found out my beautiful daughter had had a couple of accidents through the night and did not tell mom or dad. Nice of her to try to clean up on her own, but the heat belt in the AC unit blowing across old urine does not smell to great. That said the toilet is still very stinky. I found the strutor valve, would there be just one for the washer/dryer drain and the toilet both? Next question is how do I tell if it is bad, beside the smell?
Thanks
Place a baggy or plastic wrap around to seal it. If the smell goes away, that was the problem. I've replace both of mine.

Valve is replaced and I am going to lift the toilet at our next stop if the problem persists. Thanks for all your help.

Cheers