Water coming out of overflows

ORV1980

Sherman
I filled the fresh water tank to about two thirds because we are going to be in a place where we do not have water hook up. My wife was following in the car as I was towing the rig to the new location. She said there was water coming out of both overflows when going down the road. When we arrived there was ice under both sides near the overflows since it was freezing out.
Is it normal for the overflows to leak when driving down the road?

jbeletti

Sounds like water sloshing in the tank and out the overflow/vent lines. I'd say it's normal.

That said, you could add valves to the ends of those lines but you MUST remember to open the valves for filling and using the tank. Close the valves only for travel.

hoefler

We were loosing over 1/2 of our fresh when traveling, especially in hilly areas over a 6 hour drive. When I resupported the fresh tank, I found there was 3 overflows and 1 vent. I eliminated 2 overflows and installed a valve in the one that remained.

Gaffer

The problem with putting valves on the overflows is that if you don't remember to open them when connected to city water they can be overfilled when the O rings on the Anderson valves start seeping or worse leaking to the fresh water fill.

Lynn1130

I don't have an Andersen valve so don't worry about that particular item.

I would hesitate to close off any of the overflows as that would, I think, increase pressure in the tanks when filling. The one pathway that is provided specifically for pressure/overflow is not enough relief should you open the water fill too much even with all of the overflows provided. If you have ever done that and then pulled the hose out you get a bath with water coming back out of the fill from pressure build up. That pressure can expand tanks and loosen crossover connections. Ask me how I know.

I do have valves on all of mine with a note in my check list to open and close when filling or moving.

Gary521

I don't have an Andersen valve so don't worry about that particular item.

I would hesitate to close off any of the overflows as that would, I think, increase pressure in the tanks when filling. The one pathway that is provided specifically for pressure/overflow is not enough relief should you open the water fill too much even with all of the overflows provided. If you have ever done that and then pulled the hose out you get a bath with water coming back out of the fill from pressure build up. That pressure can expand tanks and loosen crossover connections. Ask me how I know.

I do have valves on all of mine with a note in my check list to open and close when filling or moving.

The gravity fill system that you have often gets water in the vent. Prior to filling, remove the water by blowing the water out of the vent line. I carried a small plastic hose, about the size of the vent opening, I placed the hose over the vent and blew the line clear. If you can hear the vent gurgling, the vent is clear. I had the water bath myself until I started doing this.

Lynn1130

Thanks Gary but that is/was not the problem with mine. The problem has since been resolved but I turned the water on too fast which caused the tank(s) to expand even thought the relief vent was open and clear. That popped the crossover loose. When we dropped everything to repair, we replaced the cheap 1/2 ply with 3/4 inch and added extensions to the overflows to bring them below the coroplast and added valves.

ORV1980

Sherman
I like the idea of adding valves to the overflows. Having water flushing out as i drive down the road seems rude. Somebody behind me might think it is other than clean water.

jerryjay11

I like the idea of adding valves to the overflows. Having water flushing out as i drive down the road seems rude. Somebody behind me might think it is other than clean water.

Isn't that what windshield wipers are made for? Besides maybe they will back of of your bumper more. :cool:

DCD2017

I had this happen to me, arrived at dry camping spot to find out I had half a tank of water. I plan to install valves to the overflow.

Oregon_Camper

Not enough to worry about. It is just the water sloshing. I wouldn't bother with it.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I lost over 1/3 of my water on a 5 hour drive once. To fix this, I purchased 2 valves and tubing from Amazon. I attached the tubing to the overflow valve and routed the tubing down the auto-level jack. My wife created the sticker shown in the second image to remind me to open the valves when I add water to the tank.

Valve on Amazon

Tubing on Amazon

Capture.jpg Capture 2.jpg

Lynn1130

I, too, disagree. It is more than a little water if you do not have something set up to keep the water in the tanks (valves) and it becomes a very important item when dry camping and you get to your camp with 70 gallons of the 100+ you started out with.

jbeletti

...I purchased 2 valves and tubing from Amazon. I attached the tubing to the overflow valve and routed the tubing down the auto-level jack...

Jim - nice job of installing your fresh tank vent valves and making them accessible. That said, the closer they get to the ground, the more crud / critter prone they may be. Wondering if there's an even better way to do this? You smart guys will figure it out :)

jerryjay11

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I lost over 1/3 of my water on a 5 hour drive once. To fix this, I purchased 2 valves and tubing from Amazon. I attached the tubing to the overflow valve and routed the tubing down the auto-level jack. My wife created the sticker shown in the second image to remind me to open the valves when I add water to the tank.

Valve on Amazon

Tubing on Amazon

View attachment 56243 View attachment 56244

Your first post didn't say you lost as much water as you did. If I had known how much I would had to agree it is too much.

CDN

B and B
I installed two pieces of clear tubing and put a 360 degree loop in it. This has stopped the siphoning off the tank after filling. We usually top off then drive to our campsite, this stopped the loss in our case but allows the overflow to function.

I have thought about running the overflows to the docking station and put a valve there to turn when filling. Concerned of the anderson valve fails.

I noted at the trailer show the Redwood has a gravity fill and no anderson valve, I have no idea if they ever had one.