Ford's camera system integration

jbs80122

Has anyone with a newer Ford Super Duty tried integrating the backup camera into Ford's system? I'm curious as to what the "backup camera prep" feature on new units is including.

Thanks!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I looked in to it for our 2011. I went to ford and a car electronics installer and was told no at both places due to the ford system being hard wired and the camera on the trailer being wireless.

LBR

Has anyone with a newer Ford Super Duty tried integrating the backup camera into Ford's system? I'm curious as to what the "backup camera prep" feature on new units is including.

Thanks!
Probably referring to the 7th camera option if you so desire.

porthole

Retired

Thanks!

Newer as in how newer, 2017+ ?

On the 2016 and earlier you can buy a kit, essentially 'jail breaking' the radio and get a 2nd camera on the screen.
Don't recall the product though.

Ford Truck Enthusiast is a great Ford forum

This is a 6.7 Diesel section (2011+)
There is also a 2017+ section.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/

jbeletti

On my 2017 Super Duty, the trailer camera is wired. I have the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System option.

If there truly is a wireless option that will work natively with the head unit in my truck, I'd be interested.

bdb2047

Newer as in how newer, 2017+ ?

On the 2016 and earlier you can buy a kit, essentially 'jail breaking' the radio and get a 2nd camera on the screen.
Don't recall the product though.

Ford Truck Enthusiast is a great Ford forum

This is a 6.7 Diesel section (2011+)
There is also a 2017+ section.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/

Lockpick for 16 and older
https://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch.htm
I have the camera and TPMS system for 17 and later. It works good lacks some features that would make it better. Can not look at while driving is one

porthole

Retired
Lockpick - that's it, couldn't remember the name.

Some people like it, I think it makes the radio more difficult to operate, accessing the extras etc.

I suppose if enough of the 201+ crowd bend an ear to the Lockpick folks, you just might get what you need.

1wolf

My thought is to try a wireless camera that transmits to my phone and us the phone apps usb integration to display the camera. Anyone tried this? and with what camera?

CarterKraft

I have been following that thread on the Ford forum. Over $600 to get all the options working.

Way too pricey for me.

I am wondering if the video in motion Forscan changes allows the 360 camera to work in motion? I would really like that feature if I go through the trouble of adding the 7th camera.
Not so much the 360 cameras but the 7th for sure.

mapper

i am a new member, and also member on ford forums beerleg over there.
i have a '19 superduty with ultimate camera package and nav tv cod 53 setup.
i have a y pigtail for accessory camera coil cord run in the bumper as well as the bed, as only 1 input at a time is used. i also have a bed mounted camera that views 90 degrees to the bed camera and is on a upfitter switch for the cod 53 unit, in the truck bed is a cargoglide 2200, with gooseneck cutout, and a b&w turnover hitch underneath. on top of the bed is a truck covers tonneau cover with the small toolbox over the cannister.

on my car hauler i ran a coil cord connector on the tounge, ahd cable back to a 4 inch outlet box, then welded a 3/4" coupler in the trailer and have the camera mounted on a peice of threaded all rod and a metal electrical box.

it works great with the cabled syatem, shows as aux camera on ford system and can be used at speed with nav tv.

ill do similar setups on my boat trailers.

now for the question..
im looking at a lynx 285
and would like the wired camera setup as well.
im not worried about the hardware end as i have cables and cameras, and mounts
but was looking for a cleaner install than running a cable over the roof to the tounge.

i have searched a lot of threads and saw hints where cables were fished through rear lights and down to the bottom, then run underneath but i cant seem to find anything other than passing remarks of those.

if someone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated,
im totally new to rv, but not other things.
im mainly looking for consistiency that will work with the other setups i have.

Thanks
Mapper

porthole

Retired
Have any problems with the COD53?

Not happy with mone. It never returns to the previous camera and at times just goes blank.
The side view cameras on turns is nice though.