help with extended warranites

AstroFL

I have a torque TT toy hauler and the 1 year manufacturers warranty is about to expire. I am considering getting a third party warranty and am looking for anyone who has some experience. I am currently looking at RVing Solutions and their Eagle programs, Wholesale Warranties and their Viking program, and Good sam. So far it appears that RVing Solutions and their Eagle plans have come in the cheapest. I am a big believer in getting what you pay for as i am kind of a techy guy. So this scares me a bit. However, when i compare the three programs everybody looks pretty **** similar. So i am asking if anyone has any experience with any of these companies because if i am going to put money into a warranty then i want to know they will pay claims. No issues up to this point (knock on wood) but i want the piece of mind. Any feedback would be great

Thanks

danemayer

I had Good Sam for several years and broke even. But there were several things where the coverage paid nothing, either because of exclusions, or because of deductible. The deductible is variable in both cost and in coverage. The exclusions are in the details. The information is not hidden, but you do have to dive into the details to understand in advance of purchase.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Read the fine print very carefully!

Lots of times there are so many maintenance requirements that you must do exactly the way they say (whether this stuff needs to be done or not) before they'll cover you that the price of the warranty just isn't worth it.

Some of these warranties are designed more to make the BMW payments of the loan sharks than to cover their customer's issues.

And just because a dealership is selling it to you when you purchase your RV doesn't mean diddly.

I won't go into my story, but we had a bad experience with the extended warranty on our previous TT.

The name of the company has changed several times since then (three years ago) and I lost track of who they are now.

They were N*Compass.

Oh . . . and take all of the online reviews with a grain of salt.

AstroFL

I had Good Sam for several years and broke even. But there were several things where the coverage paid nothing, either because of exclusions, or because of deductible. The deductible is variable in both cost and in coverage. The exclusions are in the details. The information is not hidden, but you do have to dive into the details to understand in advance of purchase.

What was your deductible like? From what i am looking at i can either have a $100.00 or $200.00 deductible. Fortunately your response pretty much eliminates good sam because they are looking for either $500 or $1000 in the deductible. If i lower that deductible the pricing becomes outrageous. So i will continue to look at the Eagle and Viking programs and see what comes of it. Thank you again for your reply

bwdt

I recently read the eagle plan, low end policy, It's not worth the paper its printed on. You need to read them carefully, very carefully.

jerryjay11

This is our first new camper and for the "Piece of Mind" alone I purchased the GS ESP on our 2018 Pioneer. Not that I expect anything will go wrong, but I haven't won the PowerBall yet so my luck isn't enough to rely on. After the past 2 TT/MH's and repairing/replacing brake rotors, leaf spring shackles, water heater, Roof AC seals, roof recoat, soft floors, plumbing, engine computers, transmission solenoids and harness, etc., etc. and plus I am not getting any younger I thought I'd have the "Piece of Mind" to let someone else do the labor. With RV labor costs up there around $300 an hour and my plan costing me around $428 per year for the next 7 years, the math works out for me. Just one major repair could potentially pay for 2 years of my ESP. But before purchasing any plan, before going into the dealer, read every word of the plan to be sure it is what you are looking for. Be diligent on any maintenance requirements to prevent any arbitration.

As a retired HVAC/R and Home Appliance Technician I have experienced many unhappy homeowners that didn't spring for an SP and many happy more homeowners that were very happy they did.

P.S. My GS ESP deductible is $100.00 or $50 if I use my selling dealer.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We Purchases the Cornerstone ESP when we bought our Landmark 7 years ago. We believe it has paid for itself and more. New AC, new Dryer, 2 cooling unit replacement on the frig, 2 new ice makers for the frig, along with server repairs and even a replacement on a grey water tank. And even a new 43" TV. All with a the that came to our location.

Read the fine print, find a tech that's not afraid to work with the ESP company, and use it. Most are not good, but they are out there, that do work.

MTPockets

We used Cornerstone and were full time users for four years. In the end, we broke even. Also, as others have stated, read the entire contract very carefully before you buy. I don’t believe they cover any structural, roof, tires, suspension... frame, and more. Pretty much, coverage is for appliances, A/C, heat, dump valves. Most are better off without the warranty. Better odds if you use full time...

BobTheBuilder

they are essentially an insurance policy. John D.'s comments are right on. Read the maintainence requirements on EVERY piece of equipment, not just Heartland list. And will you be traveling a lot? Not much breaks down that you can't fix if you are staying put a lot. I cancelled mine and feel I saved a lot of money.

MikeR

I have a torque TT toy hauler and the 1 year manufacturers warranty is about to expire. I am considering getting a third party warranty and am looking for anyone who has some experience. I am currently looking at RVing Solutions and their Eagle programs, Wholesale Warranties and their Viking program, and Good sam. So far it appears that RVing Solutions and their Eagle plans have come in the cheapest. I am a big believer in getting what you pay for as i am kind of a techy guy. So this scares me a bit. However, when i compare the three programs everybody looks pretty **** similar. So i am asking if anyone has any experience with any of these companies because if i am going to put money into a warranty then i want to know they will pay claims. No issues up to this point (knock on wood) but i want the piece of mind. Any feedback would be great

Thanks

As part of your investigation, I would talk to Wholesale Warranties. They are endorsed by Escapees RV Club. If you are familiar with the website RoadsLessTraveled.com, they have had very good luck with the warranty they purchased through Wholesale Warranties. I have no connection with either Wholesale Warranties or Roads Less Traveled. I currently have a warranty through Good Sam Club. I will be talking to Wholesales Warranties, before renewing my Good Sam warranty this year. I can't complain about Good Sam, but I haven't had any claims either. I've just heard good things about Wholesale Warranties.

Kandy

We used Cornerstone and were full time users for four years. In the end, we broke even. Also, as others have stated, read the entire contract very carefully before you buy. I don’t believe they cover any structural, roof, tires, suspension... frame, and more. Pretty much, coverage is for appliances, A/C, heat, dump valves. Most are better off without the warranty. Better odds if you use full time...

Do you still have Cornerstone? I'm having trouble finding a contact to talk to. If you could help with a website or phone it would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rawhide

Be sure to read the exclusions. I turned in a claim for 4 items. All we denied. Our unit is a 2017 so it's not that old. The main slide shifted and jambed against the opening. Caught the edge of the slide roof and tore it. Both the factory and the extended warranty denied our claim. The warranty company requires all maintained be performed as recommended by the factory. This could get very costly. Then when you read the exclusions you have to wonder. Is anything covered at all? In our case no. Oh, the fuel gauge on our unit never worked. We had it back twice. They worked on it but failed to correct the problem. By the time we took it back a third time our factory warranty was up. Now we had to pay a $50 deductible. They replaced a fuel switch. It worked for one day and quit again.

BobTheBuilder

Re: help with extended warranites--are they worth it!

The extended warranties are pure and simply, a purchased insurance policy. I have worked in the past for insurance companies and I don't consider the extended warranties worth the paper that they are written on! We purchased a used 2011 Bighorn that came with a transferable (and could be cancelled) extended warranty. After reading it carefully and then reviewing the Heartland maintenance list that MUST be done (and logged) to comply with the terms of the warranty, I cancelled mine and got over $3,000 back. If you are considering one, I strongly suggest you read both documents in detail first, be sure you know what is NOT covered and all the regular checks, etc. that you must do to be sure you have complied with all the terms.

b_king1

After reading this form I'm thinking about getting a full refund on my EW. I bought a leftover 2018 Torque 345. The EW made my payments go up $21 a month for 10 years. So my wife convinced me to buy it. But if its useless why have it. I've done all of own work on previous toy haulers we've owned so why not continue. :) What do you guys think?

danemayer

After reading this form I'm thinking about getting a full refund on my EW. I bought a leftover 2018 Torque 345. The EW made my payments go up $21 a month for 10 years. So my wife convinced me to buy it. But if its useless why have it. I've done all of own work on previous toy haulers we've owned so why not continue. :) What do you guys think?
A lot depends on what the details are. Most extended warranties cover appliances, and little else. But a few cover more. Look over the details to see what's covered and what's excluded. Also consider the deductible. For example, the policy may cover the Power Converter, but if you have a $250 deductible, you'll get a check for $3 if your Power Converter fails. On the other hand, if you have a traditional gas absorption refrigerator, a cooling unit replacement may run as much as $2,000.

b_king1

A lot depends on what the details are. Most extended warranties cover appliances, and little else. But a few cover more. Look over the details to see what's covered and what's excluded. Also consider the deductible. For example, the policy may cover the Power Converter, but if you have a $250 deductible, you'll get a check for $3 if your Power Converter fails. On the other hand, if you have a traditional gas absorption refrigerator, a cooling unit replacement may run as much as $2,000.

Good point. I mauled it over for about 30 minutes at the dealership and your right about what it covers. and that the appliances and a/c, heat etc. BUT it does not cover slides or any suspension. I paid $500 Cash for a tire and wheel warranty that covers my 5th wheel tires and wheels and my dually tires and wheels. I'm going to keep that for sure. But like in was saying this form is turning me against the extended rv warranty. I can not for the life of me find anything about required maintenance. I does read about accidental damage is not covered, but that's a no brainer. Thanks for the response.
Kevin P