Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C RV Hardwired Surge & Electrical Integrity Installation

BigGuy82

After leaving two too many Dog Bones on RV park power pedestals, I decided to install a permanent circuit protector. I chose Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C with remote digital readout. The attached pictures are of my 2017 Bighorn 3010RE. I located it behind the basement concealment panels, next to my generator transfer switch. I put the remote digital readout on the bedroom step riser simply because it offered easy access. Installation was straight forward but as with anything else, read the directions thoroughly before starting. The device is well built and the only improvement I can suggest is that I'd like to see it in a slightly larger box - it's a little difficult working with heavy gauge wire in a limited space.

IMG_1912.JPGIMG_1914.JPG

I spent more time during the installation properly securing the basement panels during reinstallation. They were poorly secured and most of the screws into the thin particle board were stripped out. The wiring looked like a grammar school kid did it, so I spent quite a bit of time securing it to the sub-frame and bundling it with wire ties. A simple thing like securing TV cable wiring to a splitter was done by hand and the connections were loose to the point of disconnecting. Really, what does it take to give four connectors a turn with a pair of pliers? Not surprising though - every single TV cable connection in this coach was done loosely by hand - almost like someone wanted them to fail. Overall, the floor behind the panels was loaded with construction debris. In short, zero pride ion workmanship.

Overall, this is a nice upgrade to have - you are always assured of top quality electrical service protection without needing to do anything but plugging in the coach.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We chose the Progressive as well! I was fortunate to have enough room to be able to locate it just downstream from the transfer switch. This allowed installation leaving original wire lengths. I just needed to add about a foot of wire between the transfer switch and surge protector. If we ever decide to get another coach I can remove the surge protector and restore wiring to original in just a few minutes time.

esscobra

sounds like wiring I found as well - check the connections in transfer switch as well most were loose and on of the hot leads pretty much came right out and had cuts in insulation where I could see the copper wire where it had been sliced

avvidclif

I found the transfer switch behind a compartment on the side of the RV next to the power in. I mounted the HW50 on top of the transfer switch box. It would be simple to remove and revert to factory as no wires were cut. The picture shows the side of the rv and the compartment, next is inside it, and last is what is behind the back wall of the compartment. Bottom box is transfer and top is HW50.

Attachments

• IMG_0467 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0467 (Medium).JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0480 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0480 (Medium).JPG
    200 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0478 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0478 (Medium).JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 137
I have just bought the EMS HW50C for our 3270RS.
Getting ready to install it as soon as I have a decent warm day here in Missouri.
Question: I was told on another thread that the unit had to be mounted vertically.
I see one pic on this thread where it looks vertical and one that is mounted flat.
I just can't see where that would make a difference and I didn't see anything about that in my instructions.
Thoughts??

Mark & Peggy Turnbough #3654
2017 BigHorn 3270RS
2016 Ford F-250, King Ranch
6.7 Diesel
Air Lift Ultimate 5000 Air Bags
Line X Bed Liner

First Rally This June In Michigan
IMG_2942.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C RV Hardwired Surge & Electrical Integrity Installation

Mine, and the converter, has been vertical for several years and continues to work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjones1969

I installed mine in a SOB trailer in 2014, removed it and installed it in the Cyclone in March 2017, both have been mounted flat and have had no issues

Gary521

Getting ready to install it as soon as I have a decent warm day here in Missouri.
Question: I was told on another thread that the unit had to be mounted vertically.
I see one pic on this thread where it looks vertical and one that is mounted flat.
I just can't see where that would make a difference and I didn't see anything about that in my instructions.
Thoughts??

Mark & Peggy Turnbough #3654
2017 BigHorn 3270RS
2016 Ford F-250, King Ranch
6.7 Diesel
Air Lift Ultimate 5000 Air Bags
Line X Bed Liner

First Rally This June In Michigan
View attachment 56296

I does not matter what orientation that you install the unit

BigGuy82

I just can't see where that would make a difference and I didn't see anything about that in my instructions
Can’t see why it would matter. It’s just a bunch of relays and circuit boards. More importantly, there’s nothing in the directions that mentions orientation.

cos

Just installed my HWC50 yesterday. When doing jesstalkn’s water pump mod for noise I noticed that the surge protector is buzzing, nothing i can hear in the living area and i know some transformers do this but just wondering if this is normal. All read outs from the surge protector are fine. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

BigGuy82

Just installed my HWC50 yesterday. When doing jesstalkn’s water pump mod for noise I noticed that the surge protector is buzzing, nothing i can hear in the living area and i know some transformers do this but just wondering if this is normal. All read outs from the surge protector are fine. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

Call the manufacturer. Anything you get off of this forum is just an opinion. When it comes to electrical, talk to the people who designed it.

porthole

Retired
Re: Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C RV Hardwired Surge & Electrical Integrity Installation

Call the manufacturer. Anything you get off of this forum is just an opinion. When it comes to electrical, talk to the people who designed it.

:rolleyes: - since you brought it up.

09/14/17 I posted this question to Progressive.

Hello,

I have a HW-50 in my 5th wheel. This year it has started to hum-buzz and has become loud enough to be heard throughout the front half of the camper at times.

What could be causing this ?

This was the reply:

Hello Duane, I am sorry to hear of your difficulty with your HW50C.
Some humming can be present, because of the 60 hertz alternating current flowing through the unit. You can reduce the volume of the humming by taking the following steps.
1. Without power to the coach, locate the contactor inside the main EMS box. There is a white label on the contactor cover, with a black square in its' center. Rapidly move the square in and out to free any debris. If not successful, remove the cover and inspect for and remove any dirt or debris.
2. The mounting surface can sometimes amplify the hum. Placing rubber
washers ( Like, flat faucet washers ) between the surface and mounting
tabs, can reduce the volume.
If these actions are not successful, please contact me.

Regards,
Donald
Customer Support

cos

Re: Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C RV Hardwired Surge & Electrical Integrity Installation

:rolleyes: - since you brought it up.

09/14/17 I posted this question to Progressive.

Hello,

I have a HW-50 in my 5th wheel. This year it has started to hum-buzz and has become loud enough to be heard throughout the front half of the camper at times.

What could be causing this ?

This was the reply:

Hello Duane, I am sorry to hear of your difficulty with your HW50C.
Some humming can be present, because of the 60 hertz alternating current flowing through the unit. You can reduce the volume of the humming by taking the following steps.
1. Without power to the coach, locate the contactor inside the main EMS box. There is a white label on the contactor cover, with a black square in its' center. Rapidly move the square in and out to free any debris. If not successful, remove the cover and inspect for and remove any dirt or debris.
2. The mounting surface can sometimes amplify the hum. Placing rubber
washers ( Like, flat faucet washers ) between the surface and mounting
tabs, can reduce the volume.
If these actions are not successful, please contact me.

Regards,
Donald
Customer Support

Thanks Guys,

The buzzing sound is very slight, only reason I noticed it was because my ear was right beside it while doing the water pump mod. Not going to worry about it unless it gets louder

Thanks again