Progressive EMS HW50 install for a Big Horn 3270RS

Anyone install this EMS in a 3270?
I have the unit and I am wondering if it is best placed in the basement or behind the breaker box.
If in the basement I have read that I would need a 6' piece of 6/3SO wire.
Why not 6/4? I thought 50 amp had 4 wires.

Also, I believe it would be a real challenge to run the data cable up through the wall to the switch panel.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I do not have a generator so I am assuming there is no transfer switch on this rig.

Mark Turnbough
2017 3270RS

'Lil Guy'

- - - Updated - - -

Put mine behind the basement wall. If I'm not mistaken, there was an abundance of the 4/6 cable used to bring the power from the outside receptacle chord. We just cut it and spliced the EMS in the middle. Done. Mounted the display in kitchen area near fuse panel Drilled hole big enough to get the plug thru wall to reach EMS and mounted the display over hole.
I did buy a piece of the 4/6 cable but didn't use it.

Oregon_Camper

You shouldn't have any problem running the data cable. Just get a fish-tape and someone else to help. Have them run the tape down the back wall, while you're in the basement area (as close to the front as possible).

I've run 3 data wires this way...:cool:

Just drop the main panel, giving you EASY access to the back area, where you will run the data cable.

Capture.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had our dealer install ours before we took delivery of the rig and they put it behind the breaker panel. Not very accessible there, so I moved it towards the basement wall on the extension of the main floor. Later, I moved it and the converter to a mounting on the side of the bedroom step frame to get them away from possible water leaks. Good thing, too, since the black tank flush anti-siphon valve was directly above the spot where the converter was. It decided to break two years ago and flood the area below.

CDN

B and B
I had our dealer install ours before we took delivery of the rig and they put it behind the breaker panel. Not very accessible there, so I moved it towards the basement wall on the extension of the main floor. Later, I moved it and the converter to a mounting on the side of the bedroom step frame to get them away from possible water leaks. Good thing, too, since the black tank flush anti-siphon valve was directly above the spot where the converter was. It decided to break two years ago and flood the area below.

I installed mine directly behind the breakers panel. Ran the display to the switch panel. I added as ring TB connector and soldered the ground wire after crimping, used heat shrink as well. I did not want a bare copper wire floating around.

IMG_2509.jpgIMG_2499.jpgIMG_2500.jpgIMG_2501.jpg

CoveredWagon

A3F8C9E4-A342-4831-B24E-310DF0199F1F.jpgF67FA55B-996B-4320-B589-3C4B950B8B4E.jpg
Anyone install this EMS in a 3270?
I have the unit and I am wondering if it is best placed in the basement or behind the breaker box.
If in the basement I have read that I would need a 6' piece of 6/3SO wire.
Why not 6/4? I thought 50 amp had 4 wires.

Also, I believe it would be a real challenge to run the data cable up through the wall to the switch panel.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I do not have a generator so I am assuming there is no transfer switch on this rig.

Mark Turnbough
2017 3270RS

Mark I sure did. I removed the panel at the bottom of the cabinet next to the breaker panel. The one with the little hole in the first picture. That’s where I screwed the EMS to the floor. Then I fished the remote wire up to install the remote readout next to the switch panel.
I purchaed a piece of 6/4 SO wire and then stripped the individual wires out of the casing so they’d be very flexible. Makes for a clean installation.

Last edited:

Alan_B

I put mine behind the circuit breaker panel in our 3570RS (very similar design).

I have a post with photos. Look for it under Bighorn Modifications. Sorry I can’t include a link to that post (too hard from my phone keyboard).