Water Heater Drain Valve

imchud

I had a Jayco 5er that I traided up for the 3385 Big Horn... On the Jayco the water heater never had a Alum Rod that went into the water Heater, just a plug... So I put in a small Drain Valve and everytime I was done using the camper for the weekend or for the week I would open the valve and drain the tank... On the Big Horn it has the Alum Rod, so my question is how do you drain the tank without removing the rod, or maybe you don't... If not, it would seem that the water in the tank would have to be cycled throught the system after it has been sitting for a few weeks?? Do you think it would hurt if i put the drain valve on this one? because i don't like the thought of leaving that water laying in the tank for a few weeks or sometimes longer... Also you should know I always use full hook ups, I don't use the Fresh Water tank on the Coach... Thanks

Tom

jbeletti

Tom,

Your Jayco may have had an Atwood brand water heater that has an aluminum inner tank or lining that itself, acts like an anode and therefore had no replaceable anode rod.

Suburban water heaters have glass-lined inner tanks and therefore require an anode rod. You really need to leave it in there during the camping season.

It is the place where you would drain your water heater tank.

Jim

On Edit: I researched this a bit more and updated my statement above.

Last edited: